3 comments

Drama Fiction Friendship

Avery is a quiet man with a gentle sense of humor and an honest heart. He owns the dry-cleaning business in town. People like him. The store was originally his father’s, and Avery took it over when his father passed away. And why not? He has worked there since he was old enough to push a broom. Avery’s father took the time and patience to teach Avery everything there was to know about the dry cleaning business. Everything from the chemicals and how to use them to keeping excellent and accurate books from inventory to sales. Yes, Avery was well-suited to be the owner.

It was here that Avery met his future wife, Cecilia. As a teenager, she would accompany her mother as they dropped off the family’s dry cleaning.  Her mother would give Avery’s father to be cleaned while Cecilia and Avery chatted about school or other events that were taking place around town.

Knowing Avery’s shy disposition, Cecilia would drop hints, hoping he would take the bait, as it were.

“Oh, Avery. Do you think you might be going to the carnival this weekend?”

“I suppose I could because we close at two o’clock on Saturdays. Yeah, I can swing by after work.”

Cecilia smiles. “That would be great! Perhaps I’ll see you there.”

“Better yet,” said Avery with a little nervous quiver. “W-Would it be okay if I came by your house and we went together?” He took the bait.

They dated for a few years as Cecilia attended college. It wasn’t until Avery’s father unexpectedly passed away that they got engaged. Cecilia had studied bookkeeping and was a great asset. After a year, the business continued thriving under Avery’s leadership, so the two got married.

Avery enjoyed working side-by-side with his wife. She was way better at keeping the books up to date than he was, but also, it was just plain fun. They tried several times to have a baby without success. The sad day came when the doctor told them Cecilia would never be able to carry a baby to term.

Avery turned to a sobbing Cecilia. “It would have been wonderful if we could’ve had children, but I love you so much, my darling, that I’m more than happy with it being just you and me.”

They spent the next forty years happily working together. Cecilia came up with several good promotional plans to increase business. Avery bought new equipment to be more efficient in his work. The business grew to the point where they had to hire help. With reliable assistance, the couple could now relax and travel around the states on vacations and see the sights. They couldn’t have been happier.

As the years passed, Cecilia became thoughtful of their retirement and started buying investments for when the time to retire came. They would talk and plan everything they would see and do as they ate their evening meals.

Avery noticed that Cecilia was starting to wipe her right eye a lot.

“Are you alright, Dear? Do you need to see an eye doctor? After squinting at all those numbers for all these years, it might be time for glasses.”  Cecilia laughed at Avery’s light-hearted concern. “I think it might just be an allergy of some sort. I’m sure ‘llI feel better soon.” But after a month, Avery saw that Celeilia wasn’t any better but was actually quite a bit worse.   He insisted that she make an appointment to see the doctor.

The doctor ordered some tests, the results of which were not good. Cecilia had an inoperable tumor behind her right eye, and the cancer was spreading.

Out of love for his wife, Avery sold the business to Tom, who had started working for them fifteen years ago and was very apt in running the store. Now, Avery could devote his time to caring for Cecilia and being with her. When Cecilia passed, Avery was a shattered man—no family, children, or wife. For the first time in his life, he was all alone.

                                                             …

Fred Aldridge moved into town and opened his barber shop.  Avery was one of Fred’s very first customers. Avery said he needed a trim and wanted to wish Fred good luck. Fred took to Avery right away.

They appreciated and enjoyed each other’s personalities.  Fred was witty, clever, and quick with a one-liner. Avery was reserved and honest but had a good sense of humor. They attended the same church and would meet at its potluck meals and fundraisers. They would talk about who was running for some town office, who got married to whom, or who was divorcing whom. If people think only women gossip, they should sit in a barbershop sometimes.

 They liked the same pro baseball and football teams and would listen to the games on Fred’s radio in the barbershop. At Christmas, Fred did what he called the exchanging of work gifts. Fred would give Avery a free haircut while Avery would dry clean Fred’s smocks and haircloths in exchange.

At times, Cecilia would accompany Avery to the barbershop. She once told Fred how she liked to have him cut Avery’s hair, and Avery said, “It’s alright, Cecilia, Fred knows how I like it.”

