51 comments

Drama Fiction Contemporary

This story contains sensitive content

Warning: Allusions to sex


“Come sit, Liz.”


“Damn it! She already knows my name,” I thought to myself as a shudder ran down my spine, a slow-moving glacier that froze my nerves little by little and all at once at the same time.


I stared at the woman --- she who’d sunk a sizable amount of her savings for a last minute plane ticket and a hurried hotel reservation, she who’d spent ten and a half hours up in the air and navigated the maze of Heathrow for the first time just to see and have a word with me --- at the opposite end of this corner booth in a Brixton restaurant. She was a petite, spritely thing, dwarfed even more so by the loose white tunic-style maxi dress she had on. Peeks of grey showed in her tight blonde bun that showed off her delicate features. Tiny red veins, most probably traced by her tear glands just before her arrival at the restaurant, radiated from her cocoa-coloured irises.


The pixie-esque foreigner certainly didn’t look like a woman who could render someone who made a living out of words, like me, speechless, and yet, there I was. All I could do was to follow her command pronounced with a distinctive Texas twang.


“I’m Debra, by the way,” she said, extending an arm towards my frightened self. She slightly bit her lip before continuing with a query. “Did you know…?”


“No, I didn’t,” I replied, shaking my head.


“But of course.”


Debra then put her elbow on the table and cupped her chin with her hand. Her brown eyes scanned my fox-like face intently, as if her mind was trying to process every single feature, before I saw a flash of defeat in them.


“Well, you’re even more beautiful than I imagined, you know. Auburn waves, large cornflower blue eyes, tall, lithe figure --- but of course, you’re perfect,” she declared to me, sighing so deeply, it sounded like a cry.


“I assure you, Debra, I’m not,” I replied. “You know very well that I…well…”


Just like that, a silence crept up between us two, like a boa constrictor that slithered its way around the Amazon, pouncing on its prey and strangling it until all of the air was robbed from the unsuspecting creature. If I didn’t say anything, I knew it would consume me whole.


“Listen, Debra. I’m…”


“Good evening, ladies! What would you be having today?”


We both turned our eyes on the clueless server with the bright smile staring at us. As if on autopilot, I grabbed the menu and scanned to see if my usual meal combination was available.


“May I have the smoked salmon and crème fraîche bucatini, as well as a glass of Riesling?”


“Ah, it figures,” I heard my dinner companion mutter to herself. “Of course, she’d order something fancy, just like…”


“And for you, Madame?”


Debra then thoughtfully scanned through the menu before smiling, as her eyes seemed to stop at an item.


“You know what? It’s my first time in Britain, and I don’t know if I’ll ever be back. Why don’t I get a steak and mushroom pie,” she replied, her gaze now burning into me. “I mean, I’ve been curious for a while now about what it is about English meat pies that make the expats go crazy.”


I winced internally as she thanked the server and sent him away. With the chirpy restaurant employee gone, the serpentine quiet once again crawled in the space between Debra and me and choked out all the air in the restaurant.


“I guess I should ask you...,” Debra stated, the chill in her Texas drawl almost covering up the trembling in her voice.


“Fire away,” I answered, attempting to mask the thrashing of my own heart.


I noticed Debra’s chocolate brown eyes hone in on the press badge from The Guardian tucked into the pocket of my cherry red Yves Saint-Laurent handbag.


“So, you’re a journalist, if I remember correctly,” asked Debra, a tight-lipped smile forming on her face. “Is that how you met Ed?”


I gulped as I tried to wring my brain for an answer. I knew I was normally so glib; my friends called me Lizzie Parrot, after all. However, as Debra’s searching eyes trained in on me, I felt all of my linguistic prowess melt away like snow on the first day of spring.


“Yes, that’s exactly right. That’s how we…you know..,” I managed to string together.


As I sat across the woman who was never supposed to fly to London, thoughts of my first encounter with Edwin Hunt flooded my mind.”


