0 comments

Fiction Teens & Young Adult

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

The entrance bell rang as John Smith walked through the door to the 7-11.

He’d sigh, putting his hands in his pockets, taking in his bright and messy surroundings.

As John walked through the gas station, he noticed the little sharpie drawings staining the shelves. The buzz of the fluorescent lights hummed as he walked slowly through the aisles of junk food. John felt a tap on his shoulder, turning to find an old and tiny man. 

“Hello…?” John raised an eyebrow, puzzled. 

“Hey kid, wanna buy something?” The man opened his jacket, smiling with missing teeth. 

“No thanks…” John looked his jacket up and down, noticing all the random items that were pocketed. The old man closed his jacket, disappointed. 

“Your loss kiddo.” John watched the old man limp away, out of the door.

“That was weird.” He turned back around, looking over to see the Icee machine. 

“Right, that's what I came for...” He thought to himself, walking over with a pep in his step. John grabbed the largest cup available, starting to fill it to the brim with a Cola slushie.

 “What the heck is that?” He’d whisper under his breath, watching the brownish yellow tinted water pour out. John gagged, covering his mouth and running to the trash can, throwing the cup away.

 “Well that already ruins my morning..day? Morning.” John raised his eyebrows annoyed, rolling his eyes. 

“Might as well get something since I’m here...” He walked through the aisles again, looking side to side. 

John moved to a different aisle, making eye-contact with an emo boy. He immediately looked away, turning in the other direction.

 “Why are you looking away? Are you scared?” The emo boy walked closer, his silver chains jingling. John turned back to him, looking down to make eye contact again. 

“No. This isn't the aisle I was looking for.”

 “Really? Or do you not want to admit you’re scared?” 

John rolled his eyes, “Why would I be scared of a college dropout?” He shrugged, putting his hands in his pockets.

 “You have been warned, there is nowhere to run, you will pay the price I will-” John turned, walking away from the emo.

He sighed, then noticing flaming hot Cheetos. 

“Well good enough.” He shrugged, grabbing the top of the bag, walking over to the drink case. John grabbed a Coke without hesitation, shutting the door behind him. He’d walk to the cash register, relieved that nothing else had happened. 

“That’ll be $6.21!” The cashier smiled, putting her hand out.

 “Here.” John grabbed a ten-dollar bill out of his pocket, grabbing his food and walking away. 

“Sir-” The bell rang behind the sound of the door slamming. 

“That took longer than expected-” John yanked on the door handle, then seeing the glass shards on his seat.

 “What the?” He looked to his side, seeing the shattered window. He’d repeat “Oh no!” to himself as he scoured through his car, making sure nothing was stolen. John let out a long sigh of relief, brushing the glass off his seat cautiously. Shutting the door, he talked to himself, 

“Finally…I can relax.” He unscrewed the cap of his soda bottle, taking a sip and immediately spewing it out.

 “Why is it warm?” He thought to himself as he coughed loudly. John threw the Coke into his cup holder, setting the cap on top. He then opened the bag of Cheetos, looking inside to see only one Cheeto. “Come on!” John threw the bag to the bottom of his car, groaning. 

“This sucks.” 

John’s ear perked as he heard police sirens wailing louder and louder. “A cop chase would make up for all of this though! ~” He said happily, putting his hands together mischievously. John put his head out of his car, looking around to try to see the action. 

“Where is this even happening-” He felt a cold, metal object hit his head. 

“Everyone back up NOW before I blow this man's brains out!” An unfamiliar voice yelled, making John realize he was at gunpoint.

“Back up!” The man pushed the gun farther into his head, turning the safety off.

“Put the gun down!” The cops yelled back, police sirens growing louder and louder. John winced as the gun pushed farther into his head, but then yanked away. 

“Finally, he decided to not-” The loud blast echoed through the area, blood splattering everywhere. John turned to the man that was once standing, now over the hood of his Toyota Corolla.  He put his hand on his face, wiping off the newly stained blood. 

“What…just happened…” John whispered under his breath as cops flooded the scene. He slumped back into his car, zoning out. A faint voice called out his name as he zoned back in, noticing the hand waving in front of his face. “I’m going to need you to exit your car sir. I have a couple questions for you.” A cop sternly said, tipping his head down slightly. 

“If you can sir, please explain what you just saw to me.”

“You literally just saw that guy kill himself?” John raised his eyebrows, shocked and confused. 

“Yes, but we need a witness statement. Now, please tell me if you can identify that man over there.” 

“I don’t know that dude! The only thing I know is that he tried to kill me, then he killed himself.” John threw his hands up in self-defense. The conversation continued as John told the story of that crazy last hour.

“Thank you, sir. You may now go home.” The officer tipped his hat, clicking his pen off and walking away. 

“I need to tell my ma about this...” John turned back to his car, purposefully looking away from the blood stain on the gas pump. He’d press the ignition button, attempting to start his car. 

“I swear on my life-” John checked the steering front to make sure nothing seemed wrong. He’d open the hood of his car, seeing a chunk of it missing. 

“Holy 7-11…”

.

August 03, 2023 23:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.