Albert & Charlie

Submitted into Contest #137 in response to: Write a story about a scientist.... view prompt

0 comments

Creative Nonfiction Fiction Speculative

In January of 1931, on a tour of the United States of America, Professor Albert and Mrs. Elsa Einstein, visit Universal Studios in Burbank, California as the guest of studio head, Carl Laemmle. Mr. Laemmle asks the world-renowned physicist, “Is there anyone in Hollywood you would like to meet?” Einstein replies, “One person, Charlie Chaplin.” The icons of science and comedy meet on January 30, while attending the premiere of his film, ‘City Lights.’

Over the next several years, Charlie and Albert develop a friendship and the Einsteins visit on more than one occasion. In the summer of 1933, on the 'Comedian Sees The World' tour, Charlie visits Berlin and is hosted by the Einsteins in their home. This is the story of when two iconic geniuses, an actor who said nothing and the physicist who said everything, have a conversation that changed history.

After dinner, Charlie polished off a plate of home-baked fruit tarts, “these were delish, Elsa. Thank you!” Elsa smiles back, “you are very welcome, Charlie. I should've made more!” Albert interrupts, “Charlie, would you join me in my study for a smoke?” Charlie nods a yes, Albert slides the pocket doors open and the both bid Elsa goodnight. Elsa quips, “Don’t stay up too late you two! Good night, my love.”

As they enter, Charlie fantasizes about being the first to see Albert’s latest theory, or an equation that once again, has the global science community buzzing. At minimum, he’d settle for a peek into this great mind. In his memoir ‘CHAPLIN’, Charlie said, “…Albert is jovial and friendly. And although his manner was calm and gentle, I felt it concealed a highly emotional temperament, and that from this source came his extraordinary intellectual energy.” That energy is a force the world hasn’t seen in hundreds of years.  

Albert gestures for Charlie to sit by the window and takes the seat next to him. They’re separated by a table playing host to an ashtray, pipe stand, and box of matchsticks. As Charlie scans the room, his fantasy slowly fades, having imagined Albert sitting behind a desk littered with scientific journals holding secrets to the universe. Instead, he is next to his friend across the room from an empty desk, covered with several boxes with labels scribbled in unintelligible German. Behind the desk was a well worn chair in front of a chalkboard wall, centered between two bookcases. The slate is clean, less some eraser marks, and what appeared to be the beginning or end of formulas in the corners. The bookshelves items make it unclear if they are on their way in or on their way out.

Charlie pulls one cigarette from the case, placed between his lips and returned the case to his breast pocket all in the time it took to take in the office of his friend, Professor Einstein. Searching for a match, he quips, “Having the place painted?” Unable to find a light, the flame from a fresh match is placed in front of his face and takes him out of his trance. Albert holds it steady while Charlie draws ,in and slowly exhaling says, “This is not what I pictured in my mind. Quite different actually.” He watches Albert stoke his pipe and the trails of smoke merge in the space above the table between them, Charlie's reality now fully back with Albert. There would be no showing off the machinations of genius today from the head, but secrets revealed, the likes of which only Charlie would see, coming from Einsteins heart.

Albert’s gaze moves from beneath his bushy brows into the face of his friend, “Charlie, I fear for what is happening in the streets here. It’s unnerving but not as if speaking to a crowd or forced into social situations. The kind where a mans life is in real danger. I am afraid Elsa is right. We are to become refugees leaving Berlin. There is no renovation of our flat happening here. We are in fact, abandoning it.” Charlie places his smoke in the ashtray and moves to the edge of his seat, as his posture meets Albert’s mood, he pauses to rest elbows on knees. He stares back into Albert's eyes as they swell with tears and asks, “Tell me what is happening on the streets of Berlin, Albert?"

Albert puffs on his pipe, which has gone out and begins to explain, ”Nazis, Charlie. They disgrace Us. It started with desecration and destruction of shops. Vandalism. Then, escalated to mockery and threats. As of late I've with my own eyes, seen men kicked in the streets like dogs. I myself spoke to a young boy about science when a soldier took it upon himself to stand between us and…” Albert too choked up to speak. “What is it Albert?” Charlie inquires. “What did he do?” Albert in a rarely seen rage, exclaims, “spit in my face and saying they will eventually come for me. Then he handed me this…” Albert pulls a folded paper from his coat pocket and hands it to Charlie. It is a piece of Nazi propaganda, written in German. Before Charlie can ask to translate, Albert elaborates, “$5000 - EINSTEIN, this you understand without problem. The rest in Deutsch says YET TO BE HANGED LIST: $5000 FOR ALBERT EINSTEIN.” 

