Sometimes it's Good to be Rosemary

Written in response to: End your story with a kiss at midnight.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Contemporary

Rosemary woke up on December 31st with the feeling that her day was going to be awful. She had been up into the late hours of the night first watching an incredibly disappointing movie, and then scrolling through fanart of said movie, hoping it would give her some closure. Spoiler alert: It didn’t, and Rosemary now brushed her teeth and styled her on-the-cusp-of-being-too-greasy hair, before pulling on her boots and heading for the front door.

“Oh, hell.” She groaned as she remembered the tampon she had forgotten to change, shuffling back into the bathroom, groaning as she washed her hands and hiked her pants back up. Halfway down the steps she looked at her right hand and realized that she had forgotten her travel mug on the counter. “Nope.” She shook her head, continuing down the stairs. “I’ll drink it later.” Rosemary made it to her car, luckily it hadn’t snowed the night before and backing out of her spot and onto the street was easy.

There was no new year's eve traffic as she drove toward the craft store she worked at, and the store was virtually empty when she arrived. Luckily, most people entered a crafting coma after Christmas, and the month of January was the employee’s time to get ready for Valentine's day.

“Hey, Rose!” One of the part-time cashiers, a high school student, waved at her as she walked inside. “Any big plans for tonight?”

“No, I’m staying in.” Rosemary said, eying the boy’s name tag, Henry, it said. She smiled at him and took off her coat, heading for the office that she shared with the floor manager, Cecily. Rosemary was the inventory and receiving manager. She made sure everything that entered the building was a) supposed to be there and b) made it to where it needed to go. She looked over at the almost always empty desk that belonged to Cecily, who preferred to be out with her employees rather than in the office, and hung up her coat.

“Alright, what fires am I going to be putting out today.” She booted up her computer, which took enough time for her to run down the hall to the kitchen, make herself coffee, and meander back to the office. She groaned and fell into her chair, tapping her nails on her desk as the computer continued to load. “Come on.” She hit the box and gasped as it began to smoke. “Jesus christ.” She put down her mug and unplugged it, hoping that would end the smoke and electrical smell coming from the box. “Don?” She called out for the store manager, whose office was across from hers. “Don, are you there?”

“Hold on!” His voice sounded far away, but within a few seconds he was standing in her doorway. “What’s go-oh shit!” He laughed. “Your computer is smoking.”

“Yeah, I know.” She gestured. “What do I do?”

“Did you unplug it?” He walked into the room.

“Well, duh.” She crossed her arms over her chest. “I mean today. I can’t get anything done.”

“Use Cecily’s.” He suggested. “I’m sure she won’t mind.”

“Cecily doesn’t have any of my passwords saved.” She complained. “How soon do you think we can get this looked at?”

“If you submit the ticket right now, probably Monday or Tuesday.”

“Not today?” Rosemary looked up at him. “Or even tomorrow?”

“Well, tomorrow is technically a holiday.” He told her. “Just relax, why don’t you do some floor work, make sure everything ended up where you wanted it.”

“That’s what Kelsie is for.” Rosemary said.

“Exactly, Kelsie is gone for another two days. You’re the King of your Castle, and you spend all your time cooped up in here.”

“I’m not good with the customers.” Rosemary said. “You know that.”

“Don’t worry about it, if anyone asks you anything just find Cecily.” He headed for the door. “I’m leaving early, Leanne and Connory are bringing the baby over tonight, and Rachel has given me a list of foods I have to buy for him to eat.”

“Good luck.” Rosemary said, saluting him as she picked up her mug.

Rosemary hated floor work. She truly despised being out in the open, under those bright lights. No, put her in a warehouse, where her only companions are boxes and she shines. Put her in an office with 1500 objects to check off and enough coffee for a small army. Even put her in a truck, unloading at 3AM. Any of those was more appealing than being at the mercy of a Grandmother of six who has decided to knit sweaters and wants to know when you’ll be getting this color back in. Rosemary continued to sip her coffee and looked at her reflection in the darkened computer monitor. “Traitor.” She grumbled at it. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad. Maybe the post Christmas slump would keep the more ornery crafters out of her hair, or at least, that’s what she hoped. Rosemary walked from the office out into the main part of the store, looking around at the shelves and people stocking, others helping customers. She saw Henry, the new cashier, running to the yarn section to grab something, before heading back to the front. She didn’t really know where to start.

“Hey! What are you doing out here?” Cecily’s cheerful voice rang in her ears.

“Computer problems.” She explained.

“Oh, bummer.” Cecily’s frown lasted only a second before she was smiling again. “It’s nice to see you out of the office. Are you doing shelf inspections?”

“Something like that.” She mumbled, and looked at the stacks of washi tape that she had helped to pick out and coordinate weeks earlier, and was surprised to see, she hated the display. The colors were all out of order, and the motifs clashed together. She stepped closer, looking at the neatly printed labels, each one in alphabetical order and sorted by color.

