The devil is in the details

Submitted into Contest #215 in response to: Write a story about someone making a deal with the devil.... view prompt

2 comments

African American Mystery Fiction

                                  The Devil is in the details

                                                               By

                                                       Omar Scott


Rodney sat on a park bench looking at the sunset as if he was watching it for the last time. Dejected, he reflected on his life and wondered where he went wrong. Every bad decision, every opportunity missed ran through his mind over and over again, like a scratched record. The crushing weight of providing for a family just got heavier than ever with the loss of the one job he was able to get. He didn’t even have the thousand dollars needed to pay this month’s rent. How am I going to explain this to wife, he thought to himself.

Rodney stared into that horizon hoping that God would answer his prayers. That he would rescue him, and with a wave of his mighty hand, all his problems would disappear like magic. But sadly, like so many other times, those prayers went unanswered. Contemplating the conversation he was going to have with his wife, he took a deep breath and buried his face in his hands. Although he was surrounded by kids playing, dogs barking, and car whizzing by, he felt so alone with just his dark thoughts to keep him company.

           “Hi there,” a smooth, warm voice said starling him.

Rodney slowly raised his head. Sulking, he didn’t notice the man that had taken a seat next to him on the bench.

“Tough day?”

Rodney’s hazel eyes begin to focus on the gentleman. He noticed the clean black suit, crisp white shirt, and black tie that made up the attire of the well-groomed man with the sympathetic expression. “Whatever your selling, I’m not interested,” Rodney said rather dismissively.

“Oh, I’m not a salesman. I offer opportunities.”

Rodney looked down at his shoes, which were polished and shining like mirrors as he said, “I have a church home.”

The man scooted closer and bent over so that he was face to face with Rodney, “And how is that working out for you?”

Rodney raised an eyebrow as he locked eyes with the man for the first time. The stranger’s eyes were so dark; it was like looking at midnight. His olive skin stretched over his slender face with prominent features. A sharp contrast to Rodney’s stocky build. Rodney sat up on the bench as the man’s demeanor finally grabbed his attention. Although the thought had run through his mind, he never thought about actually speaking the words until now, “Belonging to the church has never done anything for me.”

“I know. It’s funny how the church is always broke. They always need your money, your ten percent, but when the shoe is on the other foot, they tell you to pray for what you need,” the strange man said with a smile.

“Yeah, you right,” Rodney nodded in agreement.

“But what if I could offer you real help? Put cash in your pocket, right here, right now.”

Rodney looked him up and down, “What kind game are you running, man?”

“No game,” the stranger said reaching into his breast pocket and pulling out a money clip filled with hundred dollar bills. 

Rodney’s eyes widened. “What’s the catch?”

The stranger reached into his pocket again and pulled out a notecard and handed it to him, “All you have to do is say this?”

Rodney took the card and scanned it over. He chuckled, “You serious?”

“Dead serious,” he replied with a stoic face. He counted out twenty-one hundred dollar bills and held them in front of Rodney’s face, “Here is two thousand dollars. Get on your knees and read what’s on the card and the money is yours,” he said as he stood up and clutched his lapel.

Rodney scratched his head as he mulled over his offer. The money could pay his rent and buy him some time. He glanced at the sun again and back down at the card. Fuck it, what do I have to lose, he thought to himself. Closing his eyes, he took in a breath and held it. As he released it, he fell to a knee and began reading off the card, “You are the light bringer. The most beautiful of all. The redeemer of man. The true king of kings. And the world will bow at your feet.”

The stranger closed his eyes and his body trembled like he had an orgasm. With a sinister grin, he took Rodney’s hand and placed the money in it, “Here you go as promised. And there’s more where that came from. When you’re ready.”

Rodney took the cash and thumbed through it. “More?”

“I can end your misery. Help you start that restaurant you always wanted. Save your marriage?”

Rodney’s jaw dropped, as he stumbled to get the words out, “How did you know that?”

“I know everything about you Rodney Williams. Born August 10th 1980 in Phoenix, Arizona. Went to culinary school but flunked out in your second year. Married in 2009. And you owe five thousand in back taxes, six thousand in student loans, three thousand in back child support, and you lost your job as a line cook this morning.”

