0 comments

Science Fiction

I squinted out of the small window blankly at the stars stretching out into the abyss of the endless darkness. Thirty six hours, twelve minutes and three seconds. Thirty six hours, twelve minutes and four seconds. Thirty six hours, twelve minutes and five seconds. Thirty six hours, twelve minutes and the useless man let out his third long sigh in the past eight minutes. I closed my eyes and rubbed the bridge of my nose. Again I raised my head to the empty landscape of blurred white specks and continued my count, to see how long it would take those ignorant monarchs to realize their only hope of victory was  on a battleship heading straight into Federation territory! Again the guard sighed. I kicked the wall and grunted. 

“They were right about you being feisty, if you keep kicking that wall and such, I might have to get something to restrain you!” His laugh filled the corridor and rang loudly in my ears for a while before I turned around and tried to make out his shape on the other side of the glass. All I could make out was his tall figure perched on a chair in the darkness across from me, enjoying himself while he watched me. His shift was for eight hours and so far he has made the most noise during it, which I found quite annoying. I looked at the wall leaned myself against it. 

“You realize it is quite inhumane to take away my sight, it is not like can not close the window so I don't see where you are taking me.” I looked to the ceiling. 

“Inhumane,” he paused, “that's a funny thing for you to say since you program the machines that oppress our people,” his tone on edge, then I heard him swing his body around in the chair to face me, “besides, it's not my fault that you are an old blind bat,” I could feel his smirk as he watched to see my demeanor change, “the boss said that you look less like a threat with them off, I would say almost good-looking.” I closed my eyes again and smiled, 

“Well I like to think it's so I can not escape, because I could right now, but I do need those glasses to make out minor details you see,” I turned in his direction, “like how pretty your face is so I know if I should leave it scared,” I snorted, “or deformed.” I wish I could have seen his face, but I heard a faint gulp.

“Well, you are a messed up girl.” He concluded and grew abnormally silent. Sitting down I crossed my legs and stared at the wall continued. Thirty six hours, thirteen minutes and twenty-six seconds. Thirty six hours, thirteen minutes and twenty-seven minutes. 

It was probably one of the most pathetic things I have ever seen, or more like listened to. The simpleton guard fell asleep, I could hear his snoring, and while I plugged my ears to concentrate, the whole ship shook violently and the lights flickered. Finally, they got the message and came. I stood up and waited as I heard the sound of at least twelve royal cruiser breaking into the silent scene and overpowering the ship. It went on for about two hours and eighteen minutes, the sounds of men shouting, lasers blasting and effortless retreating, and i waited impatiently to the sound of snoring. Finally, I heard footsteps running down the door of the hallway and cried out,

“I'm in here you fools, I'm here!” But the footsteps started to be drowned out by snoring. I punched the glass, kicked the wall and cussed them all out, but soon all I could hear was snoring.  They had to hear me, I knew they could, they had to hear this twits snoring breaking the silence of the ship they just massacred. I lay on the ground and through my fists onto it, as the cruisers raced off into noiseless space. I could taste the salty tears as I screamed bloody murder for hours, and when I stopped, all I could hear was snoring. Now I sat on the floor, legs crossed doing my best to stare at this moron as he slept in the piercing silence of the ship, his chest rising and falling so peacefully. Then he jumped up out of his chair and look down. 

“Gesh, you look like someone gave you a beating, what happened to you?” rubbing his eyes snickered, “hope I wasn't asleep too long.” I did my best to grin,

“ Oh no, not long at all, not much has happened while you slept,” nothing at all,” then I stood up and threw myself at the glass, “ only that you slept threw a whole bloody hijacking off the ship! I know the Royal Cruisers to not leave any survivors, but somehow they left me!!!” I could feel his stupid face changing and placed my head on the glass, “If I were you, I would find a way to get yourself off this ship before I get out of here.” Laughing hysterically, I closed my eyes and dropped to the ground. The lights went out. I heard him run to the door and clumpy struggle with it. Crawling forward to the glass I went to touch it but then found myself face planting into the floor. Outside the cell.

“Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, she is going to kill me,” he whimpered and swung the door open, which sent him into the wall. Shaking my head which was now throbbing I found his chair to bring myself to my feet and watched the blurred man bolt out the door. Slowly I made my way through the dark hall and leaned in the doorway as I listened as his screams sporadically got farther away, probably as he found the bodies of his comrades sprawled on the floor. I shook my head and tried to find the blueprints of the ship layout I had glanced over once and tried to think of what they could have possibly been stored that would supersede, well rescuing me. 

It only took about fifteen minutes for me to find my way to the security room, after stumbling over bodies in the dark. Upon doing this I did my best to turn on the ships backup power and was satisfied when finally the lights ate away the darkness of the ship. Leaning back in a chair I closed my eyes and fumbled around for the intercom and spoke,

“To anyone who is alive, if you would please bring me my glasses, I will spare you life, thank you have ten minutes, countdown starting now.” In the distance a faint scream broke the silence of the dead. After six minutes and fifty-two I felt something come sliding through the door and bent over to pick up my glasses. Placing them on my face I frowned and turned to the screens which I could now see. 

“ Sir, I said I wouldn't kill you, now be helpful and get yourself in here and explain to me what this ships cargo was.” The guard slowly peeked around the corner and tried to smile, 

“The cargo?” After searching the floor for his answer he dryly stated, “Oh, you must mean the King’s dog, that must have been what they came for.” His head retreated as I slammed the table. Getting up I went to the hall and finally was able to see the guards reaction as I asked, 

“How many hands does this ship need to fully run in battle?”

January 14, 2020 19:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.