Ed and I met when we were covering a new transport bill being passed in Parliament. After all the fiery discourse and verbal repartees, I stood behind the microphone the House of Commons had set up for us reporters during question time. As I turned away to walk back to my seat, I noted a flash of brilliant aquamarine flood my eyes….and that it was connected to a face --- the chiseled, unlined, astonishingly handsome face of the Los Angeles Times’ London correspondent.


“Who…is…,” my neurons fired into my brain, spraying fragments of colour into my eyes like fireworks.


As I walked back to the chair I had occupied just five minutes before, I felt my eyes glued to the Atlantic Ocean blue of Ed’s own. When Ed took his turn posing his query, the lilt in his Southern California accent sounded to me like the greatest symphony. I practically stumbled into my seat when I finally reached it, my eyes trained in on the mesmerising American with the scintillating blue eyes.


“Right, be professional, Liz,” I remember commanding myself, a little bite in my inner voice. “It’s not like he will…”


“Two follow-up questions: firstly, is this seat taken?”


I looked up, and there they were: Ed’s aquamarine eyes twinkling with desire and love…well, I thought it was…


“No, it’s not,” I replied, a wry smile on my face . “You may take the seat beside me if you’d like. Very much so.”


“Perfect….just like you,” he told me, a wide, cheeky grin that melted my heart that moment on his face. “And for the second question, well…”


“Well, what?”


“Well,” he deftly said, his brilliant blue eyes on my cornflower ones. “Are you taken? God, you’re so beautiful.”


That was that, then. That journalistic coverage at Parliament quickly transformed into three years of Ed and me uncovered in bed crying each other’s names and tumbling into passion and tenderness, our undulating bodies entangled like twigs in the nest I thought we’d built together, and me drowning in the pools on the top half of his face. It certainly felt like bliss.


Then again, of course, it did. Ignorance can sometimes create a space where not even words can conquer the exaltation. How was I to know that as I plunged further and further into those oceanic eyes that on the other side of the Atlantic, Ed had…?


Once again, face-to-face with the personification of the truth that came to see me from America, I felt a sense of urgency. I did not want the boa to consume me again.


“Debra, listen, I’m very s…”


“Goodness me, he’s right. There really is something special about you.”


“I beg your pardon?”


“You’re the first one I didn’t find out about from rumours, you know. Ed actually spoke about you to me when he went back to the States for a vacation two weeks ago. Of course, when he did, he handed me a Manila folder with papers…specific papers,” Debra stated softly, gently, almost whisper-like. From the other side of the booth, I saw her cocoa eyes well up with fresh tears. She bit her upper lip as she stared intently at my confused face.


“There’s something I want you to have,” she announced, reaching into her large black handbag. She then procured a small green velvet box and placed it on the table.


“Open it, Liz.”


With trembling hands, I lifted the lid and gasped as I stared at a platinum ring with a one-carat cushion cut diamond in the middle. Five pave stones on each side flanked the centre gem. On the band, the date 21 February 2005 was inscribed.


“Oh, Debra,” I sputtered out, my voice trembling. “Is this your…?”


“It’s yours now. You know, I’ve never seen him smile as brightly as when he told me about his 'Pretty Parrot’. I actually saw a spark in his eyes.”


“Debra…”


“I still want him to be happy, so….,” she continued. A single teardrop rolled down her plump cheek. “Don’t worry. Actually, when I first called you up, everything had already been signed and filed.”


I stared at the woman across me who'd flown all the way from America as I recalled that midnight phone call that made me dash to the loo and vomit on the toilet. I remembered how as Debra’s Texas drawl came through the wires, I had realised that both of us had been victims of Ed’s words --- me, of “Divorcé. Although, my ex is still hung up about me.” She, of “Sorry, the paper won’t allow foreign correspondents' partners to join us in the cities we're assigned in.” As the electric signals that carried our enlightening conversation surged through the undersea cables, so did a kinship. We were two women from opposite ends of the Atlantic bound by one truth we both discovered amidst a wall of lies: that yes, words can build, but it can also destroy and blindside.


