The Cost of Madness

Submitted into Contest #241 in response to: Write about a backstabbing (literal or metaphorical) gone wrong.... view prompt

24 comments

Horror Contemporary Fiction

The Winston family is among the fairgoers, stepping gingerly through the mud. 

Matthew leads his wife and son to his favorite game of all.

"It's called the 'Wild Wild West,' Timmy. You're going to love it!" 

Matthew had fired guns since he was a little tyke, growing up on his father's ranch, catching vermin long before he applied for the police academy.   

A Ferris wheel stands against the sky like a gaudy bracelet. 

Minutes later, Matthew recognizes the familiar pop of a .22 caliber rifle. Mechanical ducks totter and creak across the back of the gallery, and the rifles crack and spit. 

"Step right up! Step right up, folks, test your skill, and win a prize," sang the shooting gallery man in an awkward black-and-white striped top hat. 

"What's your heart fixed on getting, young man?"

"I really want those big ones?" Replies Tim.

The pitchman pointed to small cars on a wire. 

"Shoot out the small red dot," he says. "You have five shots to do it, and you can take any prize in the house."

Matthew already has his tokens out.

"How much is it?"

"Four tokens per tube of shells! Take your chances now, sir! We got a line of winners today."

Matthew obliges. 

It's a pump rifle fastened to the counter by a chain. 

Matthew raises the rifle.

"The elbow rest is permitted."

"That won't be necessary."

Matthew swiftly fires all five rounds and lowers the weapon. 

"Let me have that big bear," he said.

When the card returned, you couldn't find red on it with a microscope.

The pitchman trollies a little cart down the wire, unpins it, and hands it to Matthew.

Matthew slaps another two dollars worth on the counter.

"What you want next, Timmy?"

When Matthew had won two bears, a tiger, and a small audience, the pitchman took the rifle away from him.

"That's it for you, buddy."

Hey," says Matthew. "You never said nothin' about how many times you could win."

"Thanks, Dad!" 

"Anything for you, son…"

"Okay, Matthew, you don't have to keep up the charade," mumbles Delilah.

"Ya know, Delilah…how about a little appreciation? There isn't a man in this state who could have hit those shots with such ease."

"Oh? Oh? Are you talking about spending time with your son or shooting things? We all know you can fire a gun, Matthew. Bravo!"

"That's enough, Delilah. Point taken!" Exclaims Matthew.

"Can you get off my ass? I'm trying…"

Matthew walks away from them, hands in pockets, whistling as if nothing had happened. 

Matthew eventually slows down to allow them to catch up.

Heavy rain begins to fall.

Mathew waits on a knee to embrace Tim.

"Son, I love you."

Matthew stands and grabs Delilah by the hand.

"I love you, too. I always have, and I always will."

Matthew feels her again—just for a moment—long enough to lean in and whisper," Delilah, if I cannot come back, I want you to know it's okay. It's better that way. Tim will stay. He will finally live safe and free…"

Delilah's eyes shine through the darkness.

"I have nothing left that I can offer you. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for everything. It's time now. I must leave."

Tim cries as Matthew departs. 

"Don't you think of coming back this time!" Hearkens Delilah. "You hear me! Don't you come back!!!!”

***

The warehouse doors are agape like stretched jaws waiting to consume him.

Matthew walks further, hypnotized by the glowing altar and smoking incense that swirls like an ethereal storm. The altar is calmly waiting for him, lucidly outlined by a pentagram. 

Ten isosceles triangles, five acute triangles, and five obtuse triangles chalked a perfect geometric construction.

Matthew pulls three candles from his sports jacket and lights all three.

The onlookers surrounding the altar are naked.

Many of them are drenched in blood.

Others are in the process of mutilating themselves with sharp instruments

They babble alien words that cannot be understood.

Outside the circle stand robed beings with hoods dangling over hidden faces.

Matthew strips naked and stands in the center of the circle

He drinks a crimson liquid, thick and tacky. 

The hallucinations begin. 

A lifetime of victims reminds Matthew of the shame and guilt he now suffers. 

The lives he had taken, eloping spirits madly weaving in and out of the shadows without any particular order.

"Take me… I am the disease. Spare my family! It was me… never them. I'm the one…"

Matthews's hands tremble as he drops tightly bound scrolls containing the names of those he wishes to release from the curse.

The room begins to vibrate, oscillate, and blur.

"I am the sickness. I am the disease. Spare my child. I am the sickness. I am the disease. Spare my child. Dammit! I said come to me! I am the sickness…the disease! Spare my child!"

A bell rings.

The robed entities approach the center and pull their hoods back.

Milky, bullet-skulled, shaved heads with sharp kernels of jutting marrow give way to the fact that they are not mere mortals.