Albert no longer fighting back tears, clutches his pipe in one hand and puts his face in the other. Charlie extends his arm and knowingly risks upsetting a friend who does not like to be touched, places a hand on Albert’s shoulder. Surprisingly, Albert does nothing but continue to weep. The two men sit like this for several moments, Charlie present to a human feeling safe enough in his presence to be vulnerable and real, pulls the fresh cotton square from his outer coat pocket and slides it between Albert’s hand and face. Albert wipes tears from his cheeks before they can land on his trademark mustache, while Charlie breaks the silence, “You know what I have to say, Albert?” Albert gathers himself and looks back at Charlie, longing for comfort to ask in return, “What is it a man who has made his fortune on being silent have to say, Mr. Charlie Chaplin?”  

“You must leave here Albert and never look back. The world will take you in. But do not risk your life for this, as your contribution to the world cannot be made if dead." Charlie continues after he lets that sink in with Albert, “…and a $5000 bounty on your head, and in it a mind like yours, in my humble opinion, you could fetch a much better price on the open market..., I’d shop around for a second opinion." Charlie winks and does his trademark mustache wiggle under his nose as if he were being the famous clown the world adores. The two share a much-needed laugh from the unbearable truth of what has become of Berlin and more so, what future may come. Albert gathers himself, puffs on his pipe having forgotten it is still not lit, takes a deep breath, and exhales while Charlie asks another question, "Promise me Albert. I really think you can do better.” They enjoy a long silence as Albert gets his pipe lit and going again. Charlie, at the risk of being too over the top says, “So what would the world’s smartest man do under these circumstances?”

Albert smirks, as his friend knows he does not enjoy being referred to as the smartest man in the world. Charlie has been winding him up, comforting his spirit out of shame and empowering his intellect to seek a solution. Albert willingly brings Charlie up to speed, “We shall send our belongings along with my work, with anything else we can ship from the flat here, ahead to Princeton NJ. I have taken the offer on a position to teach at the University.” Charlie interrupts with glee, "This is wonderful, Albert. An excellent plan! You teach and keep that head on its shoulders where it belongs. The students of Princeton: a lucky lot!”

“It is true what you say, Charlie,” explains Albert. “I can get more for this head on the open market.”

They sit in silence some more and take in gravity of the situation, it’s implications on their lives and how both men, will never be the same after this conversation. Charlie shares a thought, "Albert, I have a brilliant idea.” Albert says, “Ideas are my department, however you have listened to my truth and provided great comfort in this time of need. As for its brilliance, I reserve the right to be the judge of that.” Charlie smirks, “fair enough, Professor Smarts,” but gives the comment no attention while lighting up another smoke, stands up and starts pacing the room, “Albert Einstein. The smartest man in the world…” Albert interrupts while Charlie says in unison (both), “you know I do not like it when you call me that…” they laugh, Charlie because he knew he would say that and Albert because he realizes now that Charlie is just taking the piss. “The brilliant idea, Professor, is this: you will be the first to tell the world of what is happening in Germany. WHY you are leaving.” (Albert’s posture informs Charlie this is anything but a brilliant idea)… “As everyone deserves to know what you have shared with me this evening!” he exclaims. "I cannot do this.” says Albert.

"What? Of course you can. People listen to you. They hear you. You will impact the lives of countless humans! Of course you can. Don’t be silly.” Charlie insists. “I have an easier time standing up to the Nazis outside of this flat than being in the limelight to share these atrocities with the rest of civilization. Science is my thing. Not politics. Not war. Not Nationalism. These things are what plagues humanity. Science not Civilization is what I can speak to. Besides, no one wants to hear a physicist speak out about Fascism and oppression. Leave that to people like you, Charlie. Your films reach the masses, you can tell the story, not me. The actor is the entertainer, the scientist is here to look at the bigger questions of the universe,” Albert pleads and slows his banter before he starts to make sense to himself.

Charlie presses, “listen to yourself Albert. Who else to talk about what is happening in these tempestuous times today than YOU? After all, you are the worlds…” Albert interrupts, “…enough with that Charlie! The world cannot take responsibility for itself on the wishes of one man. To save Europe from a new disaster it will take more than just one mind, albeit it brilliant. Success over these war-like adventures requires the serious and determined will of the people. Otherwise, a dream for peace is utterly hopeless. Why me? I hate crowds and interviews and being the center of attention. It is embarrassing to earn so much respect and love for the thing which my own nature drives me to do. I ask questions no one is asking because I wonder, Charlie. I will not let the arrows of hate hit me. They belong to another world, which I have no connection whatsoever!” We see some of Albert’s dark side. Charlie is taken aback for a moment thinking he may have pushed too far. The room cools a bit, Charlie sits back down and lights another smoke. Albert joins him as they reset the room, and Albert amends the discomfort stating, “I think I like you better in your movies as the silent type.” The smile at each other and laugh. Shoulders drop and the mood dissipates.  

