Homesick

Submitted into Contest #7 in response to: Write a story about a person longing for family.... view prompt

0 comments

General

“Are you moping again?” Andrea called from the hallway. Louise heard her shuffle past the couch but didn’t turn over to look at her roommate. A bag of chips crinkled in the background. Louise kept clicking the remote to scroll through the list of shows. Her arm was starting to fall asleep but she didn’t have the heart to move.


“Here, scoot over.” Andrea nudged at her feet. Begrudgingly, Louise curled up into a ball to accommodate her. “What’s wrong?”


“I miss home.” Louise felt like a child admitting it for the thousandth time. She was barely a third of the way into the semester. She remembered feeling excited and thrilled to be stepping out into the real world for her first semester of college. However, college life wasn’t what she had imagined. The city seemed closed off and foreign after growing up in the country. People hustled about their day. Her homework load combined with a part-time job left her exhausted and overwhelmed. Her thoughts drifted back to the small town she left, to her dorky father and mother, to her goofy younger brother, and to her sweet dog Marty. 


“I know.” Andrea was silent. Normally she would list a wide array of ideas for Louise to take her mind off of it, but for once Andrea just sat quietly. 


“I have an idea,” Andrea stated. “I see that look – just hear me out. How far away are they?”


“They’re six hours away.” Louise sighed. 


“Girl, please – mine are six states away! I know what we’re doing. Get up!” Andrea sprung off the couch, beginning to pace. “So it’s eleven in the morning now – you’re off tomorrow, yeah? Call your folks up and tell them we’re coming.”

“Wait, what? We?”


“You’ve been talking about them constantly. You’re all mopey and I ain’t having it anymore.”


“I haven’t been that bad.” Louise argued back, “I didn’t even say anything. You’re the one who asked me!”


“Get up! Go pack a change of clothes and call them up. We’ll just make a road trip out of it.” Andrea waved her hand to dismiss her. 


“But we both have tests on Monday.”


“So study on Sunday. Get up already! I’m gonna go pack a bag and some snacks.” Andrea turned and walked off to her bedroom. 


Louise sat up as a new bolt of energy ran through her. She picked herself off the couch and glanced around for her phone.


“Well, wait before you start packing. I need to make sure it’s okay if we come over.” She yelled to her roommate. She received no reply. Shaking her head, she dialed and waited.


“Hello?” Her father answered after a couple of rings. “Is everything okay, Louise? I’m at work right now.”


“Hey, dad. Yeah, everything’s fine. I just wanted to know if me and my roommate could come down there and stay the night. I kind of miss everyone.”


“Well, uh, sure. I don’t see why not. What time are you thinking?”

“Probably five-thirty or something like that.”



“Yeah, come on down. You said your roommate’s coming? Just let your mother know.”

“Alright. Thanks, dad.”



“Love you, sweety. Drive safe.”


“I will. Bye.”


Louise wasted no time in packing a bag. She grabbed a couple of clothes and toiletries and then sped out to the living room. Meanwhile, Andrea was in the kitchen stuffing chips and sodas in a bag. 


Minutes later, they were on the road. Andrea had claimed control of the radio since it was her idea. Louise didn’t argue but cringed a little at the loud electronica flowing out of the speakers. Traffic was light and they were soon merging onto the interstate highway. 


After a while, the playlist began to repeat itself and Andrea turned the music down. 


“You know, this is really a good idea,” Andrea said, looking especially pleased with herself.


“There you go, tooting your own horn again.” Louise bantered with a smile.


“No, for real. This is a great idea. You keep going on and on about them, so it’ll be interesting to actually meet them. Plus, we’re going on a Friday so your brother won’t be stuck in school.”


“Yeah. They’re all kind of weird though.”


“Whose family isn’t?” Andrea countered. 


“My dad unironically wears Crocs. He thinks they’re cool.”


“Does he really?” Andrea snorted with laughter.


“My little brother makes castles in video games and makes you walk around in them as a birthday present. And my mom is always doing these do-it-yourself projects but they never really come out right.” Louise laughed, “But she thinks they’re great and none of us have the heart to tell her.”


“They sound great.” Andrea said, “My family’s not really that close with each other. Everyone just works a lot and does their own thing. But your family sounds pretty cool – even if they are weird.”


Before Louise could respond, Andrea steered the subject to the scenery on the drive. After a restroom break, Andrea offered to drive. Louise accepted it gratefully. Her limbs were getting stiff and her concentration on the road was waning. More than anything, she was tired of anticipating home. She wanted to arrive already. Her restlessness was magnified when she began to recognize the surroundings again. Soon they were exiting the highway and entering the small town of Granger. Louise shut off her navigation app.


“Left here, then a right.” She instructed. Andrea drove slow through the cozy neighborhood, confirming with Louise before each turn. “It’s that light blue one on your left.”


Her mother’s car was there, but not her father’s. Andrea parked behind it.


“Hey. Thank you for this.” Louise beamed at her roommate. Once more, Andrea dismissed her with a wave and got out of the car.


A lightness came about in Louise’s step from knowing she was home again. She grabbed her bag and skipped up to the door.

“Hey, I’m home.” She yelled out as she entered. Her old yellow lab came limping up to her, tail wagging in full force. 


“How are you, sweet thing?” She rubbed the dog gently. “Aww, you’re getting old, Marty.” 


Marty barked feebly at Andrea a couple times before limping up to her roommate to be pet. 


“Louise!” Her ten-year-old brother charged down the stairs and began spewing questions about college at her. Her mother swooped out from the kitchen for a hug. In the background, she could hear her father’s car pull in the driveway. Overwhelmed with relief, she declared, “I missed everyone and I’m never calling any of you lame again!”

September 14, 2019 04:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.