“Cec?” She took one of the tapes in her hand. “Do you think this looks okay?”

“Yeah, it’s fine.” She shrugged. “I mean, I like what you did with yarn much better. But-”

“But it’s garbage.” Rosemary nodded. “This section needs to be categorized, not color schemed and alphabetized.” She turned back to Cecily. “Why didn’t anyone tell me this is what it looked like?”

“We thought you knew.” She shrugged again. “Figured you had come to look at it at some point.”

“Haven’t had time.” Rosemary partially lied. If she had really needed to make time she would have blocked off a few hours for changes in the display, but she was always so confident in her choices, she hadn’t even thought about it. Maybe being out here is a good thing, she considered, and walked to the back for a box.

By noon, Rosemary had taken all the different tapes off their hooks, and with Henry’s help, was now sorting them by category.

“Do we have mythical animals sorted from real ones?” He asked, holding up a particularly colorful tape with unicorns on it. “How many like this do we have?”

“I think animals is fine.” She picked up a dragon tape. “But we can put the fantasy ones together.”

“Cool.” Henry handed her 10 rolls of the unicorn tape and then the label to go with it. “So, why don’t you have any plans for tonight?” He asked her eventually. “There’s always stuff going on.”

“Not really a partier.” She shrugged. “I’m not in college anymore.” She wasn’t even in her twenties anymore, but she didn’t need to out herself to this teenager.

“I guess.” He shrugged.

“What are your plans?” She asked, hoping to steer the conversation away from her nonexistent social life.

“I’m hanging out with my girlfriend.” He smiled. “Ellie and I are going to a party with her parents' friends.”

“That’s so grown up.” Rosemary said, surprised. Henry, who had previously asked Cecily what the difference was between a bowtie and a regular one since Ellie said she wanted him to wear a bowtie for prom, was now attending a fancy grown up party.

“I know.” Henry smiled. “If these are all done, I should probably get back to cashiering.”

“Ah, yes.” Rosemary nodded as they placed the rest of the tape on the hooks. “Tell Cecily thanks for letting me borrow you.” She said and he walked off.

When the work was complete, Rosemary went back to her desk and finished her coffee, now cold from sitting for a few hours. She gave her computer the middle finger, but before she could head back to the floor, the lights all cut out, an alarm blaring somewhere in the back. Startled voices sounded from the main part of the building, and Rosemary groaned. Luckily she had a small window in her office, and she was able to grab her phone before heading back into the store. Light filtered through the front doors, but towards the back, where there was nothing but dense yarn and packed shelves, it was pitch black.

“Alright.” She called out, calmly but loudly. “If everyone could please make their way to the front of the store, our backup generator should allow you to check out, but the store is now closed. She walked to the front, where customers were finding their way, and heard Henry booting up the emergency point of sale.

“Just give me one second.” He said slowly, the dim light shining off his face as he logged in. “Okay, we’re all set.” He continued to check people out while Rosemary called Don, explaining the situation.

“Well, sounds like the universe really doesn’t want you to work today.” He laughed. “Go home, and I’ll see you on Monday.”

“Fine.” She gritted her teeth as she said the word and hung up, waiting until Henry had finished with the last customer and locking up.

She was unsurprised to find that she had no power at her apartment, and groaned as she looked at her phone. She had forgotten to charge it the night before, and the flashlight feature was very unforgiving. 27% it told her, and Rosemary considered driving around town while she waited for it to charge. No, that was insane, she could survive without it. She still had daylight, and a few unread books that had been gifts from family members who didn’t know her well enough to purchase anything else. Each one had been mailed with a card with some generic phrase, thought of you, or missing you! All accompanied by books about lonely women who go on a journey to find themselves. She looked at the shelf and picked what looked like the least offensive title, using her gas stove top to boil water and settled in at the kitchen window with her book and a cup of tea.

By the time her eyes hurt from the fading sunlight, Rosemary was starting to feel her night of bad sleep. She drank the last of the water she had, and made sure not to flush the toilet, climbing into bed and popping some melatonin and deciding that going to bed at 6PM on new years eve was nothing to be ashamed of. She drifted off, knowing that things would be better in the morning.

BEEP…BEEP…BEEP Rosemary groaned as she rolled over. All the lights in her room were on, and the smoke detectors were going nuts. She squinted as they turned off, getting out of bed to turn off the lights and go back to sleep. She checked her phone, which was hovering around 8% battery, and plugged it in, seeing that it was almost 11. Shit, she thought, no way I’m going back to sleep now. Before she could decide what to do, her phone started to vibrate on her bedside table. She was surprised to see that it was Cecily, calling her.

“Hello?” She picked up. “Cecily?” She heard talking and music, and general noise, and smiled to herself, Cecily had definitely buttdialed her. “Alright, I’m hanging up-”

“Rosemary!” Cecily seemed to notice the ongoing phone call. “Rosemary, come hang out!”

“Where are you?” Rosemary laughed. “Are you drunk?”

