0 comments

Kids Friendship Teens & Young Adult

Theresa and Jackie sat by the lake that afternoon talking about their summer plans. They both enjoyed volunteering but did not do it at the same places, so they had something to talk about when they did get together during the weekends. The last week of school Jackie saw a bulletin in class that the library was looking for readers for the summer reading program. She made a mental note to bring it up to Theresa later that day.

"Hey, did you see on the board that the library is looking for volunteers?” Jackie said as they walked home that day.

“Cool, Why don’t we check it out?” Theresa said as they got to the corner.

“I think that’s a great idea.” Jackie said as they turned and walked away from home and toward the library.

“It wouldn’t hurt to ask. And if we are both accepted, we can alternate hours or days or something.” Theresa agreed. When they arrived at the library they stepped up to the counter and asked to speak to the person in charge of looking for volunteers for the reading program.

Moments later a woman walked up beside them “Hello, I understand you are interested in the summer reading program.”

“Yes, we are.” Jackie answered.

“Okay, we have two opportunities this year.” The librarian began.”The first is just reading to kids during story hour and the other choosing the books that will be read to them.” She continued.

“Plus, we have the one where you read and record as many books that you read for the summer for chances to get prizes.”

They just looked at each other. “All three sound good. We already do it for the elderly on the weekends,” Theresa smiled at the woman.

“Yea and now that schools out, we have more time to spread the spark for reading,” Jackie said.

“I do love your enthusiasm. “The librarian said, then added. “Alright, lets step up to the counter and I’ll grab some volunteer applications plus summer reading fliers for you. Sheri would you please grab two volunteer packets plus two summer reading program fliers. There aren’t any more out here.”

“Yes ma’am. The woman said sliding off the stool and going into the back. When she came back out, she had two packets of papers for each of the girls to fill out and get their parents' permission and the summer reading program for themselves.

As the girls left and headed home, they had a new energy and a plan for the summer they didn’t have earlier. Besides they spent hours there at the library any way checking out and reading books, so why not read to others while they were there. What better summer vacation was there?

That night when the girl's parents asked how their day went and what they were going to do for the summer, they both couldn’t get the words out fast enough. Nor could their parents sign the approval slip fast enough. They all knew just how important reading was and how much reading changed lives, in so many ways.

In fact, one of the questions on the application they had to answer pertained that very statement. How had reading changed their lives?

As the girls thought about it, they were in the same grade in school. It was also the event that helped them decide they wanted to be English teachers and teach others to read when they grew up.

When they had finished with the application, they were eager to show each other and their parents and get feedback. Now excitedly Jackie and Theresa stood in front of each other with their papers in hand.

“Ready?”

“Yea, one, two three.” and with that they handed the other their answers and began reading.

The question: What event or book changed your life and thoughts about reading?

