3 comments

Creative Nonfiction Drama

 “Did I just hear what I thought I heard?”

“If it’s what I heard, then, yes.”

“They said that within the next six months that I need to have heart surgery or die, correct?”

“Yep, that’s what they said.”

“How is it possible for a doctor to walk into the room, simply state that and walk right back out without waiting to see if it was understood?”

“I don’t know, but that doctor just did.”

“What type of heart surgery?”

“I don’t know. All he said was that you need to have heart surgery within the next six months or you won’t be here any more.”

“This is ludicrous. What the heck kind of bedside manner is that? Drop a bomb like that on someone and not stick around to make sure it’s understood and answer any questions.”

“I agree, that doctor is horrible.”

“The worst. I can tell you right now he won’t be my cardiologist.”

“Definitely not. We’ll shop around for a different one.”

“You make it sound like we’re going to go car shopping or shopping for new shoes or something.”

“Well, I mean, what else do you call it?”

“You’re right.”

“Let’s get you discharged and get you home.”

“The nurse said that they are keeping you here for at least two more days.”

“What? Why?”

“Apparently you’re not stabilized enough to be going home.”

“After what we were just told it doesn’t surprise me that I’m not stable enough to go home.”

“It’s a wonder that you aren’t having another heart attack after what that doctor said.”

“I know, right.”

“Why don’t you try to get some sleep and we’ll see if later we can’t get more information as to what that doctor was talking about.”

“Okay, thanks.”

“Well, look who’s finally awake. Did you have a nice long nap?”

“How long did I sleep? It was still light out when I drifted off and now it’s dark.”

“You slept for almost five hours.”

“Dang, I don’t remember the last time I slept that long.”

“Probably never with your insomnia.”

“Were you able to talk to the nurse and get any further information?”

“She didn’t have any other information other than what the doctor said, but she said if we wanted she would contact the doctor and have him come back and talk with us.”

“I’ll pass on that doctor. If they can get a different cardiologist to come and talk to us that would be great.”

“Let me go see if that is an option.”

“You don’t have to go. I’ll press the nurses button and ask when the nurse comes in here.”

“Really, I don’t mind, I need to stretch my legs anyways.”

“Have you eaten?”

“No, I haven’t been hungry.”

“Go check with the nurse about another doctor coming in and then, please, go get yourself something to eat. We don’t need you passing out from not eating.”

“I’ll eat when I’m ready to. Don’t worry about me. You are the one that we need to worry about now.”

“We don’t need you in a bed here in the hospital on a different floor. Please, get yourself something to eat. If you don’t take care of yourself you’re not going to be good for anyone, including yourself.”

“Fine, I’ll get something to eat after I talk with the nurse.”

“You better eat. Bring me the receipt from what you ate so that I know that you did eat something. I don’t need to be worrying about you, too, right now.”

“Are you serious? You want me to bring the receipt?”

“Yes, I’m serious. Remember, I know you. You’ll come back here in thirty minutes or so telling me you ate when you really didn’t.”

“Oh, for crying out loud, you’re being ridiculous.”

“No, I’m not. I know you. You’re just like me.”

“Fine. I’ll be back in a little while.”

“Here’s the receipt. The nurse said that they can’t get another cardiologist in to see you as the other one was assigned to you.”

“No way!”

“Calm down. You don’t need to be having another heart attack.”

“What the heck kind of place is this that you can’t fire one doctor and get another one to come in, look at your file and take it from there?”

“Please, calm down.”

“This is absolute utter...”

“Are you okay?”

“NO!”

“Please, don’t yell at me. It’s not my fault. I’m trying the best I can right now.”

“I’m sorry. This is all so infuriating.”

“Why did you buzz the nurse?”

“Cuz I’m going to get a different doctor. They don’t have the right to tell us that we can’t have a different doctor. That’s like saying you can’t have a different pair of shoes or car or whatever.”

“All right, suit yourself, but, please, calm down. Your blood pressure is rising along with your heart rate.”

“Hi, how may I help you?”

“Yes, I would like to have another cardiologist come in to see me. I do not want that other one, he’s fired. If you or no one else is willing to get me another cardiologist in here then I’ll do it myself.”

“Ma’am, like I’ve already explained--”

“No. There are other cardiologists here. Would you like it if something was wrong with you and you had to be stuck with a doctor that doesn’t care?”

“Ma’am, the doctor does care--”

“No, that doctor does not care. If he cared he would have stuck around to make sure we understood, answered our questions, just everything. Laying something like that on someone and then just walking out of the room does not say ‘I care’.”

“Ma’am, you need to calm down. My hands are tied in this situation. I cannot simply call any other cardiologist and have them come in here. I would be fired.”

“Fine. I’ll find another one myself then and have them come in.”

“That’s entirely up to you. I can’t stop you from doing that.”

“You shouldn’t have acted that way with the nurse. She’s only doing her job to the best of her ability.”

“All she had to simply say was that she would lose her job if she did what I requested. Everything else would have been avoided.”

“I’ll be back in a minute or two.”

“Where did you go?”

“I went and got this for you.”

“Did you ask if I was allowed to have ice cream?”

“What they don’t know won’t hurt them. I’m sure a little won’t hurt you. Heck, it’s on your menu when you order from the cafeteria. Here’s a spoon for you and one for me.”

“You got my favorite. Thanks.”

“Of course I got your favorite.”

“I love you.”

“You only love me cuz I brought you ice cream.”

February 17, 2023 21:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Charlie Murphy
20:22 Feb 25, 2023

Great tension throughout. The situation with the doctor not waiting for the patient to ask questions sounds very believable.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sarah Martyn
16:40 Feb 25, 2023

I like the tension in this, with the medical news with the lightheartedness at the end with the ice cream. It felt very "I just found out and am going to need to cope" and it makes me want more of this story.

Reply

Sandy Paty
18:06 Feb 25, 2023

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.