Their black eyes are without expression.

They take Matthew and force him to lie on the altar.

The demons caress his body with oil, and quickly, his skin numbs.

Coins are placed on his eyes after they have been meticulously sewn shut.

The tip of a blade is inserted into Matthew's bony sternum and pulled down all the way to his naval.

Matthew moans.

Streams of blood rush down jagged layers of fettered flesh.

Several sets of hands pull and hollow the yawning chasm, sifting and squeezing the organs inside.

Just as Matthew passes out, he feels the sensation of something being forced into the abyss of his guts.

Darkness falls.

***

When Matthew wakes, it's dark outside, 

He is buckled behind an unmarked black SUV with the heater on high and the engine rumbling.

James, Matthew's partner, nudges him and offers a fresh cup of brewed coffee.

Matthew blinks, takes the cup, and stares at the low-income housing complex across the street.

Three people are gossiping out front. 

A skinny shaved white kid in sweatpants, a fat black man in dreads, and a rail thing Hispanic teenager with a skirt so short that her ass is hanging out.

The gang walks a block to the northwest towards the local strip joint.

James offers Matthew a hit of coke off a small spoon.

Matthew snorts it, and he's suddenly aware of the world in a deeper, clearer way.

Another car blasts Guns N' Roses "Welcome to the Jungle".

"You kids don't know the half of it…"

James smirks.

  "… it's go time!”

Guns, unholster.

Safeties click off. 

Within moments, the gang knows they are being pursued. 

The skinny kid whistles. 

The Latina girl trips over her high heels.

The fat man does not even move. He grins and puts his hands up.

"Don't shoot," he says.

Matthew pays no mind and puts a bullet right between his eyes.

***

Rats run up and down behind alleyway garbage cans.

They nip at Matthew's flesh.

"Just make it end!" Matthew screams.

It will be over soon. 

Matthew tries to remember their names.

All the people, friends, the world around, especially the boy whose hair was brown. 

His boy.

He recalls how Delilah got him into this whole mess.

"I did it for you, Delilah! Everything was for you! Remember, we couldn't even have Timmy until I made the oath!"

Matthew remembers her whispering, "You did the right thing for us, honey! For our family…"

Then, she would hold Matthew's face in her hands and try to take his pain.

Matthew would try to help her understand, but she could not.

And soon, the boy was not enough for her.

She would have what she wanted now. 

The knowledge. How it was that Matthew made it happen.

The sacrifice for love and family faded.

"You will," says Matthew. "If that's what you truly want, you'll find out soon enough."

***

It approaches with a crown of horns and antlers above its head, lumbering toward Matthew. 

Its elongated sinews and muscles move harshly and rigidly. 

Great gusts spew from its snout and flicker flames.

Its eyes glow red, and it comes with three purposes in mind.

Kill.

Steal.

Destroy.

Delilah falls to her knees in worship.

"He called upon you, master. It was Matthew, not I…"

But there is no pleading now. 

Nothing left to ask for.

Nothing to forgive 

It shifts its shape as it walks.

One moment, it has a goat head, and the following is a minotaur. 

It does not listen or reason.

Pain is the devil's only laughter

"Oh woman, what a naive delight you have been," it says as a great wingspan unfolds behind its back.

It stands erect and stretches its wings, fluttering as other creatures emerge from under its leathery feathers.

"You wanted to see me. Here I am…"

Ants begin filling Matthew's chest, and Delilah is infested with beetles. Unable to make a sound, their mouths open, and they vomit grubs and worms.

"Didn't see this one coming. You ask your husband to sell his soul for a child, then have the audacity to beg my presence!"

A rush of wind and a blast of heat keeps Matthew's eyes closed. He recalls the sculptures, the piles of sticks, the pyramids, twine and rope vines, and metal running up and down the alleyway containing the small sculptures he'd been making his whole life, these quiet moments of meditation-sending them out into the world the stream of evil that finally added up to a worthy sacrifice. 

"It's your turn, Delilah…Are you ready?"

Pain.

Suffering.

Vengeance.

"It's you that I take now… so hear your son's voice one final time… there, there, that's enough… you are the sickness… you are the disease…. And you shall pay for what you have done."

March 11, 2024 12:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

Krissa Svavars
14:54 Mar 19, 2024

Wonderfully dark story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Linda Kenah
13:17 Mar 18, 2024

Very intense. Written extremely well. Great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Silent Mumbler
05:24 Mar 14, 2024

An amazing read full of horror and terror. Loved it. Thankyou so much for liking my newbie stories.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
15:05 Mar 15, 2024

My friend there is no such thing as a "newbie story!" Trust me every week I sit down and write, Im learning some new shit that's like... "oh, a comma goes there," or, how do you spell 'calander' again? (-dammit, that's an "ar"!) Let's both keep being newbies and reading each others' work. Bless you my new friend, Dustin

Reply

Silent Mumbler
18:44 Mar 15, 2024

This advice means a lot to me, thank you so much Dustin!

