4 comments

Teens & Young Adult Coming of Age Contemporary

Exam season was in full swing, and the air was tense. At the university, Students everywhere were spending most of their time hunched over books and laptops, cramming for their upcoming tests. Which often lasts from a week to 2 weeks, depending on how many subjects they took. Anya was no exception. She had been studying for weeks, but she still felt like she didn't know enough. To pass this chemistry test, she worried over every test, even the tiny quizzes. Anya carried a 4.0, but she always pushed herself so hard. Anya always studied until her head hurt or she would fall asleep over her books. She was known to her roommates and the dorm where she stayed as the bookworm. Anya did not go to any of the campus parties. In fact, Anya did not even have a boyfriend; she found that having a boyfriend was only a distraction, so she kept her distance from dating. Once in a while, she would take a break and go to a movie, but her mind always went back to what she needed to study. 

One morning, Anya was sitting in the library, desperately trying to focus on her studies. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't shake the feeling of anxiety that was building in her chest. She kept thinking about all the things that could go wrong. What if she could not remember everything that she had studied? What if she failed her exams? What if she didn't get into her dream school?

Anya tried to push these thoughts away, but they were too persistent. She felt like she was trapped in a spiral of panic. Her heart was racing, her palms were sweaty, and her breathing was shallow. Her hands started trembling. Her heart began beating faster, and her stomach became so upset that she felt like she was going to throw up. She couldn't concentrate on her studies at all. Anya thought that she lacked confidence in her preparation for her exams. With so many questions running through her head, she thought of everything that could go wrong while taking the exam. As she looked up from her books, the room seemed to tile, and she lost focus for a few. Seconds.

Anya decided she better take a break and walk to clear her head. She stepped outside and took a deep breath of the fresh air. As she took a deep breath, Anya closed her eyes momentarily. She turned her thoughts to the smell of the air. She could smell the rain and the light breeze of the wind, even though the panic spiral followed her. She started to feel dizzy and lightheaded. Her vision blurred once again, and she felt like she was going to pass out.

Anya staggered to a nearby bench and sat down. She lay her head on the back. She tried to calm herself down, but it was no use. The panic was too overwhelming. She started to cry uncontrollably.

A few minutes later, Anya felt a hand on her shoulder. She looked up and saw her friend, Sarah, standing over her.

"Anya, are you okay?" Sarah asked.

Anya shook her head. "No," she said. "I think I'm having a panic attack."

Sarah sat down next to Anya and put her arm around her. "It's okay," she said. "You're not alone. I also sometimes have panic attacks before." Exams as well. 

Sarah talked to Anya for a while about family and friends, who they both knew doing her best to help Anya calm down. When Sarah knew that Anya was calm enough to listen, Sarah taught Anya some breathing techniques that she had learned, which allowed her to manage her anxiety.

After a while, Anya started to feel better. She thanked Sarah for her help.

"I don't know what I would have done without you," she said.

"That's what friends are for," Sarah said.

          *****

Anya's panic attack was a wake-up call. She realized that she was pushing herself too hard and that she needed to take care of her mental health. She started to see a therapist, who taught her how to manage her anxiety and stress.

But even with therapy, Anya still had occasional panic attacks. As the exam season drew closer, Anya noticed that she became Mentally exhausted, leading to feelings of mental fatigue and tiredness. Anya ignored the warning signs and continued to press through her studies.

Not long after this while, Anya was in the library studying when she had another panic attack. This time, the attack was so severe that she blacked out and fell from her chair. The librarian called for an ambulance, and Anya was taken to the hospital.

Anya was admitted to the hospital for a few days. She was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder. The doctors gave her medication so she could rest. Anya spent 3 days in the hospital.

Anya was discharged from the hospital 3 days later. But she was still feeling anxious and overwhelmed. Anya spent some time deciding if she could handle the pressure of exam season.

            **********

Anya decided to talk to her professors about her mental health. She explained that she was struggling with anxiety and panic disorder and that she was worried about her upcoming exams. 

Anya's professors were very understanding. They gave her extensions on her assignments and deadlines. They also offered to meet outside of class to help her with her studies.

Anya was grateful for her professors' support. She started to feel less overwhelmed about exam season. She knew that she had a lot of work to do, but she was confident that she could handle it as long as she had the support of her professors and her mental health professionals. Her therapist also gave her the following advice.

