Brutal Endings

Written in response to: Start your story in the middle of the action.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Teens & Young Adult Romance

"Just Stop! I can't keep doing this! All we do is go around and around in circles, we are getting nowhere," How had it gotten to this. They were happy. "Elias," She stated, he did not like where this was going. The ache in his chest only got stronger, like a twist of the knife already piercing his heart. 

“Ramona stop! How can you be so blind?! Have you missed everything that’s been happening around you?” He had put up with so much, nothing mattered anymore. Finally he felt like it was time for him to focus on himself. “This WHOLE time all it’s ever been is about you Ramona. Just you. Everything I did was for you! I gave into your every while because I love you Ramona,” He held his forehead in frustration, this was too much all at once. He knew he shouldn’t stoop to her level, he had never resorted to yelling but after all the eggshells he had stepped on for her, he just broke. He looked up and she looked, she looked scared.

Admittedly he was much bigger than her but he would never hurt her, she knew that right? Tears streamed down her flushed face, her mascara was long washed away now, the look in her eyes was raw, it was fear. It stopped him in his tracks. Was it real or was this another one of her ways to manipulate him into giving into her. 

“Why are you yelling at me? I made you. I gave you your whole life, and you have the audacity to yell at ME!” Her demeanor changed, now it was his turn to be scared, she went back to showing her true colors, her ugly nature. 

“I made myself. I will not have my efforts in my life be squashed by your delusions Ramona! How selfish can you be? For a second there I really thought you came back to reality, but here we are again, back at square one. There is no way you could have ‘made’ me or however you want to put it,” He sighed, finally restraining himself from yelling. 

“And what the hell do you mean by that? You live in my house. You use my car. I introduced you to every one of your friends-” He cut her off.

“No! That’s a twisted story and you know it! You made me move in with you cause you were struggling with rent, I used your car because we couldn’t afford two car payments. Well, we would if you didn’t make me pay for every one of your shopping sprees and take my card to go have lunch with your little friends. Those friends you introduced me to, they were all your idea, you didn’t like my friends so I cut them off cause I was so in love with you, I regret it every day,” It felt good to finally get everything off his chest, almost like a breath of fresh air.

Was?” Ramona repeated. “What do you mean ‘was’? Do you not love me Elias?” Her tone was sinister. At that moment it hit him, had he said ‘was’? He had, hadn’t he. Maybe it was true, maybe the love Elias once had finally turned into an anxious attachment which only led to arguments and turned their relationship to toxic waste.  

“Maybe,” He finally admitted.

“Was I not good enough?What did I do wrong? I thought I was giving you everything you would ever need,” Her voice was soft, her head was down, she couldn't bring herself to look at him. Elias was all too familiar with what she was doing, he would apologize and beg her to stay then it would all go back to normal. She would keep using him and he'd let her, because it was too much trouble not to. He had to break the cycle. 

“I know you’re upset. I know you just want things to go back to how they were. But I can’t keep doing that to myself. You said it yourself, we are going around and around in circles. It’s worthless, you brought this up and I’m starting to see your point. So maybe it’s time,” he tried to be soft, to not break her any more than necessary, even after all she had put him through he still didn’t want to hurt her. “Ramona I’m sorry,” He began to reach for her hand but it was tightly folded together in her arms, plus it would be useless. The last thing she needed was to be comforted by the person that put her in this state. 

“You’re not sorry, you’re not sorry at all. You never loved me, the only person you care about is yourself. Yea, that’s all it is, you’re just selfish so you can’t find it in you’re soul to keep loving me, because you’re a PIECE OF SHIT ELIAS! You can’t do anything on your own, you’re a leech! I hope you never find love again Elias, you are going to rot in hell. You filthy bastard.” 

“What just happened. Ramona. What are you doing?”

“I’m calling you out, you’re manipulative and disgusting, you just used me this whole time!” She was shouting, she had confirmed herself into her own delusions. There was nothing he could do now, her selfishness wouldn’t allow her to see herself as the problem. She was forever the victim and every bit of sympathy he once had for her went out the window. He was gone, it was time.

“Then I’ll leave. Since I’m such a leech, Elias the bastard, Elias the manipulator, Elias the piece of shit. I hear you Ramona, so let me do you a favor. We’re done. I’m done. I can’t keep doing this and I’ve clearly hurt you enough. So I’ll go,” He finally said it and went to their bedroom, packing up enough of his things to go to his brother’s house until he came for the rest.

“Where are you going?” She followed him.

“I’m leaving.”

“But where?”

“Why do you care? I just broke up with you.”

“But, but I’m not done with you!” She shouted, still trying to be angry, still trying to argue. 

“Well I am, I’m not arguing anymore, I’ll be back for the rest of my things later,” He finished, standing up with his bag stretching out his shoulder and trying to stand a bit taller. He didn’t even look back, he was out the door, at the nearest bus stop before he could even fully comprehend his trip. But finally, he could focus on his needs and try to grow from whatever hell hole he had just escaped. He worried about how she would feel and cope, but that was no longer at the forefront of his mind as it once was. 

June 22, 2023 01:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.