“How did you know that? Who are you?”

“Those aren’t the questions you should be asking. Your focus is all wrong. You should be asking yourself what do I have to do to get more money?” he said as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a business card and handed it to him, “Just like I put that money in your hands, I could do so much more. More than you could ever imagine. I can help you build an empire. Money and power will be at your fingertips. It’s the opportunity of a life time,” he said straightening his suit and smoothing down his black wavy hair, “Think about it. And when you’re ready, call me.”

Rodney took the card and studied it closely. On the front was an L in the middle of a five pointed star. He flipped it to the back to find only a phone number. Then his focus went back to the cash in his hand. He folded the money and the card together. Stuffed them in his pocket. And when he looked up again, the strange man was gone.

           With his head on a swivel to make sure nobody saw him stash the money, Rodney scurried away with a huge grin on his face. He breathed of sigh of relief only when he reached his apartment and locked the door. His interaction with this guy, and the fact that he lost his job was going to be his little secret. He paid the rent on his tiny rundown apartment. And then he treated his wife to a nice dinner at Olive Garden. Oblivious to his intentions, she made love to him for the first time in months. Life was wonderful. 

           Over the next three weeks Rodney pounded the pavement looking for a new job. He put in applications everywhere they served food. But he couldn’t find anything. Not even McDonalds was hiring to flip burgers. The extra money was quickly drying up, and the first of the month was rapidly approaching. Rodney found himself at the same park bench, looking at the same evening sun, wondering what was he going to do. He’d borrowed money from so many family members, he couldn’t show his face again at another family function. He tried getting unemployment, but was denied. He tried getting a payday loan, but they said his car was too old. I can’t catch a break, he thought to himself. Then it hit him. He reached in his wallet and pulled out that business card that the strange man had given him. Twirling it around in his hands, Rodney contemplated calling for a few ticks. With each second that passed, the hopelessness of his situation became more evident. Feeling he had no choice, he made the call.

           “Hello Mr. Williams. I’ve been waiting to hear from you,” the strange man said.

           “I think I want to take you up on your offer,” Rodney replied pacing back and forth, rubbing the back of his head.

           “Excellent. Don’t move. I’ll be there momentarily to discuss terms,” he said before abruptly hanging up.

           Rodney was confused. How did he know I would call, and how did he know where I was at, he thought to himself. Before he could come up with answers in his mind, there he was walking through the park in another black suit carrying a briefcase. He had the look of a confident stockbroker or banker looking to close a big deal. He stood in front of Rodney with his chest out and chin high.

           “You have made a wise decision Mr. Williams,” he said setting down his briefcase on the bench. He unlocked the combination and popped the case open. It was neatly filled with stacks of hundred dollar bills, “This is just a small sample of what you can expect.”

           “Wow.” Rodney’s eyes almost popped out of his head as he ran his fingers over the cash. He picked up a stack and smelled it before rubbing it on his cheek. He was grinning from ear to ear. “This is all mine?”

           “All yours my friend. A half million dollars.”

           “And all I have do is read the card like before?” Rodney eagerly asked.

           The stranger stepped closer and put his hand on Rodney’s shoulder. He looked deep into Rodney’s eyes and said, “I’m going to need a whole lot more than that. I want your soul.”

           Rodney laughed, “Yeah right.”

           The stranger took the cash right out of Rodney’s hands and closed the briefcase. “No soul, no cash.”

           With a puzzled look on his face, Rodney asked, “You’re serious?”

           “Always,” the stranger responded bluntly.

           “And just how do you suppose I give you my soul?”

           The stranger reached into his pocket and pulled out a contract, “I just need a signature.”

           Rodney looked at the contract while fighting off a smile, “This contract is blank.”

           “Don’t worry about it. I’ll fill it in later. Just sign on the line and the money, and all the riches in the world is yours,” he said handing Rodney a pen with a sinister grin.

           “All I have to do is sign? That’s it?”

           “That’s it,” he said with a shrug. “What do you have to lose?”        

