Siren Song #2 Candy Shop

Written in response to: Set your story in a confectionery shop.... view prompt

4 comments

Urban Fantasy Drama Fiction

The smells of sugar, caramel, chocolate, and fresh popped popcorn assaulted my nose as I stood in the doorway of Freakin’ Sugar, the city's premiere supernatural candy shoppe. I tucked my yellow hair into the hood of my sweatshirt and kept my eyes averted as I made my way into the treat palace. 

Sweets were never something I’d been allowed to partake in when I’d been young. Overwhelmed by the choices in front of me now, I stood in front of chocolate bars in every shape, size, and flavor were stacked neatly on the shelves. There were baggies full of colorful jelly werewolves, witches, and goblins. Chocolate and white chocolate dipped pretzels, chips, and bacon made for sweet and salty treats.

I stood in the center of the shop admiring the display of large animal shaped chocolates and chewing my nails from the overwhelming indecision I was facing when someone cleared their throat behind me. I glanced up and into the eyes of Case. Paling, I went to step away as I hid my face behind my hood. 

“Too late, Dawn. I already know it’s you,” he whispered under his breath. 

“I was getting a snack. I wasn’t bothering anyone,” I murmured. 

He nodded and tucked his hands into his coat pockets. “Didn’t say you were bothering anyone. Did you call that number I gave you?”

I shook my head.

“Why not? It’s not safe here for you, Dawn. If your father finds out…” 

I shrugged. “I’ve got no father.” And walked away, leaving Case to frown after me. A fairy girl with red skin and large black eyes smiled at me as I scanned the case of freshly made brownies, cookies, and creams. 

“Can I help you?” she asked and batted her eyelashes made of leaves.

“Just looking.” I muttered, my stomach growled. 

She let out a giggle that sounded like nails on a chalkboard. “Someones hungry. Our newest flavors are chocolate-covered toad and human AB positive cream.” 

“Mmmm.” I cringed at the thought of eating either of those things. “Thank you.” I moved away from the case and the fairy.

“You got any money, Dawn?” Case dogged behind me. 

I rolled my eyes at him. “Leave me alone.”

He fisted the back of my sweatshirt and yanked me. I stumbled back into him. He leaned down so close that his breath tickled my neck and I shivered, involuntary. “How are you paying for this food, Dawn?” 

I tried to pull away from him, but he held me still. “That’s not your concern.”

“It is because if you get busted using your power to steal from this place or any place, your father will kill you. He owns this entire city, Dawn.” Case spun me to face him. “And he will kill you, daughter or not.”

Before I could say anything, my stomach growled loudly, and I placed my hand on it as my cheeks flushed. I shoved Case, and he stumbled back. Storming past him, he snatched my arm again and stilled my progress. 

“Wait, when was the last time you’ve eaten?”

I shrugged again. 

He hissed through his teeth. “Come on.” And dragged me out of the candy shop into the bustling streets of the city. 

“Where are you taking me?” I panicked as we approached my father’s club. “No. No. I’ll go away. Please, don’t take me to him.”

Case paused and loosened his grip. “I would never do that. I’m feeding you, but not to your father. Relax.” 

I nodded, taking a deep breath. We passed the club, a pizza shop, and were almost past a burger joint when I dug my heels in. There were no more restaurants if we continued this direction. “We passed the food. Where are you taking me?”

He glowered at me, glancing around at the creatures that toiled around the streets, and lingered at the busy restaurants. “I can’t take you to a restaurant. So I’ll feed you at my apartment. Okay?”

“Why can’t you?”

He blew out a breath. “Come on, Dawn. Let’s go.” He continued to try and pull me, but I refused to move. “Someone might see us. That’s why. You’re a Siren and T.I. can’t see you,” he said. 

“You mean T.I. might see you with me.” I yanked from his grip and I wanted so badly to storm away and cry, but I was starving. “I’ll follow you but stop touching me, Case,” I whispered. 

He clicked his tongue before he nodded and tucked his hands back into his coat. I followed him with my head down, my eyes on his feet, and refused to acknowledge any creatures around me. We turned down an alleyway with a single overhead light and climbed metal stairs for three flights before we stopped. I took a chance to glance around and we were in between two older brick apartment buildings and standing in front of a black metal door. 

Case pulled open the door, and it immediately engulfed us in greenish light from a decaying hallway. “Let’s go.” He gave me a light shove onto the peeling linoleum before he locked the metal door behind us. “It’s four doors on the left. 306.” He indicated the direction with his head. 

Once at the door, he unlocked all five locks before he pushed open the apartment door. It was a studio style with a king-sized bed in the center of the room. Its black sheets and white blanket all crumbled into a heap at the foot. A small kitchenette with a tiny wall oven, two-burner stovetop, and a half-sized yellow fridge in the center. A metal pub table with two wood bar-stools stood off to one corner. Three cheaply made bookshelves lined a wall with books, nick-knacks, and one cactus. There was a pocket door to a teeny bathroom off to one side. There were exactly zero pictures or personal items in the entire place. 

“This place is a trash hole.” I ran my finger over the metal table and smirked. “Looks like T.I. pays his creatins and thugs well.”