Fred told Avery not to do that, “After all, she just wants her man to look nice. I once heard that the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is two weeks!” They all laughed.

It saddens Fred to see Avery these days.  Instead of getting his hair cut every two weeks, it’s more like once a month, sometimes a month and a half.  He’ll shuffle into the shop without saying a word and sit quietly.  His hair will be long, and more often than not, he’ll need a shave. His grey sweatshirt that he always wears these days is quite dirty and stained. If someone greets him, he’ll acknowledge them, but that’s all.

It’s Friday night at the barbershop and near closing time. The little bell above the door jingles as Fred looks up and sees Avery shuffle in. Avert says nothing as he walks mechanically to the chair in the waiting area.

Fred slowly shakes his head. “Be with you in a minute, Avery!” he says brightly.  Fred finishes the five-year-old boy and tells him to get a lollipop from the bowl under the counter. The lollipops are Dum Dums, and the one the little boy has chosen has question marks all over its wrapper. Fred excitedly exclaims to the child, “Look! You’ve got a mystery pop! That means you don’t know what it will be. I hope it’s pineapple.  Those are my favorites.” The boy asks his mother if he can have it now, and she says yes. As his mother pays for the haircut, the boy unwraps his pop and holds it up to Fred. “Look, Mr. Barber, it’s pineapple!” 

“That’s great!” Fred exclaims, thanks the child’s mother, and watches the couple leave.

Turning to Avery, he notices that Avery hasn’t moved. He’s still sitting there, his hands folded, staring at the floor. Fred recalls reading that older gentlemen living alone sometimes only have physical contact with another human being when they get a haircut. “How very sad.” he thought at the time.

Dusting off his barber chair with his haircloth, he calls, “You’re up, Avery.” As Avery approaches, Fred can’t help but notice how round-shouldered he is. Avery also displays circles under his eyes, and his skin is ashen. Fred thinks that Avery has lost a lot of weight. 

Fred asks Avery if he’s having the “usual,” to which Avery barely nods. When Fred finishes the haircut, he fills the neck duster with talcum powder and brushes away the lost hair from Avery’s neck, ears, and face. As Avery rises from the chair, Fred places his hands on Avery’s shoulders.

“Avery, you and I have been friends practically since the first day you walked into my barbershop. And I just want to tell you how much it pains me to see you suffering like this. It’s been six months since dear Cecilia passed, and I’ve watched you slowly deteriorate ever since. I fear for your health, Avery, so if there’s anything I can do to help, please let me know.  I want to be that person if you need to talk or to have someone to listen.

Without looking up, Avery asks, “You want to help? Then explain why God took my sweet Cecilia from me.”

Fred tightens his lips, and he shakes his head slowly. Then, taking a deep breath, he begins. “God didn’t take Cecilia from you, Avery. Life did. I lost my first child to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. That’s what happens in life. Some die while still infants, others as children drowning in swimming pools. Teenagers in car accidents and young men in wars. And millions and millions of people from cancers or other deadly diseases. That’s mans lot in life, to live and die. And the ones left behind suffer that loss terribly.  I’m saying you don’t have to suffer alone, Avery. I’m here if you need me.”

With watery eyes, Avery looks at Fred’s reflection in the mirror and nods slowly. He then rises, puts his money on the counter, and heads for the door to leave. At the last minute, he asks over his shoulder, “Would it be alright if I sit with you and your family this Sunday at church?”

Fred smiles, “Of course it would, Avery. We’ll be glad to have you.”

After Avery leaves, Fred walks to the door and flips the sign from open to closed. Watching Avery cross the street, Fred can’t help but think that Avery looks a little straighter now, like a heavy burden has been lifted from his shoulders. Fred smiles and thinks, “See you Sunday, my friend.”

August 31, 2023 05:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Ralph Aldrich
04:42 Sep 01, 2023

Thanks to you both.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
13:09 Aug 31, 2023

Reminds us to reach out to someone grieving.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jonathan Page
07:39 Aug 31, 2023

Very touching story! That was a very heartfelt tale of Avery's grief and Fred's compassion. Very engaging and well paced and a tender story all around. I really enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.