           The wheels in Rodney’s mind began to turn. At first he thought this dude was running some kind of game. Then he thought, maybe he is just an eccentric rich man doing things for kicks. But now, he was certain this guy was certifiably crazy. He could milk this dude for all he got. God was finally answering his prayers. Fortune had shine its light on him. This was the opportunity he’d been waiting his whole life for. He quickly signed the contract and swiped the briefcase full of cash.

                                                           *

Rodney woke up in his king size bed. He peeled back the Egyptian cotton sheets and slid his feet into a pair of plush slippers. As he stretched, he looked around his massive master suite. Nobody but him once again. It was so quiet that he could hear the air condition unit click on and start running. Slumped shoulder, he stepped on to the marble floor of his bathroom to brush his teeth and wash his face. Then he slipped on a custom made suit and some Italian leather shoes. Next, he opened the French doors to his room and made his was down the spiral staircase and into his gourmet kitchen.

           “Good Moring sir. Do you care for some breakfast?” his wrinkled old butler asked in a thick English accent.

           “No thanks. I’ll take a cup of coffee to go. Have the driver to bring the car around,” Rodney replied.

           “Yes sir. Here’s your paper,” he said handing Rodney a freshly folded newspaper.

           Rodney opened it up and looked at the date. Then it occurred to him. Today was the ten-year anniversary of the day he took that briefcase of cash from that stranger. He shook his head. His eyes glanced over the headlines until he saw the one with his name on it. “Rodney William and his firm under investigation for insider trading,” Rodney said with disgust as he slammed the paper on the counter, “Damn it!”

           He grabbed his coffee and slipped into the backseat of his Range Rover. He pulled out his phone and check his messages. All of them where business related. No calls or text from family or friends as usual. Shaking his head, he glared out the window like a lost puppy dog as he made his way to the office. The light turned green as they stopped in front of the old park he used to hang out at.

           “Stop here, Ted,” he commanded the driver.

           He hopped out the car and strolled over to the park bench. He took a seat and looked at the sun like he used to. Then he heard a familiar voice from behind.

           “Good morning Mr. Williams. Didn’t think I would ever see you here again.”

           Rodney spun around and almost fell on his ass. He lost all the color in his face as he blurted out, “You.”

           The stranger smiled and nodded his head. He was impeccably dressed as normal, holding a briefcase, “I see you have done well. Everything you wanted. Just as we agreed.”

           Rodney steadied himself and stood up straight, “You lied to me. You ruined my life.”

           Stone face, the stranger replied, “I didn’t do anything to your life. I simply gave you what you asked for. Money and power.”

           “And the more money I got, the more it pushed everyone away. My wife left me. My kid won’t talk to me. I have no friends. My family won’t have anything to do with me. I’m surrounded by backstabbers. I’m under investigation. All I have is problems. And it’s all your fault,” Rodney shouted in anger.

           “You should have thought of the consequences before you signed the contract,” the stranger said coldly.

           “But I never saw that finished contract. So how am I supposed to know the consequences?” Rodney said in frustration with his palms up.

           The strange man opened his briefcase, pulled out the contract, and handed to Rodney. Rodney snatched it from him and opened it. His eyes focused on every word as his jaw hit the floor. He read the last part out loud, “As a condition you agree to trade all relationships for cash received,” Rodney threw the contract to the ground. “You tricked me. What did you do, bribe my family and friends not to talk to me? The deal is off. I want my old life. I’ll give you back your money.”

           “All deals are final,” the stranger said as his eyes turned fire red. His ominous presence and evil expression casted a dark shadow over the whole park, like storm clouds rolling in during a tornado.

The eerie vibe made the hairs on Rodney’s neck stand up. His spine was cold as ice, and his hands began to shake violently. He took a step back as he stuttered the words, “Who are you? Really?”

“I have so many names, in so many languages. I lose track,” he said with a slight chuckle.

           The realization of who he made the deal with hit like cold water when your dead asleep. “The devil.”

           “I hate that name. Call me Lucifer,” he said as his lips curled into a devilish grin.


                                               The End




September 15, 2023 02:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Eric Smith
01:00 Sep 21, 2023

Great story Omar. I really liked the descriptions in your tale. The irony was very cleaver. Good job and keep writing.

Reply

Omar Scott
01:08 Oct 19, 2023

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.