“And where do you live, smartass?” Case scowled at me as he tossed his coat on the bar stool and opened the fridge. “This thug is about to feed you, so how about you be a little nicer?” He tossed a box of pizza on the table and grabbed two cans of pop out next. He tossed open the box and threw some slices on a plate before sticking it in to the microwave. 

“And here I thought you were going to make me a fancy meal.” I crossed my arms over chest. 

“Beggars can’t be choosers.”

“I never begged you to feed me, Case. I was fine on my own. Always have been.” 

He huffed, pulled out the bar stool, and patted it. “Just sit down and eat.” He took the plate from the microwave and sat it in front of me. “Sorry it’s not a five star meal, your majesty.” 

I watched him as he heated food for himself and I took a tentative bite out of the pizza. The moment the rich, flavorful sauce hit my starving tongue and growled low, closing my eyes at the savory deliciousness. I shoveled the pizza into my mouth without a single thought to anything but how hungry I was. When the slice was gone and I opened my eyes and Case was watching me wide-eyed. 

“When was the last time you ate, Dawn?” he whispered as he sat down across from me and handed me a paper towel. 

Flushing, I took it and wiped the sauce from my face. “Been awhile.” I looked down at my empty plate and the sauce covering my paper towel and my cheeks heated more. “Sorry. I am not usually ill-mannered.”

He reached across the table to touch my hand. “Don’t worry---” There was a knock on the door and he paled slightly before pulling his hand from mine. He got up to check the peep-hole. “Shit,” he murmured. 

The knock sounded again, more urgent this time. “Caseum! I know you are home!” An angry female’s voice sounded through the door. 

He sent me a panicked glance, and I tucked my hands in sweatshirt as I stood. “I need you to use your power.”

“What?” I stepped back from him. “No.”

“Yes. I fed you. Now you owe me.” 

The blood fled from my cheeks. “I thought you were being nice,” I whispered.

The woman on the other side of door screamed his name louder. He sighed. “Don’t look at me like that, Dawn. Of course, I was being nice. Now I need you to help me.”

“Who is she?”

“Doesn’t matter. Make her leave… please.”

“No.” 

The woman unlocked the door and shoved it open — A Were-Tiger stood there furious with her striped skin on display in her tiny black dress and sky high purple heels. 

Case forced a smile. “I thought you were done with me, Quila.” 

“I told you I wanted to talk…” Her cat eyes tracked me as I eased away from the two of them. “Who is that?” 

“A friend,” he answered.

“A friend?” She snarled and goosebumps coated my skin. 

I shivered and went to step around the two of them on my way to the door. Case grabbed my arm and, as quick as lightning, he forced my hand onto Quila’s chest. 

I tried to pull away, but he was stronger. “Stop, Case, you’re hurting me. Stop. I don’t want to…” I whimpered. 

Quila’s eyes dilated and her face grew soft, dreamy. She smiled at Case. 

“Quila, I want you to go home. And never bother me again,” he said.

She reached out to run a gentle claw down his cheek. “You’re beautiful.” 

“Thanks. Go, Quila. Now and never come back,” he repeated, and finally let my hand go. 

I scowled at him as my heart raced. Tears burned in the back of my throat while I flexed the pain out of my hand. 

He laughed in relief as Quila closed the door behind her. “That was a close one.” He chuckled again as he took his seat back at the table. “Hey, thanks…” He frowned at me. “What?”

“You used me. Against my will,” I whispered. 

He rolled his eyes and sipped his pop. “Don’t be dramatic.”

The tears I’d been holding slipped down my cheeks, and I grabbed the door handle.

“Shit. Why are you crying?” He stood to come towards me, but I threw open the door and ran out into the night. “Dawn! Come back, Damn it!”

I hid among the crowd, melting into them, until I disappeared from anyone’s radar. The night sky rumbled with the first streaks of storm and the rain that dropped slowly from the clouds helped to hide my tears while I searched for shelter. There was an eve with a large stone overhang that sat in front of a boarded up store. I huddled into it. I pulled my knees to my chest, rested my face in them, and bawled my eyes out. 

February 17, 2022 02:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Craig Westmore
22:45 Feb 19, 2022

I love the descriptive progression of chocolates as you go from something sweet to savory to creepy. Great image of "chocolate-covered toad and human AB positive cream." I briefly lost my appetite for sweets. I was a little lost as the story progressed so I read the previous Siren Song and it all made sense. This story works better as a chapter two than as a stand alone story. Great gritty world you've created, Lindsey.

Reply

Emerald Lace
01:03 Feb 20, 2022

Thank you! I agree it's totally a second chapter more than a stand alone story. Work in progress. I'm glad you enjoyed it and the world. <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Moon Lion
08:16 Feb 19, 2022

The sense of urgency and movement in this story was really well done, and I actually felt like the story progressed very fluidly! Also, my friend Eve and I have bought your book and cannot wait to check it out! :)

Reply

Emerald Lace
12:04 Feb 19, 2022

Thank you for the compliment and thank you for taking a chance on one of my books. I hope you two enjoy it! Made my entire week! So I appreciate you so much. <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.