Charlie sees this moment as seize the moment by refusing to let Albert off the hook. He proceeds to softly plead his case behind the butt of his third smoke, “There was a time I too fled Europe for the greener pastures of America. I knew my life in England had reached maximum opportunity. If I wanted to grow as a man and realize my full potential, I had to embrace the unknown. I had to step into the discomfort of an uncertain future. I too had to ask questions in wonder not knowing where it would all take me. I understand that which nature drives us to do, as you say. But this world of being human is my world. It is the world I am in and the world I know. This is our fishbowl, Albert. And we cannot deny our humanity as we stare back at the ugliest parts of ourselves. We can only imitate and illuminate that hate of which you refer. And ask new questions, Albert. You more than anyone in the world have become good at that simple task. How do you find the answers to what is happening, I haven’t a clue. But I know we have to keep seeking, keep searching and keep asking. For when we stop being curious, that is when the enemy wins.”

Albert admires seeing Charlie in this deep of an inquiry, appreciates his view and acknowledges him, “An actor is also a scientist. You seek to answer questions about where you want to go, what do you want, how will you get it. The questions of one man who is pretending so as to tell the story written by another man for entertainment. You would be better served telling the stories of the great quest of man today in film than I. Maybe you should give the speech to the world in a film.”

Charlie reminds Albert, “but this story is yours, Albert. Yours to tell. No one can tell it better than you. The gifts you have been given allowed us all to look at life itself in a deeper way. Sharing your findings from these very same inquiries be it Science or Civilization, are one in the same. You must continue to share these gifts with the world. It is part of the burden you bear, to share it all. What good are you as a physicist if you don’t try to solve the problem? At least try, Albert!”

Albert explains, “If only an hour to solve a problem, Charlie, I spend 55 minutes thinking of the problem and five minutes thinking about solutions. Alas, we cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.” 

Charlie replies, “yet here we are, we didn’t start this problem. But we have been sitting, telling the truth, being real, sharing our hearts with each other and looking at how when two of us are gathered, a logical solution could come to bear. Are we not scientists of physics and comedy… using laughter and logic to tackle this very problem? Can we not see our own moral strength in this evening and remain faithful to the traditions of tolerance and justice, and still have pride in our heritage and humanity? It is you and I who refuse to be slaves, Albert. What about the rest of them, Albert? Who will speak up for them? I’m a silent movie star. I think you are the one to do it. I think this is your time."

Albert reluctantly sees his point and agrees with him that the silent movie star is not the one but the scientist very well could be. He changes his physical and mental position, moves to the chalkboard, grabs a piece of chalk from the tray and begins to write:  

My task is not to act as a judge of the conduct of this nation but inquire into how the present upheavals lead us to a better world: 

Q1: how we save mankind and its spiritual acquisitions of which we are the heirs? 

Q2: how can we save Europe from a new disaster? 

“These are the questions I have not the answers for. But they have kept me up at night Charlie. They haunt me when I see what is happening here in Germany. If I leave, am I not a coward for letting the oppression and hatred win. By lacking the honor to stay and stand for the freedoms of which are political, scientific, and those liberties that have brought us every advance of knowledge and invention. Without such freedoms, life to a self-respecting man is not worth living! I do not have the answers to these questions, Charlie. But I have been asking them, for months. And now I am leaving Germany.” Albert places the chalk on the desk, looks to Charlie, grinning ear to ear. 

Charlie lays down his sword, “and this is what the world needs to hear my friend. To hear a brilliant man of our time, who understands what makes the universe tick while his heart beats only for peace and justice. Show them, Albert. Show them all the science of your heart and let the world hear it from those two questions. Charge us all with the task of finding a better way to be in this world together, so we may leave it better for future generations. This is exactly why it is you. Can you now see, that none other are better suited for the task at hand?”

Albert takes a long silent moment to himself, pondering what that may look like. He returns to share with Charlie, “We shall not worry over the fact that we are living in a time of danger and want. Rather, we will be the ones to tell the world of these atrocities. I will deliver a speech to the world Charlie, if you agree to make a film. A great film about this dictator and show your version of what the world needs to answer these two questions. If you agree, we have a deal.”

Charlie, who never backs down from challenges to produce quality entertainment. “Professor Einstein, you have yourself a deal.” They shake hands.  

March 19, 2022 00:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.