Answer: When I was in seventh grade, I was a teacher's aide for the reading class. Usually, I would grade papers or hand out the class's daily assignments. But one day a girl I was helping struggled to pronounce a word. Then I remembered an episode of a PBS show I had watched and how they taught sounding out words, and I tried it. When I did the young girl finally was able to sound it out and pronounce the word. The sheer look on her face and in her eyes showed me the joy one had when they finally were able to understand and pronounce a word, they had trouble with before. And the more she and I worked that day sounding out more words and reading sentence after sentence, she began to recognize the words she had struggled with before and how we had worked to sound them out before. Slowly she found herself reading with ease. It was at that moment wanted to feel that same feeling day after day for the rest of my life.

~~~

While Theresa was reading Jackie’s page of answers, Jackie began reading Theresa’s.

I was probably in 8th grade when the 6th grade English teacher approached me. She asked if I would be interested in reading to kids during Christmas break. They were getting together a few students and taking them to the mall and read to them while parents shopped.

She also told me that Jackie was one of the readers. Without even thinking about it I told her I’d love to do it, but of course I’d have to ask my parents. So that night I asked my parents and with their permission I would now be among others who shared a passion for reading with young minds. Planting seeds in their imagination producing the desire to read for years to come. When I let the teacher know my parents said yes, she told me to dress as our favorite characters. I went as a cat. We had great fun and many laughs as book after book was read those five hours that Saturday morning. It was one of the best parts about that year sharing my love of reading to others.’

When they were both finished and handed the applications back,

Theresa asked a question of her own “what was your favorite book?

One the count of three. One Two Three.”

“James and the Giant Peach.” They both said laughing.

“What’s funny I really don’t remember the story, what I remember is the teacher's enthusiasm when she read it.” Jackie said shaking her head.

With their applications finished they couldn’t wait until the following day to return them and the interview after that.

Days later they were interviewed and approved as readers and their schedules were set.

During their first week of volunteering while the. girls were at the library finding the books that were going to be read that day, a woman man and child entered. As Jackie was looking through the books for her selections that day, she overheard the woman and gentleman speak.

“Dad, you stay here with Amy while I go downstairs for a bit and get my books. I’ll be right back.”

“Okay, I’ll be here.” He answered as they both looked toward the little girl was already playing with the small toys that were on a table close by.

“Amy, I’ll be back after story time, stay with grandpa, okay?”

“Okay mommy.” the little girl said briefly looking up and at the woman and back to the toys.

Before long, everyone was gathering on either the carpet or chairs while Jackie and Theresa began opening books and selected which book would be the first.

The parents who remained, listened as Jackie and Theresa switched as they read story after story and the energy the girls put into reading them. If it was a book they knew, the girls barely looked at the pages making the story come alive. It was during one of these stories Amy’s mom returned and stood by the door while the stories were read. And that’s when the expression on Amy’s grandpa’s face changed and she saw it.

One of the girls, was reading a book which had been a favorite in their family for generations. It was the “cat in the hat” Book. He had read that book to Amy every night before his stroke. It was Theresa who now read it and she read it with such passion and enthusiasm. Amy’s mom also found herself smiling as she heard the words and imagined it was her dad reading it.

As Amy’s mom listened, she began to see her dad come back to the life she remembered before his stroke. He looked so happy as he silently mumbled the words along with the reader. She had to know who these two young ladies were and to thank them for even a moment of clarity they had given her dad. With the story hour now complete, and the children going in various directions, the girls began putting away books and toys that had been scattered when the woman approached.

“Hi, my name is Sabrina Stevens and I want to thank you.” she smiled as Amy played close by.

“For what?” Jackie asked smiling.

“Your time to read to these children.” Mrs. Stevens said.

‘It’s our pleasure. “Theresa said now joining in the conversation.

“Can we talk,” the woman asked. She wanted to explain to the girls what they had done that day for her and her family.

“My dad had a stroke a year ago, and for a year he showed no signs he was getting better. He was just surviving day by day. And with my mom gone he had nothing really to help him come back. she was the one who kept the fire lit under him if you catch my meaning” She was saying. as the girls nodding yes. “My mom and dad are like that. Jackie briefly said.

“But today during story time,” the woman continued " I saw my dad smile again for the first time in almost a year.” she said as tears now began to fall. “I saw him even read along with you as he mumbled the words from memory. Dr. Suess is our favorite set of books and he used to read them to my daughter before she went to bed.” She paused as she wiped a tear. Well, I just wanted to say thank you. You touched something deep inside my dad and he heard you.” Mrs. Stevens said.

Both girls were speechless. But having lost grandparent themselves they understood what the woman was saying.

“Whether you know it or not you have a gift because you brought my dad, and Amy’s grandpa back to us. Thank you.” She said again as another tear rolled down her cheek. A moment later she took a deep breath to gather herself she said good-bye to Theresa and Jackie. She then turned and found Amy so they could go and find a few books Amy would enjoy reading during the week. When she had found the ones she wanted, they checked out and left the library. Now with their shift over, Theresa and Jackie sat in one of the two booths which divided the children’s library by grade level. They needed time to settle after hearing what their reading had done for one of the families

“Are you alright?” The librarian asked stepping up next to the girls.

“Yea we’re okay, we just .. how can reading do that?” Jackie asked trying to really understand what had happened and what the woman said to them.

“I heard what she said to you and she’s right you do have a gift.” she began.

“But how can one story awaken a man who hasn’t shown improvement for a year after a stroke?” Jackie asked. “Sometimes miracles happen that we just don’t have clear answers as to. Or why they happen the way they do. We just know they do.”

After a deep breath she continued, ”And sometimes we are brought to the right place at the right time. And for him this was the right time.” The librarian finished looking at both girls. “But there is one thing I can say and that is I’m glad you both are here.”

Shortly after that the girls got up and headed home as they mentally thanked whoever was responsible for bringing them to this moment in time where they could be used to bring a miracle to that family that day during the summer reading program.

The end

*The books mentioned are my favorite so I have included who wrote them

The Cat in the Hat by Dr Suess 1957

James and the Giant Peach by British author Roald Dahl 1961

December 07, 2022 21:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.