After that telephone conversation, it was easy for me to make a decision. But of course. There would be no more boa constrictors, neither the silence, nor me, thrust upon the role of hissing, venomous slitherer.


“I packed my bags as soon as your call ended, just so you know."


Debra looked into my cornflower eyes as a smile, the very first wide one I’d seen since first arriving at the restaurant, crept across her delicate face.


“I can’t say I didn’t know that you would,” she replied, chuckling. “Either way, thanks for letting me have a word with you.”

***********

To: Mr. and Mrs. Henry and Debra Carson


Together with our families,


We,

Michael Aaron Townsend

and

Elizabeth Sarah Francis,


Request the pleasure of your company as we join together in matrimony.


Saturday, 20 October 2029| Shangri-la Hotel at the Shard



February 18, 2024 15:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

51 comments

Karen Hope
04:12 Feb 29, 2024

Great storytelling! You drew us in right away and then slowly let the story unfold. Love the dialogue - and the words not said between the two women.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
04:35 Feb 29, 2024

Thank you so much, Karen. I'm happy that the story was compelling for you. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Uncle Spot
02:47 Feb 29, 2024

Very nice almost sweet story with a tangy aftertaste. And 'eyes' stole the show. Well done.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:07 Feb 29, 2024

Thank you so much ! Like I said n previous comments, I wanted the story to centre around the conversation. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Belladona Vulpa
16:08 Feb 27, 2024

Your storytelling really pulled me into the emotional rollercoaster of Liz's journey. The vivid descriptions and the nuanced exploration of relationships felt authentic and relatable. I appreciate the way you tackled the complexities of love, betrayal, and self-discovery. Keep weaving those compelling narratives – looking forward to reading more stories, fantastic work!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:11 Feb 27, 2024

Awww, thank you, Belladona ! I'm happy you were able to feel all the emotion Liz (and Debra) went through. When I saw the prompt, I thought I'd do something where most of the story is the conversation. I'm glad I was able to pull it off. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Belladona Vulpa
16:17 Feb 27, 2024

I find writing such a story (of mostly dialogue) is a huge challenge for me, as I tend to get stuck into the character's thoughts a bit. So, I definitely respect when I see a story that it's done seamlessly, the work behind it. Nicely done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anoush Hovnanian
21:30 Feb 26, 2024

Nicely done! Congratulations! Very well written, from the nostalgic flashback to the character descriptions. I hope you win!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:05 Feb 26, 2024

Thank you so much, Anoush ! I'm happy you liked the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Robert Egan
22:40 Feb 25, 2024

Artfully done, Stella! I liked how you started in the midst of the action. There was a great progression from tension to compassion, and Debra's ring was a powerful gesture. I was a little slow on the uptake with the ending, but I think it works perfectly. The remembered magnetism/instant chemistry between Ed and Liz was quite well-written, and I could "see" their first meeting as you wrote it.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:33 Feb 25, 2024

Oh my ! Thank you so much, Robert. I'm glad the story felt real for you. I thought I should just focus on the conversation to really make it intense. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kerriann Murray
19:43 Feb 25, 2024

Such great story-telling! Loved this one, Stella.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:29 Feb 25, 2024

So happy you liked it, Kerriann ! Thank you !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
15:40 Feb 25, 2024

Painfully poignant. Great dialogue between the two women. I wasn’t expecting the twist at the end. Well done.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:42 Feb 25, 2024

Thank you so much, Helen ! I really wanted to highlight that both women were hurt by Ed's lies. Glad you liked it!

