0 comments

Contemporary Teens & Young Adult Friendship

Life in Orchard Bloom is peaceful and enchanting. It is a contrasting ambiance compared to the uproar of the city. The people are friendly, and everyone knows the other's business but boundaries and privacies are respected. It is the perfect environment to grieve. 

I sit at the top of the hill overlooking my Aunt's vegetable garden, wondering how things would have turned out If Mama didn't lose her life while birthing my baby brother. I felt rapturous when I learned Mama would give me a younger brother. I'm an only child and have wished for a sibling for thirteen years. Nothing described my joy when Mama told me my wish was coming true. Unfortunately, after months of waiting, I lost Mama and my brother to the cold hands of death. I try to cry, but the tears won't flow. I feel a gaping hole at the center of my heart, accompanied by excruciating pain that grows in Intensity daily.

Papa remains inconsolable, although several months have passed since the life-altering event of Mama's death. Papa withdraws into himself and does not have the presence of mind to care for himself, much less a fourteen-year-old girl. I don't need anyone to care for me, but having someone to grieve with would be nice. I understand we should all be allowed to mourn as we choose, but Papa's withdrawal makes me feel like I lost not only Mama but Papa too. All Papa does is stare into space like he can see Mama through the peeling walls of our little house. A part of me does not blame him for staring as he does because, tiny as our house is, It is where love dwells. No better place to illustrate a love haven than our little house at the center of Orchard Bloom metro. Shatteringly, death's hands reach inside its warm depth and turn it frigid.

 Try as Aunt may in convincing Papa to change scenery and come with her to the suburbs, that a change of location will snap him out of his grief; Papa refuses to leave our house but pleads with Aunt to take me with her. I have no choice but to move to the suburbs with my Aunt, who lives a few kilometers from the Orchard Bloom Metropolis.

Now, I have found a way to mourn the loss of my family all alone by myself. Once I complete my chores, I come up here to the small hill of Orchard Bloom, where I can see houses from miles away, sit under the summer moon, and gaze at the stars as though I can see Mama's smiling face behind the curtains of the star-dusted sky. I spend the better part of my evening reminiscing about days when the Sun shines bright and the fields vibrant with beautiful colors of hope. 

 I finish my chores as usual and hurry up the path to the hillside. It is always astounding to watch the Sun folds its lovely fangs as it disappears behind the clouds for the emergence of the moon-beamed horizon. I'm surprised when I reach the hilltop gasping for breath, anticipating the survey of nature's magnificence, only to find that a young boy has invaded my sanctum.

 The boy speaks without taking his eyes off the gentle descent of the Orange glow of dusk. "Come, sit with me. Experiencing nature's beauty is enchanting when shared."

Despondent that my space ceases to be mine alone. A revolt begins to rear in me at his audacity, acting like he has every right to be here now. This particular hour in time on the hill is mine. I whisper under my breath. 

I'm shuffling from foot to foot, thinking of the best way to tell him off without sounding rude.

 Perhaps sensing I'm about to say something, "Shh-sh, don't disrupt the magic." He places his index finger to his lips, sight still unmoving from the magnificence displayed before us.

He pats the spot beside him gently, and I take steps forward; lowering myself beside him, I sit with my hands wrapped around my folded knees. 

We stare at nature together in silence. And I must confess that my moon watcher companion is right; exploit shared is more enchanting. Staring at the summer sky together in companionable silence becomes our daily routine for days before we finally get to know who the other is. 

 "What brings you up here everyday without fail?"Nathan asks me one evening as we sit gazing at the stars.

"To escape grief." 

He turns slightly toward me, and I see his face for the first time. He is older than I initially thought. He looks to be in his sophomore junior.

"I'm sorry," he whispers genuinely.

"It's okay. I'm getting used to it, and besides, I get to watch this beautiful scenery as consolation." I attempt a joke to cover my pain

The corners of his mouth turn up in a slight smile. He reverts his attention but speaks quietly. "You know I have watched you climb this hill for a while before I decided to join you the day I did."

"Really? Why didn't you say something?"

"I wanted to discover your reason for coming up here. But then I saw your expression and knew the beauty of nature was not the only thing that gravitated you to the hilltop. There must be something deeper--- something profound no one can understand except maybe mother nature itself."

I tear up at his words, even though I don't mean to. As I cry, he slides a folded handkerchief into my hands. The dam I have put a tight lid on since Mama passed away breaks free. And I bawl my eyes out.

Nathan sitting quietly with one arm around my shoulders and his other hand holding my hand is all the comfort I need.

I wish I didn't pray for a sibling, and Mama wouldn't have sacrificed her life to grant a wish that didn't even come true. I also wish Father understands that I need him instead of sending me away with the first person that shows us concern. But I'm grateful for coming to orchard bloom and meeting Nathan, who unsolicitedly became my grieving partner.

In all these things, I'm aware that; the universe listens to our innermost desires even when unuttered. And no matter what happens to humanity, mother nature remains and knows how to tilt life back to its axis when life sometimes seems unhinged.

May 26, 2023 16:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.