Persuasion

Submitted into Contest #248 in response to: Write a story titled 'Persuasion'.... view prompt

1 comment

Fiction Friendship Drama

“Hey, I’m Art,”

“Joe,”

“Would you like some candy?” Art asks.

“No.”

“Strange, isn’t it?” Art asks.

“I can’t wait to leave,” Joe replies.

The two men sit and watch each other for a moment, and then Art feels the grandfather inside him want to reach out and pass on some knowledge to this young man while he has the chance.

“Do you know how old the art of persuasion is?” Art asks.

“I don’t even know what that is.”

“It all started with Aristotle,” Art began.

“Who?” Joe asks.

“Aristotle was a great philosopher who invented logic among other things. In his work called Rhetoric, he spoke about the power of words and how to use them for persuasion. Mastering the delicate art of convincing and engaging people is a powerful asset.”

“You lost me, I am not very smart,” Joe says hanging his head low in disgrace,” I’m just a criminal.”

“Even criminals use persuasion and those that use it right never get caught,” Art explains.

“It seems like it comes naturally to you.”

“It didn’t at first, I had to learn, you can learn it too. With the art of persuasion, you can make anyone agree with your point of view.” Art explains.

“I am not smart like you, I don’t know big words and stuff?” Joe insists.

“You can, but you won’t need to. I can teach you.”

“It would take too much time,” Joe says.

“We got all the time in the world young man,” Art says seeing that he is beginning to convince his young friend.

“Okay then, I got nothin to lose.”

“First thing, be straightforward and avoid complicated words, Speak naturally.

The main objective of persuasion is to get your audience to agree with your viewpoint.”

“Yes sir.”

“Don’t be fake, be genuine and honest, even if telling a lie.”

“How the hell do you be honest while lying?” Joe asks.

“This is a little off subject, but did you used to play football?” Art asks.

“Yeah, three years. I was all-conference.”

“I could tell, you look like you’re in shape,” Art compliments.

“Well, I try.”

“Could you switch seats with me, the sun is in my eyes?” Art asks.

“Sure thing Art.”

The two men switch seats and Art sits down and waits until the younger man figures out what happened, and why he is now sitting with the sun in his eyes.

“I kinda wish I had stayed where I was at,” Joe admits squinting.

“Why did you move?”

“Because you asked,” Joe replied but then began to understand.

“I persuaded you to do something you didn’t want to do. If you had thought about it you would have realized that you would be in the same predicament as me when we switched but you were persuaded.” Art reveals.

“Well, I‘ll be damned! That was clever,” Joe exclaims, “Tell me more.”

“You need to begin reading, you need to become a master storyteller, everybody loves a good story. A master storyteller knows how to grab the listener’s attention.”

“I like to read, mostly comics and stuff,” Joe explains.

“Get a book, like The Great Gatsby, or Tale of Two Cities.”

“Is this some kind of trick?” Joe asks.

“No! It's not a trick. It is crucial to be honest, persuasion is all about what’s in the best interest of those listening and getting them to see your point of view. Most people are only interested in themselves. So, when you show interest in them, they are more willing to care about you and what you are saying.”

“Just like when you asked about football!” Joe exclaims.

“Exactly, I showed interest in you, and it made you instinctively want to help me when I was in need. But along with that, I had to be likable, that’s why I offered you something when you came over and sat down, and I began talking to you in a friendly voice, because it made me likable in your mind, and therefore more likely to be persuaded.” Art explains.

“Well, I’ll be. You’re right, but why did you just sit there and watch me be uncomfortable after we switched?” Joe asks.

“To teach you the importance of the pause.”

“What?” Joe asks.

“The pause is a great way to emphasize the importance of what you have just said, by letting the information sit in their mind a little longer you can stress the importance of the words you have spoken without saying as much.”

“What else, I can already see how this will come in handy,” Joe pleads.

“Be in command of your emotions, express the emotion within yourself that you want to convey to your audience. If you can get them to feel the same passion as you then you will win them over.”

“What if they aren’t persuaded or they are against me regardless?” Joe asks.

“You shouldn’t be afraid of opposing arguments; you should answer them honestly and directly. Before you try to persuade anyone, you should think of all the ways they could oppose you and create an answer for them, even if it means admitting fault. Everybody in the world has done something wrong Joe, it is the ones that admit it and work to better themselves because of it that overcome their faults.”

“But I haven’t done anything wrong!” Joe insists.

“It doesn’t matter, if someone is looking to see you admit to a fault then give it to them, give them what they want, and it will help you persuade them when you need to.”

“Oh! I see.”

“When you tell your story, paint a picture in their minds, be descriptive. When you do this, you help them see your viewpoint that much easier because they become connected with what you are saying.”

“Is that it?” Joe asks.

“You always want to finish off with a thank you, because politeness shows that you care what they think, even if you don’t. If you can finish off with something bold or personal, it often depends on who you are speaking to. If it is an educated man I quote a great philosopher, an athletic man I quote great sports coaches, and if it is a woman I quote my mother, even though she died when I was born.”

“How the hell do you do…” Joe realizes, “You make something up.”

“Exactly!” Art exclaims seeing his pupil begin to understand.

“Open three!” The guard yells standing before their prison cell.

“Come with me Art, the parole board is ready for you.” The guard orders.

“Will I see you again?” Joe asks.

“Not if I am persuasive enough!” he exclaims as he dances away to his chance at freedom.

May 02, 2024 02:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Jeremy Stevens
02:37 May 09, 2024

I liked the conclusion to this. Very unexpected!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.