0 comments

Coming of Age Happy

Someone who has been in the dark for their whole life can never get out of the dark. I am that person who has been in the dark for their whole life.

Since 4 years old, I've been alone. With nobody by my side, I've been able to get through 13 years of my life. My parents don't care, my friends have all left, and my classmates are nothing.

I'm a senior at the high school I got to, and school life isn't what I expected. When I was younger, school was like heaven; a great place to be with great people. Now I see, school is hell, like a prison that traps you in with different kinds of people.

I spend half the time doing homework and classwork, and the other half is spent on analyzing people. He seems like he hates high school. She seems like a brat. He seems athletic but kind. Oh, that one there seems athletic but mean. In my eyes, everyone is different.

The person I hate the most in the whole school is Scott Aquino. He's loud, popular, and strange. Very, very, strange. He never does his homework, and he's very arrogant. Overall, I have many negative words to describe him. I, on the other hand, am much better than him.

Sometimes I sit down and wonder: How did Scott even become popular? I am never a rude person, but to pay back all the annoying things he's done, I will "judge" or "analyze" him a bit. His brain doesn't function right, and he's very impatient. He's too energized and loud.

Another day is just God giving me another chance. And once again, I will not be taking that chance. "Good morning!" Scott walks up to me and shouts in my ear. Shut up. "Hi," I say back. He follows me around before the bell rings, and we head in different directions.

All my classes were like usual, slow, but not too boring. Scott on the other hand complained about all of them being "too slow" or "being too boring." "There are only a few months left, that's good," I replied. It was almost the end of April, which meant the start of May was soon. The start of May meant that summer vacation was just a month and around 20 days away. That also meant I could avoid Scott for a nice 3 months.

"Good, but bad. We have to stay in touch." Scott then said. I sighed and nodded. I didn't want to have to think about such annoying things. He looked at me seriously and then smiled. "Either way, 2 more months. So we have time." Once he looked away, I rolled my eyes and got up.

The bell rang, and I went to my last 3 classes of the day. By the end of the day, I was tired, but still awake. Scott found me outside of the school and ran over. "Hey, are you waiting for me?" He asked, smiling. "What? No, why?" I asked, annoyed. I wouldn't wait for someone like you. He smiled and then started walking in the direction of my house. "Whatever you say."

"Where're you headed?" I asked him, noticing he was acting suspiciously. "I'm bringing you home, can't you tell?" I looked at him and raised my eyebrows, but then shrugged it off. I knew he was weird, but he would never follow someone home. As we started walking to my house, I noticed it had gotten extremely cold.

I wasn't too bothered by it, but of course, Scott thought I was. This is the exact reason I hate him, he keeps on doing the opposite of what I want. So stupid. "You look cold! Want my jacket?" He pointed to his dirty black jacket and smiled. I raised an eyebrow and shook my head.

"I'm not cold, stop worrying." I would rather die than wear that black jacket. "Whatever you say," he shook his head smiling and said. Once we finally reached my house, I found myself in an extremely bad mood. "Scott, you didn't have to FOLLOW me home. That's creepy," I said, quickly running behind my front door.

"I'm not following you home! I'm bringing you home. There's a big difference." He said seriously. I looked at him with a confused look and then waved my hand. "Okay then, you can leave now," I said, closing the door. "Aw, that hurts." I heard Scott say before I closed the door.

I unpacked my backpack and ran upstairs to start on the homework. I didn't have a pile of homework, but then again, that didn't mean it wouldn't take me at least 2 or so hours. So, I quickly got working on the homework and the few projects I had due the next week.

Once it was nighttime, I microwaved some frozen pizza and brought it upstairs to eat. My parents were home, but they could care less about me. Before I went to bed at 10:00p.m, I heard mother shouting at father for drinking again. My father was an alcoholic, and my mother was the only one who worked. Besides for me, of course.

I tutored younger elementary and middle school kids whenever I had time, and my mother worked different jobs. Sometimes she was a scientist's assistant, and other times she worked a full-time job around town. Either way, she worked somewhere new every few months.

My father used to be a very bright man, who loved his family. It all changed when my older sister died, though. Everything changed. I tend to try and forget about my sister's death because it hurts too much. But every now and then, it comes crawling into my mind.

I went to bed that night tired but woke up at around 2a.m. I didn't know why I woke up so early, but I sat there for quite some time before falling asleep again at 4a.m.

The next day, I felt sleep-deprived and exhausted. I was never a morning person, but I had to get to school. I quickly ran out of the house with my backpack and belongings before seeing Scott near the school. Scott waved to me, and I looked down. "Hey, good morning. You seem like you're in a bad mood," Scott said, pointing to my face.

"I'm always in a bad mood, especially when you're around," I muttered. "What? What's wrong?" He asked. "Nothing, just tired. We're going to be late for school," I sighed, pointing at the students who had started walking into the building. "Right! I completely forgot." He said, running over.

Yeah, you're so dumb you even forgot about school. I rolled my eyes and then quietly walked over to Scott, who was getting in line to go in. He looked at me and waved me over. "Here, take my spot." He said, going behind me. "But you're last now," I said. "That's okay," he answered, smiling. Stupid.

The rest of the school day passed very quickly since it was a Friday. Teachers were lazier than usual, and there was only one page of homework. It was a miracle to all the students except for me.

By the end of the day, Scott came outside to find me again. "It's Friday, go away," I said, finally in a good mood after seeing the sun. "It's Friday! We should hang out. Plus, we have one page of homework. You can't tell me you're not going to finish that in 15 minutes." He said, taking out his phone and checking the time.

"Well, maybe I'm not," I answered, annoyed. After a long time of Scott pleading and me declining, I finally gave in. "Fine, 5p.m, and you can't be late," I said, walking in the direction of my house. "Yay! Great, thanks!" Scott exclaimed, walking in the opposite direction.

By 5:00, I was already quite tired, but because I wasn't one to forget, I still met up with Scott near the school. "Wow, you actually came." He sounded surprised and nervous. "Why wouldn't I?" I asked, tilting my head to the side.

"I just didn't think you would," He said, starting to walk. I started walking as well before he stopped in his tracks. "Can I ask you something?" He asked. "Go ahead," I said, looking to the ground. "Would you be okay with me.. liking you?"

I was surprised, but then shrugged. "I don't know," I said, feeling embarrassed. Everything was going so fast and I didn't know how to react. "I don't know," I repeated. Scott didn't seem like a bad person, but he was annoying. He was fun but dumb.

"I'll be there for you 365 days a year, which is.. every day! I'll walk you home whenever you want me to, and I'll help you with your homework, although you don't seem like you need the help.. either way, I'll be your best friend." He said. I let out a small laugh, and he looked at me with a surprised look.

"I didn't know you could laugh," He exclaimed, smiling. "I can. And, whatever I guess. Do whatever makes you happy." I answered, looking away. "Wow! Thanks! Haha, this is why you're so cute. I'm going to head home, have a good day! Text me!" He shouted, before running in the other direction.

I was embarrassed but quite happy. Maybe someone like me, a person who had been in the dark for nearly their whole life, can have a happy ending too. I was relieved that Scott didn't hate me, and maybe a part of me liked him too.

NOTE: Sooo cringy, I'm so sorry. I think I wrote around 3 different stories for this one prompt? I liked this one better, hope everything makes sense.

May 07, 2021 13:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.