Reply

Helen A Smith
15:44 Feb 25, 2024

That definitely came across.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Edd Baker
20:36 Feb 23, 2024

Great piece, Stella! Amazing sense of tension and intrigue, mostly through dialogue alone. Exceptionally paced as well. Really fun read.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:17 Feb 23, 2024

Thank you so much, Edd ! I'm happy you liked it ! Glad I was able to pull off bringing in tension.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Levi Vela
19:29 Feb 22, 2024

Wow! This was such an intriguing read. Your ability to tell a story through almost nothing but dialogue is very impressive.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:12 Feb 22, 2024

Thank you so much, Levi ! Since the prompt was about dialogue, I thought I'd lean into it. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claire Trbovic
22:35 Feb 21, 2024

Oh my goodness this was a good one! So many great nuggets in this Stella, I tried to copy all the ones I liked but my comment would have gotten too out of hand, I think my whittled down favourite is: ‘undulating bodies entangled like twigs in the nest I thought we’d built together’ Honestly beautiful and painful all in one, take a bow!! ♥️

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:10 Feb 21, 2024

Oh my ! Thank you so much, Claire ! It means so much, especially coming from one of my favourite authors on this site. I loved writing that line. I thought I needed to amp up the imagery given the story doesn't outright say what Debra and Liz are meeting about. I'm so happy you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
15:06 Feb 21, 2024

Hi Stella, This reminds me of a team up to wack the ex-boyfriend/husband by two women who have something in common, him. Love the subtext of the mutual respect. Especially liked the nuggets: - 'serpentine quiet once again crawled in the space' - 'That was that, then.' - 'Ignorance can sometimes create a space where not even words can conquer the exaltation.' Great job on the prompt. Held my interest to the end.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:36 Feb 21, 2024

Thank you so much, Jack. HAHAHAHAHA ! I think both of them are believers of "The best revenge is a life well-lived." so no violence. Hahaha! Either way, I'm glad you enjoyed the story and it was engaging for you. I very much enjoyed writing those lines. Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
09:38 Feb 21, 2024

Hi Stella, Great storytelling. It kept me reading whilst trying to work out what was going on! As a Londoner, I always love reading a story where I know the location. A well-presented plot kept me guessing why these two women were meeting. Thanks for writing.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
10:29 Feb 21, 2024

Thank you so much, Stevie ! I'm glad I kept you guessing. Yeah, I like to jump around world cities for my settings. I suppose London is an easy pick for me because I also happen to be a fan of rail Youtube. Hahaha ! I'm happy you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:40 Feb 20, 2024

There's some excellent mystery here, as we drag out the tension. The women know exactly what they're talking about, and the poor reader must chase the story to find out :) But we want to chase it, because it's a compelling question. It's definitely an interesting dynamic, because it's clear the women don't actually hate each other - particularly, Debra doesn't hate. They might hate the situation, but they also realize they have more in common than not, especially given where the story ends. Excellent take on the prompt, I think. Kept me ...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:14 Feb 20, 2024

Yes, precisely that, Michal. To be honest, when I posted this, I was worried that the fact that Debra doesn't hate Liz wouldn't come through. It's a bit of a balancing act to make what thé subject of their conversation hinted at but not blatantly told. Glad I was able to do it. So happy you liked it. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L J
19:15 Feb 20, 2024

Stella, that was great! The tension was good and increased well. This prompt was almost impossible. You did very well and it was believable; awkward, intense but , in the end, civilized. Well done Thank you for taking time to read mine: comments are always appreciated.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:23 Feb 20, 2024

Thank you so much ! I'm so happy the tension came through. As for reading your brilliant work, you're very welcome !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristina Aziz
19:36 Feb 19, 2024

The way you established the sensory tension in the beginning is amazing and definitely hooked me for the rest of the story. Well done on a challenging prompt!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:09 Feb 19, 2024

Hi, Kristina ! Thank you so much. I definitely wanted to show the tension between Debra and Liz. Like I told Tom in the comments, I suppose Joan Baez's "Diamonds and Rust" playing whilst I was writing this put me in the mood to do that. Hahaha ! Frankly, I find the "silent retreat" one the challenging one. Then again, it's because I don't think I can be dragged to one. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:18 Feb 19, 2024

