The Deception

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story that takes place in the woods.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

“This is impeccable!”, said John.

”The star spangled night sky, the nightingale crooning its song, the twinkling fireflies flitting around and the pleasant breeze on the skin. What more could one ask for?” he mused.

“The universe is conspiring to make our stay here a pleasant one - sans the comfort of modern civilisation, close to the bossom of pristine nature,” sighed Jane.

John and Jane had decided to camp in the woods for a week. Camping in the woods was allowed to seekers of this form of adventure in these parts of the world. With necessary permission and appropriate disclaimers, a forest department official had thumped a walkie-talkie in each of their hands for communication. And also a GPS, their magic wand that would help guide their way around in the forest.

The forest was not a host to any of the ferocious, carnivore animals like the Asiatic lion or the Royal Bengal  Tiger, and hence there was no mortal threat from the animal kingdom at any point in time. This particular forest was more like a two hundred acre thicket of trees which provided a carte blanche of vivid experiences from the Neanderthal era, to individuals who sought them. There were no restaurants or fancy dinner places and such other hospitality avenues of their ilk. You had to carry your own food, (read Maggie and rice and biscuits). All activities were guarded by a strict no litter policy. You even had to answer nature’s call just like it was answered in the prehistoric times – out there in the nature. At any point in time, not more than two dozen campers were allowed inside the forest.

They had spent two days in the woods. They would wake up early in the morning to the call of chirping Coppersmith Barbets and the Indian Robin. The feel of the soft grass curl beneath their feet, the Sun on the skin and mist hanging in the air like heavy curtains would transport them to paradise. They would then brush their teeth with neem twigs. They would drink the fresh, clear waters from streams nearby. They made sure that they always hiked along the course of the stream to ensure constant supply of water.  The waters were so lucid, that they could see the bed of brown and grey rocks beneath.  For breakfast, lunch and dinner, John would set up a makeshift stove where they would cook Maggie or rice and munch on biscuits and chocolates.  Once they had had their fill, they would begin their trek, stopping sometimes to enjoy the cool shade beneath giant trees. Jane would click pictures of exotic flowers and try to identify their names and colors. They would also taste the luscious berries dangling from branches and discern the sweet cries of myriad birds along the way. At night, they would listen to music of the rustling leaves and drift away to sleep under a canopy of countless stars.     

John and Jane, lay cosy in their sleeping bags, palms tucked behind their heads. The moon shone bright overhead.

“If only we had a forest fairy in our midst,” John said laughing at his own joke.

The place lit up instantly. Not the kind of light that emanates from the electric glow of incandescent bulbs, it was more like a soft phosphorescent glow. Like the glow of a thousand fireflies that converged to an area. An instant later, a delicate looking, ethereal girl with beautiful, light eyes and a green shimmering dress appeared.

Jane gave a start. John rubbed his eyes vigorously to confirm that he was not dreaming.

The visitor spoke, “I was passing by and I heard my name being called out. That is why I came.”

“We did not call anybody,” Jane said, her eyes growing round with amazement.

“You did. I am the forest fairy around here,” she said with a smile.

Jane reached out to and touch John’s arm. She needed human touch right now.

“Don’t worry. I will bring you no harm,” she said in a voice that sounded just as beautiful as she looked.

John suddenly found that his tongue was glued to the roof of his mouth.

“Now that I am here, let me not waste this opportunity,” she said.

“What do you mean… madam?,” asked John stuttering.

“Let me first tell you about myself,” she said, removing stray wisps of hair out of her face.

“My name is Andromeda. I stay in the forests with my spirit family. I help people who pass along this way and call out my name. I have the power of making one of your wishes come true, “she said.

John and Jane looked at each other with wonder.

“One wish! Any wish,” she continued with a smile.

But John and Jane found it difficult to arrive at that one wish that had to be made a reality. It was not as if they carried around a ready made list of wishes in their heads. 

“We need to discuss this, um forest fairy..Andromeda,” Jane said.

“Alright, I’ll be back when you are ready. Just call out my name,” she said and disappeared.

