Won't Back Home

Submitted into Contest #98 in response to: Write a story involving a character who cannot return home.... view prompt

1 comment

Drama Historical Fiction Fiction

The night sky was covering the whole town,as the civilians asleep.It was the middle of the night,yet there were still some citizens who hadn't asleep.One of them was Lilac Leilani,a girl with raven black hair and a pair of greyish eyes.She looked as busy as a bee.

She lived in a small apartment in the outskirt of London.Who was she?Where was she from?Or,Where were her parents?She won't answer those questions.She was busy typing something on her typewriter,which she buy it for herself using her own money.

She came here from her hometown with one goal,earning money as much as possible.But,since she came last year,it seems like no progress.The typing stopped.The fingers that used to dance together on the typewriter trembling so hard that Lilac can't move her hand anymore.

"Damn,I hate this."She said,and then grip her own hand,to stop the shaking."Why now?It's just one page left.I don't want to ruin another manuscript."Lilac said again.She rose up from her chair and went to the kitchen to make herself a brew of coffee.Once she done,she settled herself on her bed,in front of her workspace.The workspace looked messy but she didn't care.

"Let's just calm down first."She took a deep breath.

The next morning,Lilac found herself fall asleep on her bed,while holding the cup of coffee."Urgh,my back hurts."she said while trying to get up from the bed.Then,she went to the kitchen,to make a breakfast and she only found an egg,some spices,a nearly finished loaf of bread and two steak-cut meat.

'The groceries really went out the stock,eh? The money I have for groceries is only 10 Pound left.I can't touch the money in the bank cause I don't want to waste money.'monologued Lilac as she cooked her breakfast.The breakfast was scrambled egg with the left bread and she chopped off one of the steaks into bite size and cooked it with some spices that she have left.

'How troublesome.Let me finish my last page of manuscript and I will go to publication house and ask them about my manuscript first before I do my groceries.'She made up her mind and started to eat.After finished her meal,She got up to herself and grabbed her black trench coat.The loosen hair was brushed and tied into a messy low bun and she washed her face.

She grabbed her manuscript and got out from the apartment.And then,when she opened her house door,a man with chestnut hair and wearing a light brown belted coat appeared in her eyes.She jumped back. "Holy cow!What are you doing in front of my house,Louis?"asked Lilac.The man called Louis smiled broadly.

"Hi sweetie!Where are you heading to?Publication house,eh?"said Louis with a soft and not-so-deep voice.Lilac nodded and she wore her black trench coat to cover herself since it's winter.The trench coat that she was wearing was maxi length,which cover the midi length skirt that she was wearing.

"Should I accompany you?"asked Louis.Lilac shook her head."No need.I will be long anyway."replied her."Let me accompany you,please?"asked Louis,in a childish tone.

"Can you just,be at your home?Your mother would be mad."said Lilac,uncomfortably while locking her door house."Why would she mad?I am here,trying to help my girl.But it looks like she doesn't want to be bothered."said Louis with a lustful voice,making Lilac more uncomfortable.

"Louis,I know what you want.But doesn't it too frequent?I don't want to be possible if there is a baby."Said Lilac,while stepping down the stairs."Why not?Having them early would be good,right?"said Louis while following Lilac steps,which making Lilac feel more uncomfortable.

"No.I don't want to do it."said Lilac

"Yes.You are."Louis said,as he grabbed Lilac's thin waist and lift her on his shoulder."Louis,no!Don't do this!"said Lilac angrily.Louis stepped himself and Lilac's thin body upstairs,to Lilac house.Lilac struggled,but it didn't make Louis lose his grip at the raven haired girl's waist.

But it's not long,until Lilac suddenly was dropped and her head hit the floor badly.Her vision started blur,but she can see a guy with golden blond hair and wearing a waistcoat with Louis.Looked like they were fighting.The voice didn't come into her ears,and suddenly her vision darkened.

She tried to open her eyes.The first thing that went into her vision was a brown ceiling.She got herself up and felt really dizzy.She was on a single bed.But it was not in the position that she know.'Wait.Where am I?' her monologue stopped as the door was opened by someone.

The golden blond hair guy came in while bring a tray of food."Oh,you're up?How's your head doing?"He asked.Lilac realized.She looked down her body.Her buttons up and midi length skirt was still in the place they should.The blond head chuckled.

"No need to be scared.I'm not here to hurt you.I am your new neighbour,Justin Shavonne."said that guy.Lilac nodded.

"I didn't properly introduce myself.I'm sorry,the name is Lilac Leilani.I live at the back of the door written 122."said Lilac while brushing her hair.She realized that her head was bandaged as her hand touch it.

"You hurt your head badly that it started to bleeding that time."said Justin and he gave her a bowl.Inside,it was a mushroom soup.Beside the bed,there was a tray and garlic bread inside the try along with a hot chocolate.