The dialogue was spot-on, showing the complex emotions and dynamics between Liz and Debra in a way that felt genuine and natural. Plus, the unexpected twist at the end 👏 Great job!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:05 Feb 19, 2024

Thank you so much, Brianna. I'm glad you enjoyed the dialogue. Thank you so much for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
04:56 Feb 19, 2024

Ed, the crafty devil! The reveal in the end was really well delivered but the magic of this was in the first three quarters. A tense exchange spiced by the element of mystery. It was also given a another unique dimension by the ambiguous levels of respect they gave each other at the table, particularly Debra's attitude towards Liz. Really expertly crafted story. I can see how a reader may want a little more juice on Ed at the end, but I think withholding that gives room for the established long-term bond between the two MC's to land more ...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
05:27 Feb 19, 2024

Hey, Tom! Yes, Ed, you dirty scoundrel. I'm very happy the reveal was well-executed. Yes, I'm also glad that the mysterious air and tension I wanted to give came through. (Perhaps, writing this story with the haunting guitar riff of Joan Baez's "Diamonds and Rust", which I've been listening to since Friday, helped. Hahahaha!). Like I said in other comments, I wanted what was going on between Ed, Debra, and Liz to be obvious but without outright saying it. I'm glad you also picked up on the implication of not saying anything about Ed in the...

Reply

Tom Skye
05:32 Feb 19, 2024

I know that song quite well. My dad used to play it a lot. Don't think I know much else by her though. I will read again tomorrow with it playing in the background 😂

Reply

Alexis Araneta
05:47 Feb 19, 2024

She's brilliant ! Even her covers of others' songs, she does a lovely job injecting her style in. She knows how to choose which songs to do a version of too. (She even covered a song by one of my favourite French artists, Maxime Le Forestier, called 'Parachutiste' -- a song that has given me an idea for a story, should it come up here. In English, don't worry. Hahaha !). 😄

Reply

Tom Skye
05:54 Feb 19, 2024

A parachutist accidentally lands in a silent retreat? :) I know the 'Sad eyed lady of the lowlands' cover. The original is one of my favourite songs

Reply

Alexis Araneta
05:57 Feb 19, 2024

HAHAHA ! The song is much more brutal and political (It's Maxime and Joan, after all.) than that. Beautiful song, that one!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
01:19 Feb 19, 2024

Wow. You picked what I think is the hardest prompt and nailed it. Great job, Stella.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:39 Feb 19, 2024

Oh wow, thank you ! Actually, the "hardest prompt" title is relative. I don't know what I'd do with the silent retreat one. Hahaha ! Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
23:19 Feb 18, 2024

Right. Got it. I think. Ed likes to play, a lot. Debra and Liz become good buddies - after all Ed keeps going for the same type. But what happened to Ed? A. He found his next "victim". Or B. Debra did him in. Or C.? Great job, Stella.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:26 Feb 18, 2024

Yes ! You deciphered it ! Yay ! As for what happened to Ed, I'll leave it up for readers to speculate. Hahaha! At least both women found true loves. So happy you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Page
22:16 Feb 18, 2024

Great story, Stella! Now that's a winner in my book. Very compact and fast-moving plot. I think you've got some explaining to do on the last bit, how Edward's two lovers end up getting so close. Every line of dialogue was super crisp and on key. This was a great reveal: "I remembered how as Debra’s Texas drawl came through the wires, I had realised that both of us had been victims of Ed’s words --- me, of “Divorcé. Although, there’s an ex hung up about me.” She, of “Sorry the paper won’t allow partners to join correspondents in the cities ...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:22 Feb 18, 2024

Thank you so much, Jonathan ! It means so much to me, especially coming from a writer on this platform whose stories I love. Since this week is about allusions and implications, I wanted to do it all throughout this story. I kind of wanted readers to put two and two together and get that because the two of them were brought together by Ed lying to them both, they used that as a foundation to build a friendship. But perhaps, I should make it clearer. Again, huge thanks for reading this !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.