GRACIE'S CHOICE

Submitted into Contest #95 in response to: Write about someone finally making their own choices.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

The choices we make define us and make us into the people we are. These choices whether they are good or bad will live with us for the rest of our lives.

This is true for me. Last year I had a choice to make, a choice that nearly broke me into pieces. This choice was the first ever life changing decision I ever made, and I believe it was the right choice for me.

Last Year

I come from a family where I don't get to make my own choices. My parents make the choices for me. I always hated that. I never got to do anything I liked, everything I did is for the benefit of my parents.

I always had to do whatever my mother told me to do whether it's to help her in the kitchen or do ballet. I never liked ballet, but I did it because my mother told me to do it.

Don't get me wrong I love my mother, but she's too controlling. Everyday of my life has been scheduled for me. I never got to do the things I love to do, and what I love to do is play softball.

Ever since I was a little girl I loved to play softball. My mother doesn't think a girl should be running around playing in the dirt, and my father is no help. He never stands up for me. He never tells me to go do what I love to do. It's always do as your mother says.

This time I didn't do as my mother says. I did what I want to do and that is play softball. I started playing softball in middle school and all through high school, and now I'm in my last year of hight school and I'm the star short stop. My life has never been better.

I never told my mother about playing softball. She suspects something was wrong with me when I quit ballet. My father knows I play softball. I saw him at one of my games and I think I actually saw him smiling. He promised me not to tell my mother.

Today I got the best news I have ever received. My coach called me into his office and told me I've been recruit by UCLA. I was shocked, but not surprised. My coach told me to think it over and to let him know my answer.

Where am I know? well I'm at the lake thinking about todays news. This is life changing. It's everything I've been working to achieve. My dreams are finally coming true. How do I tell my mother?

My mother is not going to take the news well, but this is my dream. This is everything I've always wanted. This choice is mine to make. I have to stop being scared of my mother and tell her the truth.

"Hey."

I turn around and see my best friend Ruby.

"Hey Ruby."

"What's wrong? you look sad."

"I'm actually happy."

"Tell me."

"I've been recruit by UCLA."

"Really? that's great news."

"Yea. Now I have to tell my mother."

"Gracie, you know I love you and I'm beyond happy for you, but you never been bale to stand up to your mother. This is your dream Gracie. It's time you do what you want to do."

I hug Ruby. I know she is right. I never been able to stand up to my mother. I always been afraid to say anything to my mother that will hurt her. Ruby is right this is my dream and I need to stand up to my mother.

I leave the lake and go to the softball field. Being at the field helps me take my mind off things. It's where I feel free and happy.

I run around the field five times to let off steam. This helps a little, but not enough. I take a couple swings of the bat imagining it's my mother. I know pretty funny, but I'm still scared of telling my mother about UCLA. She is not going to like it in fact she is going to demand that I stay home and go to a local college.

Being in the field didn't help as much as I thought it would. It's only reminding me of what I accomplished, what I love to do and if I don't go to UCLA then everything I've been working for would have been for noting.

"Hi Gracie."

I stop taking swings and my coach staring at me.

"Hi coach."

"I thought you will be celebrating today."

I turn away from my coach and look out at the field.

"Grace tell me what's wrong?"

"I'm beyond excited about going to UCLA and the hard part is I'm afraid of telling my mother."

"Why?"

"My mother is very demanding of me always telling me what I should do and shouldn't do and playing softball is something my mother would never approve of."

"That's the reason I never seen her at our games."

"Yes."

"Gracie this choice is yours to make. Going to UCLA is a big opportunity every one dreams about. Don't let it go to waste. Be strong just like you are on the field."

"Thanks coach."

Coach is right. On the field I'm tough and I have to be that way when I tell my mother I'm going to UCLA. Yea that's right I made my choice. UCLA here I come.

I find myself outside of my home looking inside. I see my parents in the living room. They are both smiling and laughing. I see my mother for the first time not being a hard ass and I hope she will be happy for me.

I finally muster up the courage to go inside. When I enter my home my mother gives me a hug. I'm shocked. I hug her back.

"What was that for?"

"Your father told me the good news."

"Dad?"

"Your coach called me and told me the good news. Me and your mother had a long talk about a lot of things and one of the things we talked about was you and how we never been supportive of you and that changes today."

"I'm so sorry for being demanding to you and not listening to you. I love you Gracie and I aways want what was best for you and if going to UCLA is what's best for you then I'm all in."

"I can't believe this is coming from you. I've been so scared to tell you about UCLA. I'm glad you are okay with this."

"I am and I hear you are the star."

"You heard right. I have a game today."

"We will be cheering you on."

I have dreaded telling my mother about UCLA. Thanks to coach my mother is on board.

Present Day

I made the best decision of my life and one year later I'm loving life at UCLA. Me and my mother talk everyday and she finally understands me. Our relationship has never been better.

May 26, 2021 21:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.