The Ocean That Never Waved Goodbye

Submitted into Contest #44 in response to: Write a story that starts with two characters saying goodbye.... view prompt

1 comment

General

With a WHOOSH and a CRASH, the glistening water formed a gleaming arch and then collapsed on the damp sand, just in time for the ocean to summon it back with a strong pull. The ocean left the shore longing for its presence, especially a small crab that had been residing nearby. The crab picked himself up onto all six legs and clenched his claws in rage. The sea had waved hi upon arrival, but did not bid goodbye upon its dissent. The crab thought this to be very rude. 

“Heeeyyyy! Hey theeerrrre!” The crab called, waving his claws towards the sea. The sea waved back in another big, gleaming arch and roared at the crab, approaching the shore at a rapid pace. The crab smiled, thinking the ocean had returned per his request. . 

“I just wanted to ask--” But the crab’s inquiry was cut off by a WHOOSH and a CRASH. The crab found himself bathing in a warm, salty shower. A shower he had not asked for. Once again, the water retreated, leaving the crab soaked and more outraged than before. 

The crab scuttled over to a nearby beach blanket where a girl was laying stomach up, the sun soaking into her browning skin. The crab crept towards her freckled face and lifted her sunglasses to reveal her closed eyes. This was the green signal the crab was looking for. He quickly scurried over to the sleeping girl’s surfboard, and with much struggle, dragged the board with a tired claw towards the water. He climbed aboard just in time for the ocean to wave hi once again, but this time when it returned to sea, it took the board and the crab with it. 

“Finally,” the crab sighed. He addressed the water. “Now we can have a civil conversation and--”

But the water refused to listen. Just as quickly as the crab had begun, he was silenced by the familiar WHOOSH and CRASH. The crab found himself inhaling more salt water than air as he battled the surf until he finally breached the water’s surface… just to be met by another blast of water. 

Moments later, the crab found himself washed up on the shore, balancing on his back like a turtle on its shell. He flailed his little legs rocking back and forth trying and failing to get a good grasp in the sand. The ocean came again, this time it arrived to the crab’s aid. The crab accepted the wave’s assistance and was flipped right side up once again. 

The crab reassessed his grievances against the sea and compared the list to this new-found act of kindness. The crab had yet to decide if he had forgiven the sea when the sea reasserted itself on to the sand. The crab took this as a sign and joined the wave in it's journey home. 

The crab had spent almost the entirety of his young life in tide pools on the shore. This contributed to the enormity of amazement the crab was met with as he took in the wonderland that was the underwater world. He swam through rings of bubbles, and bounced off of the backs of jellyfish. He listened to how the percussion of the oysters blending with the baritone vocals of a whale many miles away. He watched a school of small fish swim in synchronized spirals, the sun reflecting off their silver backs. The fish headed towards a patch of rushing water and the crab followed. Together, they were swept away along the current, the sealife a collage of blurry photos whipping by. 

The current came to an end and the crab was released into a vast emptiness known only to those who lived there as the Open Ocean. The crab looked back towards the way he had come and saw only a dim glow of the neon colors that made up the coral reef. The sense of warmth and initial curiosity had worn off and the crab was met with a feeling of fear from this unfamiliar environment. The Open Ocean was no place for a land-dwelling crab like himself. 

He heard the moan of a whale again, only this time, much, much closer. He turned slowly, shuttering with dread, and was met with a ginormous grin of sharpened teeth. The crab paddled away from the mouth frantically, but the crab was no match for the powerful vacuum that was the whale. The crab watched as krill were inhaled between the whale’s straw-like teeth and knew this to be his fate. The only thing that could save him now, was the ocean itself. 

Just then, as if it had heard his silent prayer, a mass of energy rushed through the water, sweeping the crab along with it. I have swam into another current, thought the crab, filled with gratitude. He rode it three-fourths of the way back to shore until the current ended with a sudden HUMPF and he was once again thrown out into what appeared to be open water. 

The crab took in his surroundings. A large, tan creature lurked nearby, it's four, long limbs pushing against the water to stay afloat. This creature--who the crab had decided was a male human--had a thin layer of dark, curly hair on his legs which the crab grabbed on to with one of his claws in hopes of climbing up to the water’s surface. Upon the crab’s pinch, the man howled in pain. 

“Craaaaaab!” he cried, shaking his leg violently. The force provided the crab with enough momentum to catapult to the surface, the sun reflecting off of the crab's slick shell.  The sea allowed the crab only one breath before knocking him under again and WHOOSHING  him back home to the shore. 

Upon arriving on the sand, the crab looked out towards the sea with a newfound understanding and respect. The crab watched as the water formed a gleaming arch in the sunset, reaching towards the sand and greeting it with a wet, sloppy kiss. It was only then that the crab realized why the ocean never bothered to say goodbye. Every time the water would retreat, another wave would always form to say hi once again.

June 03, 2020 21:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Agnes Ajadi
10:22 Jun 11, 2020

Wow... Beautiful and so amazing! Keep writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.