4 comments

General

Leola awoke from her sleep after only managing a few hours. In another half hour, her newborn son would need to be feed. But first, she slipped out of bed and grabbed her vlog camera. Making sure not to wake her husband or her baby, she tiptoed out of the room and walked into her living room.

         She set up the camera on her tripod and set it to recording.

         She smiled. “Hey guys, It’s Sierra. It’s currently,” she checked the time on her watch, “4:15. And I though today would be a good day to film a day in the life. So, my day now since I have a newborn starts really early. I have already done a few feedings through the night and will be feeding my son, Jakob in a few minutes. So, I will just do that and then I will get back to you.”

         She paused the camera and detached it from her tripod just as her son started crying for his next meal. She hurried back to her bedroom and picked her son up from his cradle and feed him. Then she changed his diaper. After that, she set up her camera and showed herself putting her son back to sleep.

         Once she was done, she left the room and walked to the kitchen. She set her camera up on the table and spoke again.

         “So, after I put my son back to sleep, it is usually about 5:00 and I beginning preparing breakfast for my husband and I. He leaves for work early so I make sure that he has something good to eat before he leaves. Today I think I will make us both omelets since I have some onions and peppers that I want to use.”

         She grabbed the camera again and filmed herself pulling out all the ingredients. And then she turned the camera and showed herself cutting everything up and preparing the omelets. She would time-lapse this portion when editing. After she finished making them, she took a picture and then filming a small bit showing the omelets.

         Then she turned the camera off so she could eat with her husband. After he had left for work and she had feed her son once again, she pulled out the camera again.

         “I think I will take Jakob on a walk in a few minutes so I am going to get him ready.” She picked up her son and the camera and walked back to her bedroom. Once there, she laid out an outfit for him and one for herself.

         She went on a walk with her son in the stroller and her camera in her hands. Once she got back, she changed her son again and put him down for his nap. Then she pulled out the camera again and briefly laid out what her son’s schedule was.

         After that, she put the camera away and took a small nap on the couch until she was awoken again by her son’s crying.

         Throughout the rest of the day, she showed what she did while her son slept and what she ate throughout the day to keep her energy up.

         Her husband came home with a box of pizza and she ended the vlog.

         “Thank you guys for watching this day in my life. Be sure to like this video if you liked it and subscribe for more content with my family. See you guys next time, bye.”

         She turned off her camera and sighed. She would have to edit it, but she could not do so that night because she was tired. Not only from caring for her newborn, but also from vlogging the day on just a few hours of sleep. And yet it was worth it, for she knew that in a few years she would be able to look back at her content and smile.

***

Twenty years later,

Leola watched Jakob bring the last box down from his room and followed him to his car. This was the part she had been dreading, she did not want to say goodbye to her son. Of course, it would not be goodbye forever, but she was sad to see him leave and wished she could keep him with her forever. But she had to let him go, let him do his own thing.

         Jakob turned to her, looking just like a younger version of her husband who was at the moment giving Jakob’s room a final sweep. “You know I will be back to visit soon.”

         Yes, she knew, but it did not make it any less hard to see him go. But she was happy for him. He was moving out to his new place, a place that would be shared with his fiancée once they were married in August.

         Her husband came out. “I checked and you have everything you need. Did you get gas or do you need to get some more?”

         Jakob show his head. “I got gas yesterday.”

         Her husband nodded and hugged Jakob. He said something quietly to him to which Jakob nodded. Jakob then turned and hugged her. “I will miss you, mom, but it won’t be long before I visit.”

         Tears dripped from her eyes and down her face. “I will miss you too. Don’t forget to call us at least once a week.”

         Jakob nodded and smiled. “I will.” Then he turned and with one last wave, he was gone.

         Her husband wrapped an arm around her shoulder and she leaned against his side. “Why don’t you and I watch one of your old videos.”

         She nodded and they walked into the living room. They played a video from her old channel. She had ceased to post on there after a while, but her channel was still up to the public.

         The video they went to now had over a million views, but the views did not matter to her. No, theses videos were something she could look back on just like they were doing now.

         She watched the video play out and smiled. Back then, when she had been a young mother with a newborn, she had been so tired both from being a parent but also from filming and editing, but now she was so glad for that time and effort spent. Because now, she could look back and smile over the good times and the hard moments.

August 25, 2020 02:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

A K Woodhouse
19:42 Aug 31, 2020

I really like how you cut the two stories together, while she was with a newborn and then 20 years later. If I may, I would suggest reading a little more into what life with a newborn is like. I’m a mum of a newborn and this doesn’t resonate with me as she seems too calm. Having a young baby is exhausting and full of heightened emotions. Hope this helps? Hopefully my story will be published soon - I would really appreciate your honest feedback on it too x

Reply

Trinity Womack
20:16 Aug 31, 2020

Thank you Ann littler. I completely understand what you are saying and I believe I might go back and tweak it accordingly. I was trying to focus a bit more on the vlogging aspect because I do not really understand what a mother’s life with a newborn is like. I appreciate the input. I would love you read your story, as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:24 Aug 28, 2020

Enjoyed reading this story ;) keep writing!

Reply

Trinity Womack
01:39 Aug 28, 2020

Thank you so much, Aerin B.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.