"Thank you for the meal,and the rescue."Said Lilac,her cheek blushed in embrassment of Louis lift her on his shoulder.Justin smiled broadly."No need to thank me.I just do what I should do.Can we be friends?"He asked,and he holding out his hand.

Lilac grabbed that hand and they shook the hands.

It's been 6 months since that incident happen.Justin and Lilac were closer,as they always have their dinner at each other places.They also started to share their pasts and secrets.We can say,they were best friends that share their problems.A healthy relationship.

Lilac went down the stairs to check her mailbox.When she checked,there is a mail,or to be exact,telegraf.She looked at the adress,and it's from the countryside.She opened the telegraf,and to her surprise,the content was shocking.She trembled.

Justin,who just walked down from upstairs saw Lilac.He rushed to her."Lilac!What happen to you?"He asked.Lilac's face was pale,like she was just meet ghost."I.....I...."Lilac trembled in fear.

The telegraf in her hands dropped.Her body shook badly that she can't even thinking of moving.Justin helped her to upstairs,into her apartment.

When he settled her down on her bed,he looked at the telegraf.The content was surprising."Lilac,are you alright?"Justin asked.

Lilac's head shook violently.Tears started running down her cheeks as she moved her body and cover herself in blanket.Justin sighed.He went to the bed,and sat down,beside Lilac's trembled body."I....I don't want to go back home.Please,don't send someone to take me back home."Said her,wobbly.

"No,that's fine,Lilac.No need to be afraid,I'm here.You don't have to go back.They just will do you dirty,just like 'that' guy."said Justin while reference Louis as 'that' guy.He could hear sniffles.He smiled bitterly while patting her shoulder,trying to make her feel more calm.

"We should--" A window was broken.Justin Stood up in reflex."Who is there?"A man with dirty blond hair and scarf got into the apartment.He realized what the grey head want.

"Don't you dare touch her."He warned.The grey head chuckled."Eh,you have no place for saying that.She is ours.She WILL back home."He said,and he charged.

Justin shook but he manage to avoid that guy's attack."No,she can't.She will die if she follow you."Said Justin.His beautiful ruby eyes shone in anger."Looks like I need to take care of this punk first."Said the grey head and he charged.

They went into a fight.Lilac peeked their fight through the blanket.'I need to run.If I was caught.I will die.I won't live the same life as a prostitute anymore."she thought.In a swift move,she mad a move.She got up and opened the door.As she step outside,she looked back.Justin was struggling with the grey head.

Justin saw Lilac's doing."Lilac!Run!Don't mind me!"He said.The grey head shrugged and he stabbed Justin's abdomen.And then,he twisted the knife in Justin's abdomen.

"JUSTIN!!!"yelled Lilac.She ran to Justin's body and put his head on her laps."No,please,please.Don't die.I.....I need you...."Said Lilac.She burst into wave of tears."N....no....l...li...lilac..."Said Justin,weakly.lilac's grey eyes met Justin's red eyes.Justin took something from his pocket and took Lilac's left hand with so much effort.

He slipped it into Lilac's ring finger.It was a ring,with a diamond at the top.The grey head tried to pull Lilac but Lilac pushed him."Go!I don't want to go back to that filthy place!No!I CAN'T go back!!!Even if you want me to!!!"She said angrily."Because I.WAS BANNED FROM THAT PLACE AND I DON'T EVEN CARE."sShe said that too.Then,her attention went to Justin's face again.She shook her head violently as Justin smiled bitterly.

"I will.....take.....Lilac.....Leilani.....As..My...wife...and...took.........

care.....of......her.....forever...."Said Justin,which cause more blood spilling from his wound.Lilac sniffled as she said,"I....I will take Justin Shavonne as my husband!So please!Don't die,Justin Shavonne!I will....I will take care of you forever!"shouted Lilac.

She touched his face,"Please....don't die...."She said that,again."It's.....It's already my time.....my wife......took care of yourself,okay?Don't...made me feel worried up there....."Said Justin as Lilac kissed his lips softly.

With that,The vow was already terminated by the kiss.Justin tried so hard to smile,before he closed his eyes.Another wave of tears burst out from Lilac's eyes."Justin?Justin?!No!Justin!Please!Don't die!"She shouted again,mourning at her new husband death.

The grey head looked at Lilac with blank eyes."So,you are a widow now.What an unlucky b*tch."he said.And then,he left Lilac alone in the apertment that full of Justin's blood.

"Justin....please...."

Just like that,she,Lilac Leilani was a widow.And she don't care about her status anymore.She won't forget her husband,Justin Shavonne for the rest of her life.

June 12, 2021 03:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Unknown User
21:24 Jun 23, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.