                          **

Experiencing panic attacks during the exam season can be challenging, but there are several strategies and techniques that Anya can use to overcome or manage panic attacks and reduce anxiety. Here are some helpful tips:

When Anya felt a panic attack coming on, she could close her eyes, take slow, deep breaths in through her nose, and exhale slowly through her mouth. This can help calm Anya's nervous system.

Anya had to Learn mindfulness and meditation techniques to stay present and reduce racing thoughts. These practices can help so she can remain focused during the exam.

It took a while for Anya to get the hang of Replacing negative thoughts with positive and calming affirmations. Which could give Anya the room to think that it's okay to make mistakes.

Being more Adequately prepared can boost her confidence. Reviewed the material well in advance of the exam.

Anya needed to change how she studied. She decided it was a good idea to have a study schedule to cover all the necessary material without cramming. Offen cramming leads to anxiety.

Anya needed to change her lifestyle by Prioritizing a healthy lifestyle by getting enough sleep, eating nutritious meals, and engaging in regular physical activity. These factors can significantly impact stress levels and overall well-being.

Anya made a regular appointment with her therapist, or Anya could go to Sarah's and talk about her feelings. Voicing her concerns and seeking support was very helpful.

 Anya also Learned to practice relaxation techniques such as progressive muscle relaxation guided imagery; she enjoyed doing yoga the best and often would go to yoga classes. 

One of the best things that Anya had to think about and do was that she needed to keep herself dehydrated because dehydration will exacerbate feelings of anxiety. So, she had to put herself on a schedule to drink before and after an exam so she could ensure that she was hydrated.

Anya would arrive early at each exam venue; she found that.

It would help her be comfortable in her surroundings and reduce the anxiety of being late.

During a highly taxing test, Anya remembered that all she had to do was just take a short break to close her eyes, take a few deep breaths, and refocus her mind.

 Anya kept her mind positive and reminded herself that it's normal to feel anxious during exams. Anya was shocked that Many students experienced the same feelings as she was.

 Anya learned from other students some of them had relaxation aids like stress balls or fidget toys helpful for managing anxiety during their exams. Anya was unsure if that would help, but she was willing to try, but finding the right one would be a trick.

                       **

The day of her first exam had finally arrived, and Anya felt nervous but prepared. She had studied hard, and she knew that she was ready.

Anya took a deep breath and walked into the exam room. She sat down at her desk and looked at the test before her. She smiled. She could do this.

Anya started to answer the questions. She took her time and made sure to think carefully about each answer. She felt confident and in control.

As she worked through the exam, Anya started to feel a sense of relief. She was doing it. She was actually doing well.

Anya finished the exam and left the room feeling confident and hopeful. She knew that she had done her best.

She had survived her first semester of tests. Yes, it was hard, but she did it. Anya thought to herself with a smile, "I can get through the next 3 years." 

November 03, 2023 20:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Belladona Vulpa
08:54 Nov 13, 2023

Nice and simple story, it felt like reading an educational material with the purpose to raise awareness for these issues and with some good tips! Sometimes I felt a bit confused when the verb tense were changing from past to present and then again past, also about how much time had passed and the flow of the story a bit felt like interrupting, then going to the future, then stopping again (at least that's how I felt it when reading). These are some small things here and there that if changed a bit, I think they can improve the overall flow ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ralph Radama
13:15 Nov 16, 2023

A very relatable and uplifting story. You did well in transporting us readers into Anya's head, it felt easy sympathizing with Anya as I read through her account of her experience. The way you described how she's dealing with the anxiety felt a bit instructional and less emotional for me, which was a contrast with the intro, but I liked how you tied it up with a more personal account at the end as we headed to the conclusion. Thanks for sharing! I found some good mental health tips here as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Helen A Smith
16:06 Nov 12, 2023

Hi Gail, There’s all sorts of positives here. You made it clear that it’s natural to feel anxious in exam situations, and indeed at other times. Aside from that, we live in very stressful times. The MC was not alone and was able to get the help she needed to refocus. An encouraging story, full of good tips. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tom Skye
22:55 Nov 11, 2023

Great educational story with a good heart. Anxiety is crippling and the skills to combat it should be more widespread. Really nice work. Thanks for sharing

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.