Your Best Bet!

Submitted into Contest #237 in response to: Write a love story without using the word “love.”... view prompt

5 comments

Christian Contemporary Romance

Nicky meandered into work, her sleek attire impressive as always. Her hair was well-groomed, in an upswept bun to show she meant business. Her skirt was pencil slim, topped with a matching jacket. Nicky had a bit of a shoe fetish, her high heels showed off her legs, with sheer hosiery.

Naturally, Nicky did not tell her collaborative team of Christian counselors about her own fixations. She had already been promoted, and was regarded as slightly icy to males, but a true professional mediator in well-being. As one of the leading professionals in her workplace environment, Nicky could not tell anyone that these days, she was taking some of her work home with her. She was unable to turn off her brain at night. So, she bought more high-heeled shoes, always presenting as so immaculate and focused on improving everyone's outcomes.

It had all started when a younger male client had been referred to Nicky for anger management counselling. His name was Beau, dark, tall, a bit scruffy. He was a handsome man, he knew it. But he was a seething mass of dependency and resentment.

Beau was on parole, and had breached everything in his recommended anger management course. He and another angry young man had punched each other, terrifying their psychologist. So, desperate to avoid being jailed, he had agreed to overcome some of his issues by consulting the Christian Outreach Center, hoping for a fresh start.

Nicky was not too overwhelmed when she first met Beau, but maintained her professional status. He complained about sorting her fee, but she kept her cool. Nicky had studied for all those years, and was full of holistic good intentions. One slight blooper, as she and Beau first chatted .She asked him, "Tell me, how do you feel when you are arrested?' Beau, who could turn on the charm, did a double take. For once, he did not know what to say. "Angry, definitely!" He finally settled himself, and began listening to Nicky's suggestions about changing his choices, and future.

Nicky privately thought Beau behaved like an infant on certain days, but she started being drawn by his flashing dark eyes. Beau kept going with his appointments, it was part of his community service for some of his misdemeanors. He had to spend at least 100 hours doing tasks for no wages. He did complain that this was preventing him from having a job, so Nicky kept pumping him up. She told him that this phase would not last forever, he had to take any opportunity that the court system had given him.

Nicky was there to listen. At nights, she sometimes woke up imagining Beau's lips on hers, a first kiss, completely unexpected. She tried to imagine crossing that line, in her office, or at his pad, or hers. How could she mellow this fellow? That was her job, not fantasies. Of course, Nicky had read of counter-transference by health providers, so she had her guard up for each of Beau's appointments.

Beau, on the other hand, had started grooming up, his dress sense had improved, his aftershave was appealing. He had taken stock of his love life, while he had been compelled to stuff envelopes with pamphlets for his community service. He fancied Nicky, and started smiling, even meditating for reducing his stress levels. He was not sure that he could ever abandon his drinking and gambling, he was a racing fan. He thought Nicky was a beautiful filly, and just knew he had to have her in his arms.

So, one day, he asked Nicky what was her best strategy for staying sober. She had inspired him. Nicky was pleased with Beau's progress, for sticking with his counseling. "Jesus is your best bet, " she said, "He has the best hands." No, yours are, "Beau replied, "Yours are lovely." Nicky blushed, she could not help herself. As a professional and a Christian, her role meant that she could not interact this way.

So she played some meditation music for Beau, and silently prayed for some suitable approaches. She could never share with her team at work that she was so attracted. It was totally inappropriate, but she hesitated to refer him to someone else, that might set off Beau's anger again. She, of all people, wanted him to follow a future in the community, to be another one of her success stories.

"Come on, Beau, we can meditate now, and I shall pray and meditate with you. Take yourself to a happy, peaceful place in your soul, and focus on aligning your goals with Our Lord, for non-confrontation and peace to all." Unexpectedly, Beau laughed, and said, "Here I am, aligning myself with my inner lentil. No one can prove it's not as good. Jung, be proud."

Nicky giggled, her ice was broken. She was struggling for professional rapport here, but kept on praying. She knew her attraction to Beau was reflected in his eyes, dancing in the darkened meditation room, very holistic. He was only eight years younger than her, but he wanted her to be his cougar.

It had been a long, hard path for Beau, but he was now a stayer, as a racing commentator would say. So was Nicky, she did agree to meet him for a magical coffee. Yes, she crossed the line, never game to tell her counseling team of Christians. She breached every workplace protocol with Beau. Beau by name, and her beau by nature.

But it all came good, with a few hiccups along the way. Beau did grow up in Nicky's arms, his community service complete. With his new bed-mate's comfort and healing love, he finished his interrupted journalism degree, and landed a job as an online racing and sporting tipster.

Nicky was still a Christian, but at night she and Beau would lighten up in a soothing meditation, just to maintain his freedom from anger issues. They dreamed together. Nicky had her sleek life and couture, but at home she was wearing not much at all, just the way Beau liked her. Neither of this couple knew how long this would last. Beau did depend on Nicky, but that was what she was there for, it was always him.

Nicky wondered if she could ever convert Beau and his inner lentil to becoming a true believer, as he did need some crutch to get through life calmly. She should not have worried. Beau did really well, finally He was now a recognized racing expert. He was a tipster himself. Ironic, but his weekly column online was called, "Your Best Bet!"

February 12, 2024 19:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Mack Crotwell
15:00 Feb 22, 2024

I loved the religious aspect of this story seeing as not many writers include any type of religion in their stories. It gives the forbidden aspect that I've never seen like this. I thoroughly enjoyed your story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Helen A Smith
09:00 Feb 18, 2024

Oh dear! She really has crossed the line here. And yet? Is there a chance it can work out that and they can be good together? Stranger things have been known. A case of opposites attract. He loosened her up and she kept him on the straight and narrow. At least for the time being. An enjoyable read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Danie Holland
02:41 Feb 17, 2024

Julie — what I liked about this was the show casing of how often times a person can hide their inner desires or fixations from those around them. No one would have guessed our icy MC would fall for someone like Beau but with her so cold and him so fiery, they do make a nice pair! “He was a handsome man, he knew it. But he was a seething mass of dependency and resentment.” — Nicky: “I can fix him.”

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
02:30 Feb 13, 2024

Oooh, beautiful job, Julie. A little sensual. Great job !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
19:25 Feb 12, 2024

Racy? You bet.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.