“Wow! We’ve stumbled upon a jackpot. Straight from the pages of mythology,” John said, excited.

 “Let us ask for the one thing that is most important in our lives,” Jane said.

“And what is that?” John asked.

“Tell me John, what is the most important thing in your life. Something that can last you for the rest of your days happily.”

“Well, it is no doubt you, Jane.”

“And you are the most important person in my life.”

“So shall we ask her to bestow us with long lives?”

“She said one wish, remember.”

“So let us ask that the love between both of us to remain evergreen, never wilting, never fading.”

With that settled, they called out to the forest fairy.

She appeared, like a celestial nymph, pleasantly gliding her way towards them.

“We have decided what we want.” Jane said happily.

 “We wish that the love between us should last forever,” said John.

“Wonderful! Your wish will be granted,” said the forest fairy. “But for me to work on your wish, both of you need to give me an object that is a symbol of your love for each other. It can be anything, that reminds you of the other,” she said.

“What shall we give her?” John asked Jane.

Jane looked at her precious wedding ring, a diamond studded platinum band. John’s gaze followed hers to his own wedding ring which was a gold ring with a bright emerald gleaming.

“Fear not, whatever it is that you wish to give me, will be returned before you leave the forest,” Andromeda said.

With a heavy heart, John and Jane parted with their wedding rings.

“Anything for love,” John said a little later trying to cheer Jane.

They slept fitfully that night. It was quiet all around, not even a screeching cicada or chirping crickets butted in to perturb the pleasant dreams of togetherness that they saw that night. As morning alighted on them, John woke up first.

“The forest fairy was no dream, right?” asked John.

“We will always be in love, dear,” Jane said happily, leaning on John’s arm.

“I can already feel the fairy working her magic,” said John and pulled Jane into a tight hug.

Love blossomed between them in the small moments that the woods offered – like the time when Jane was about to slip as they navigated a particularly tenuous path and John held out his hand for her, or when Jane let John have an extra bite of chocolate from her share or when John carried Jane’s backpack when she could trudge no more.

                                    ~~~~~~~~~

By the end of the week, they had explored most the forest territory.

On the penultimate night of their adventure, they trekked round to the same area where they had met the forest fairy. They decided that should after all have a final rendezvous with her.

“Andromeda! Forest fairy!” called out Jane.

The fairy appeared before them with their precious rings in her hands. As they slipped on their rings, they thanked her for the boon. The forest fairy smiled benignly and disappeared.

                                    ~~~~~~~~~~

On the last day of their sojourn, when they were almost near the exit, they met a group of fellow travellers. There were four people – a couple, and two men - friends of the couple.

John and Jane felt a sense of happy contentment that they had not known before. This particular adventure had opened up their inner eye to a whole new world. Everything from the self effacing touch-me-not plants to the soaring eagles in the sky, the fruit laden green trees to the streams snaking their way along the mud, the croaking of the frogs to the buzzing of bumble bees – had imparted lasting lessons in leading a fuller and grateful life. They realised that they could be just as happy in the woods as in the city, if not more happy. They also realised that ephemeral material comforts were not a sine-qua-non to happiness in a relationship.

The highlight of the adventure, not just adventure, but their life so far, was the momentous encounter with a forest fairy. How many people back in the city would believe them, if they said they had actually met a forest fairy. In flesh and blood.That would be a memorable tale they could regale their grand children and great grand children with.

The spirit of eternal love extended to a spirit of bonhomie towards the newly found travel group too. A feeling of universal love and brotherhood overwhelmed them. The miracle brought about by the forest fairy, they thought.

One of the men asked John and Jane, “Did you by any chance meet a forest fairy around here?”

“Yes, we did,” John said happily.

“Did she ask you for your wedding rings?” he asked again.

“Yes, why?” asked Jane, her heart sinking.

“There is a gang around here that steals people’s belongings. The lady who appears dressed as the forest fairy is part of the gang. We just met another group of campers who told us about them,” he replied.

John and Jane couldn’t believe their ears. They looked down at the rings on their finger. The rings looked so real.

They would now have to get them tested and probably report to the police.

April 16, 2020 10:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.