0 comments

LGBTQ+ Romance Sad

At the moment, all he could see was the enchanting smile of the only soul who truly ever owned his heart. Before he could comprehend what was happening, Elliot's teammates were all over him.

They won.

The roar of the crowd in the bleachers was deafening. The moment was too perfect. But all he truly cared about was Lucas.

The way Lucas stood back and admired him with his," I am so proud of you", eyes with a hint of a tear. Life suddenly made sense.

It all started in the summer of 1981. Elliot and Lucas were best friends and made a great team. They would go out for late-night walks, play football, go to concerts, write poetry and do so much more together.

Until one fine day, they ended up making out in the lockers after having a dip in the pool. It all happened in the heat of the moment,

Lucas knew Elliot was involved with someone but he couldn't help it. The way his eyes lit up every time he saw him and the familiar feeling of butterflies in his stomach, it was all too much to take.

Elliot felt the same way too. Why else would he always make sure that they have the same hotel room whenever there is a game amidst their teammates' suspicious looks. He loved Aurora, he truly did. And he knew they were engaged, but it was nowhere compared to what he had with Lucas. He would leave Oscar Wilde's quotes as love notes for him. It was so magical.

"We are so different", Lucas said while they were star-gazing laying on a dew-covered grass.

"Yeah, how so ?"

"We are like the sun and the moon. we were never meant to be together"

" well, Eclipse happens for a reason, Lucas even though it is momentary".

It was beyond special what Elliot and Lucas had. They would fool around in the hotel rooms, their secret little rendezvous. They would run wild in the night when no one else was watching when they could truly be themselves. They would tell the stars about each other.

"You are my best earthly companion Elliot."

They would stay up all night confiding in each others' eyes, cherishing their moments that they had been looking for all their lives laying next to each other. They would read classic romance novels together, kiss under the kitchen lights, sing their much-loved songs while dancing.

All the while trying not to remember the bitter truth lying ahead.

The monsters in their head always knew that they wouldn't end up together. They never said that to each other, but they knew.

Elliot still remembers the night he was up and playing guitar while watching Lucas sleep and bursting into tears over the thought of losing him. He knew what they had was brief. But he didn't want to let go. He was his home. He smelt like love. He was the poem of his life.

They tried to stay apart. But they always found a way back to each other. 

"My life was reckless Lucas but then I met you and everything changed."

Lucas never leaves Elliot's mind even when he had a million things to think about and the way he touched his soul without using his hands. Is this what tragedy feels like?

He made him feel things that he didn't believe in. He was so lost in him but he found what he was looking for all his life. Something he never experienced with Aurora.

They were like 19th-century hopeless romantics having the time of their living in an elegant castle far away from the cruel world.

Lucas knew what he was getting into. He thought it was just gonna be fooling around when he realized he was head over heels in love with Elliot It was terrifying how he made him feel.

But he knew he had to walk away. He envied Aurora. He was the one Elliot went home to. He wanted to be her. He wanted to be the one who walked down the altar with Elliot standing at the end of it. He couldn't stop drowning in the odds of him and Elliot being together.

They ended things on a rainy evening in a cozy cabin. Lucas was the one who prompted it. He knew Elliot was about to have a family and didn't want to ruin it. It was the hardest thing he ever had to do. He walked away from his life after kissing Elliot goodbye with a heavy heart. He had the best days of his life with him and he would forever be grateful to it.

But Lucas never married or fell in anyone with anyone ever again. He really tried but he couldn't. He pushed everyone else because they weren't Elliot. It was always him.

Lucas knew he could have him in his wildest dreams and that he would never wake up from it. His voice would forever echo in the darkest corridors of his heart. He knew he would search for him in every sunrise.

He knew every single song, places, people would remind Lucas of Elliot

40 years passed...

Hopeless times. The city was evacuated. Fear and violence were prominent.

Elliot set off on a determined journey by foot.

His mind was set on a single destination. He wasn't afraid.

Lucas took the sun out of Elliot's life when he left him. And he was gonna get it back even though it was too late.

The asteroid was getting closer. It would be the end of humanity.

The world was in ruins but he didn't care.

He knew Lucas was in town. He was heading to where his heart truly belonged to. He knew death wouldn't matter if he died in the arms of the love of his life.

He knew they weren't meant for each other but they would die together. He will meet him again even though the earth will come to an end shortly. Maybe they can finally have their, " forever ".

May 06, 2021 04:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.