“Oh, yeah.” Cecily giggled. “Shh, don’t tell Don.”

“Deal.” Rosemary said, and asked again. “Where are you?”

“I’m at Sweeneys!” She dragged out the final word, prompting a cheer from those around her. “Come out with us!”

“Who is us?” Rosemary asked, unsure of herself. Cecily was younger than her, more personable. She was sure whoever us was wouldn’t want to hang out with her.

“Just people I know.” Cecily said. “Come out!”

“Maybe.” Rosemary said, and they hung up. She got up and ran her hands over her face, groaning. This was the kind of thing her parents were always telling her to do. Saying that she needed to get out and be young while she still had the chance. She walked into the bathroom, flushing her toilet and brushing her teeth. She ran her fingers through her hair and blinked a few times. “Fuck it.” She eventually said, and put on her tightest pants.

Within twenty minutes she was heading back out in her car, plugging the address for Sweeney’s into her phone and following the directions through the crowded streets. The place was packed, and she circled the block over and over looking for a parking spot.

“Typical.” She said to herself as the display on her car told her it was now 11:43. “I finally take a chance, and I’m going to spend new years alone in my car in parking purgatory.” But before she could get too upset, a spot opened up and she snagged it with ease. She pulled into the spot, getting out and locking her car, stuffing a credit card and license in her bra, and putting her phone and keys in her front pocket. She followed the noise back towards Sweeney’s, and made her way to the door.

“ID.” The man outside said, and Rosemary pulled out her license, showing it to him. He looked it over, and then looked up at her and nodded, handing it back and letting her inside. She looked at the sea of people, and tried to pinpoint Cecily’s curly red hair. She pulled out her phone and texted her, where are you? And waited, noting the time again, 11:52 now, and heading up to the bar and asking for two shots of absolut. Rosemary paid quickly and downed them, gagging as the liquid made its way down her throat. Her phone buzzed in her pocket. Upstairs, came Cecily’s reply. Rosemary weaved through the crowd, making her way to the staircase and pushing upwards, the smell of sweat and heat of bodies closing in on her as she walked further into the club. The giant countdown clock on the wall told her that it was now 11:58.

“Rosemary!” Cecily’s voice sounded in her ear. “You made it!”

“Barely.” Rosemary laughed, as Cecily brought her over to her friends.

“You have to meet everyone.” She pulled her back to where her friends were all talking together. By the time Cecily had told her that the woman wearing a purple skin tight pair of leggings and a flowing tank top was named Teresa, the final countdown was starting.

“It’s 11:59!” Cecily grabbed Rosemary's hand. “Fifty-seven, fifty-six.” Everyone began to count, Rosemary joining them, looking around the room at the different people who had all come together for this shared experience. The crowd called out ten, and then nine. Rosemary saw Cecily grab onto Teresa, pulling her into her arms. The crowd called out eight. All around her couples began to form, everyone getting ready to kiss when midnight finally came. The crowd called out seven, six, five. Rosemary looked to her left, and saw a man who was also alone. He caught her eye, she gave him a smile. Four, three, two.

“One!” Everyone cried, and Rosemary pulled the man to her, kissing him on the lips. She let him go a moment later, laughing as his shocked expression greeted her.

“Sorry.” She laughed. “I don’t know what came over me.”

“It’s fine.” He said. “I’m Freddy.”

“Rosemary.” She said, taking his now outstretched hand. “Nice to kiss you, and then meet you.”

“You too.” He turned as a shorter man came up behind him, wrapping an arm around his waist.

“Sorry I missed the countdown.” He said, and kissed Freddy’s cheek, before turning to Rosemary. “Hi.” Rosemary felt her cheeks heat, and Freddy burst out laughing.

“Rosemary, this is my husband, Lyle.” He turned to his husband. “Ly, this is Rosemary, she kissed me at midnight.”

“Well, I’m glad you kissed someone.” Lyle laughed and he and Freddy disappeared into the crowd, Rosemary turning back to Cecily and Teresa, who were still kissing. She rolled her eyes and thought about leaving, having embarrassed herself enough for one night. But before she could, Freddy was back.

“So, I feel like we know each other now.” He said, looking at something out of the corner of his eye at something. “And while you and I will never progress past our wonderful first kiss,”

“Naturally.” Rosemary laughed.”

“I just told the story to my brother, and he thinks you’re brave and hot and wanted me to get your number.” He glanced to the left again and Rosemary’s gaze shot over, seeing an almost carbon copy of Freddy standing with Lyle, waving nervously. She smiled at him, waving back and looking at Freddy.

“Tell me truthfully.” She said to Freddy. “How old is he, is he divorced, does he want kids, and what’s his name?”

“He’s 33, no, no, and Teddy.”

“Teddy and Freddy?” Rosemary laughed.

“We’re twins.” He said, and Rosemary smiled, nodding her head.

“Well, if he wants to talk…” She smiled at him. “I’m game.”

January 06, 2023 19:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.