Reply

Dustin Gillham
23:21 Mar 17, 2024

SM, gonna' pop over and read more of your stuff soon. I don't think I am going to call you silent mumbler. I like your voice... gimme a sec.... okay, got it... I'm going to refer to you as the loquacious shrieker. What's your real name, friend?

Reply

Silent Mumbler
17:54 Mar 19, 2024

Loquacious shrieker, wow love that! My real name is Ekagri by the way. And once again, thankyou for these positive and encouraging comments, they mean a lot to me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dana W
01:57 Mar 14, 2024

Intense. Disturbing. Very well written. One of those "I want to look away but I can't" stories.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
23:31 Mar 17, 2024

Dana! I'm so sorry. I'm such a dickhead for not replying. This compliment really honored me and you are on my list to read for this week. Thank you thank you thank you tytytytyty! When I read this, my nugget went directly to one of the most beautiful opening scenes, Gangs of New York, never look away. Anyways, I'm no Daniel Day Lewis, but wanting to look away but can't... in my mind, this is one of the greatest compliments I have received, it means that I wrote something that was worth the effort, even if just for you, because that's...

Reply

Dana W
20:33 Mar 19, 2024

I'm glad that my comment had such an impact. I wasn't bothered by your delayed reply.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Edd Baker
19:30 Mar 12, 2024

Really great read, Dustin. Increasingly intriguing and disturbing, very much a descent into hell. The meshing of tone was well done, as well as the inclusion of various horror sub-genres (cult horror, and some pretty gnarly body horror). The description of Matthew being taken by the cultists and mutilated gave me strong Hellraiser vibes, especially with the appearance of the robed entities. Really fun and terrifying read, great job.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
08:21 Mar 13, 2024

Edd bless your heart! Dude this piece was an intense read. I recognized the condition of my heart and I kept going, even though I knew it was going to be like sliding down a razer blade. I thought I used the gore tastefully, like it wasn't just watching pointless violence, and I felt it was beyond creepy and very macabre when all said and done. I did go a little Clive Barker and I CANT THINK OF ANOTHER HORROR WRITER THAT GOES DARKER BEYOND THIS ONE! Thank you for enduring.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
17:40 Mar 12, 2024

I don't have an exact comment on this story because I'm unsure what to think. This kind of "stuff" makes my day (cause I'm a kid born in November - those kids are born for horrors and fiction), but I'm still under the impression. It is bloody, scary, crazy, and violent - the story that makes my blood boil.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
08:12 Mar 13, 2024

Darvico, thank you for reading. I'm a very moody writer. The last month has been tough on my soul. I've been feeling a great deal of anger and hurt. I tend toward the horror genre, this one was certainly like chewing on a piece of sandpaper gumm. blessings to you Darvico

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
08:21 Mar 13, 2024

Maybe I didn't express myself in the right way. I loved the story so much that I couldn't find the best way to comment. Sorry for your bad situation, but that's why the story serves to express those feelings and let them go. God knows I do it all the time. All good to you, man.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
08:24 Mar 13, 2024

Thank you friend! I'm grateful that you enjoyed it. I got what you were saying, and I am honored and grateful for your time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
18:54 Mar 11, 2024

Horrible, horrible, horrible! Just what you wanted! Thanksfor liking my simple flood story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tom Skye
14:39 Mar 11, 2024

Very cleverly structured. The shifts in tone were jarring, but in a gripping way. Awesome work.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
17:28 Mar 11, 2024

As long as they were awkward and scared the shit out of you then Im happy... lol. Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Corina P
13:59 Mar 11, 2024

I like how the story gradually escalates to detailed horror descriptions! It really captivates the reader to see 'what's next', great job :)

Reply

Dustin Gillham
17:30 Mar 11, 2024

Awe karina, you stole my heart with that comment. I always like to start out kind of chill and then make the readers think, what the hell is happening now lol? I'm honored and grateful for your time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
12:58 Mar 11, 2024

Wow ! What a creative story, Dustin ! Very gripping flow. I was wondering what Matthew was doing in this type of ceremony. Lovely job.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
13:34 Mar 11, 2024

Thank you Stella! I hope I tied it altogether sometimes people don't like when I leave so much room for the readers interpretation.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
13:44 Mar 11, 2024

You did great, I think. And I don't mind if you let us speculate on what happens next.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.