Best Superhero Friends

Submitted into Contest #104 in response to: Write about an introvert and an extrovert who are best friends.... view prompt

1 comment

Friendship Kids Christian

Best Superhero Friends

         Amethyst walked out the door, the fresh breeze hitting her face as the full light of the afternoon sun surrounded her. She soon saw the person she wanted to find more than anyone else in the world just then – her best friend, the Cleric.

         Amethyst plopped next to the Cleric, who looked up, startled. “Oh, hello, Amethyst,” he said with a ready smile. He leaned back against the tree. “I was just praying. The sunlight is nice today.”

         “It is,” Amethyst agreed. She smiled, too, and put her arm around the Cleric’s slight shoulders, her fingers brushing the band of the cross necklace he always wore. She hugged him close, unable to say anything, as the wind made the branches of the old oak creak above them.

         “What is it, my friend?” the Cleric asked, concerned. “When we are together, you are usually talking about so many happy things, no matter how quiet I am. No matter what I have been through, hearing your voice makes me feel better. Why are you so silent today? Are you feeling alright?”

         Amethyst shook her head. “No,” she finally said. “Cleric…do you remember when we first joined the Allies team?”

         “How could I ever forget?” he replied. “You all helped me fight against the dark sorceress Mantra. I was so afraid. Had you not been there, I would not have survived it, Amethyst.”

         “And do you remember our trip to the monastery afterwards?” Amethyst asked. “We went back to your old home, and everything seemed different and confusing to you.”

         “Yes,” the Cleric said, his eyes far away as he reminisced about the day. “You helped me see then that I was doing what was right. That I was on the right path even though it was big and scary.”

         Amethyst laid her head down on the Cleric’s shoulder. “What I never told you that day, was that I wished I could help you more,” she said, the wind blowing her purple hair into her eyes. “I had never been there. I had never had to run for my life, and so, I didn’t think there was any way I could help you, because I couldn’t understand what you’d gone through. And now, after everything that’s happened, I do understand. I’ve been there. I’ve stood there, unsure of how to save my friends, of how to help you, and Cleric…I don’t know what I’m doing anymore.”

         Amethyst brushed away a tear. “We fight so hard to protect this world every day, but the problems aren’t going away. There’s always another villain to face, another danger that can hurt us, and I’m scared. I’m afraid of losing you, of losing any one of you. You’re my best friend in the whole world, and I don’t know what I’d do without you. You understand my crazy side, and how I feel even though all my words don’t even make sense to me now. Cleric…What do I do?”

         The Cleric hugged Amethyst close. “Ever since our first adventure,” he began, “you have been there for me. You understood me, even when I could not speak English so well. Even when I was afraid, and unsure of my footing, you shone so brightly, and helped me to keep going. You helped me be the hero I am today. You are the sister I never had, and I thank God every day for you.”

         “We balance each other,” the Cleric continued. “You are so confident, and you love to help others. I love to help, too, but I am quieter, and sometimes, I have a difficult time stepping forward. But that is what makes us such good friends. We are different, and our differences make us stronger.”

         “You say I’m confident,” Amethyst said. “Outgoing, maybe. But confident…This is actually the first time in my life that I’ve had a lack of confidence. I never really understood what that was like, either. I could plow through anything, because I knew if I just kept going, I’d make it. I didn’t understand why others had a hard time doing that. Now, I get it.”

         “But you always helped others with that confidence,” the Cleric said. “You inspire us all so much. We know we can do it, because you are there.”

         “You always say thigs to help me feel better,” Amethyst said. “And I love that. You’re so encouraging, and full of faith and love, and – ah, Cleric, we almost lost you, and I couldn’t do a darn thing to help! So what kind of hero does that make me? I just want to protect you, and if I can’t do that, then why am I doing any of this? I just want to run away from it all!”

         “Oh,” the Cleric said. He held his friend as she cried.

         “Amethyst,” the Cleric said as her tears began to subside. “You are a hero. And you make a difference every time you stand up for what is right. These last battles…they have not been easy. But you and all the others were there for me. Had you not been there, I could not have lived.”

         “But I didn’t punch that villain in the face, or do anything in the battle, or anything!” Amethyst protested.

         “But you did what you needed to do,” the Cleric said. “And you did save my life, Amethyst. You rescued me once again. Sometimes, it is not about fighting with swords and powers. Sometimes, it is a battle of the spirit. And your spirit is so strong that you gave me strength when I was fading away.”

         “I did?” Amethyst asked.

         “Yes!” the Cleric replied. “I felt all of you there, praying for me. Even though I could not speak.”

         “Amethyst, what we do as superheroes,” the Cleric continued, holding her hand, “it is not always easy. And it is sometimes difficult to see that we are doing any good. But I can tell you with certainty that what you do, what you fight for and believe in, it does make a difference. At least to me. You help me every day with your bright, noble spirit.”

         “You help me, too, Cleric,” Amethyst said, hugging him close. “You help me with your quiet faith. No matter how hard times get, I want to protect you. You help me so much, just by being there.”

         “So do you,” the Cleric said.

         “Hey, that’s…Oh,” Amethyst said. She giggled. “Just by being there. You’re right – it’s not all about battles, is it? For superheroes, or for friends? Just being there really is enough.”

         “Exactly,” the Cleric replied.

         “Thanks,” Amethyst said. “I…I needed that. I’m so ready to jump into a fight to protect others, but I needed to know that I can help in other ways, too. I love you. Let’s keep being best friends, and superheroes, together, okay?”

         “I would not have it any other way,” the Cleric said.

         And together, Amethyst and the Cleric would continue to fight for what was right, as best superhero friends.

July 25, 2021 05:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Grayson Smith
19:35 Jul 31, 2021

Very nice response to the prompt, the dialogue felt so real, and even though it was about superheroes, anyone could relate to it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.