Her First Submission

Submitted into Contest #231 in response to: Write about someone trying something completely new.... view prompt

15 comments

Fiction

They were short little tales of approximately 700 words, each having a twist ending similar to the old black and white Twilight Zone series. She remembered watching the marathon every New Year’s Day saying “Just one more” as each episode came to an end and the next about to start. She hoped her stories would have that same effect. “Just one more,” she imagined her readers saying as they flipped to the next story in her collection. 

That is, if she ever completed her short story collection. She thought of the five colorful folders hidden away in her writing desk, the disappointment trying its best to taunt her, but she wasn’t going to let it. Not this time. After all, it was New Year’s Day, and she had a new mindset to go along with her list of resolutions.

Reluctantly deciding against another episode in the sci-fi marathon, she went into her office and opened her laptop. Playing with some ideas for her next story she was undecided which one to bring to life. Again, she wondered if she would take her writing to the next stage. Her word documents saved and titled “About the Author”, “Dedication Page”, and “Blurb for Back Cover” all remained blank. Maybe it was time to throw caution to the wind and put together the final product.

Were her stories any good? Would she complete the collection and put it out there into the sea of stories? She pictured checking her stats, no sales coming in, no reviews being written, no volume two. Maybe the dream was better than the reality.

She opened her desk drawer and looked at those five colorful folders. Thinking back to Fourth of July she remembered handing them out to friends and family like goody bags at the end of a child’s birthday party. But they weren’t lollipops and plastic rings, they were her stories, pieces of herself that she had created and nurtured until ready for their first audience.

The agonizing over which stories to include and which to hold back for volume two had pained her as if splitting up a family. She spread index cards across the dining room table, sliding them around like a giant jigsaw puzzle to create the full picture. As those cards became a blur of confusion she was tempted to throw them up in the air and let them land where they may. Presto, done.

Finally pleased with the selection and arrangement, she had tentatively mentioned this first draft to her friends and family. Careful to appear nonchalant, although her heart was racing with nerves, she picked out the five people who had shown the most enthusiasm and presented them each with a colorful folder.

***

Glancing at the clock she realized an hour went by while sitting at her writing desk. Had she been lost in thought that long? It was a new year, a blank slate, time to get busy. She went into the kitchen to pour herself a cup of coffee and smear some cream cheese on a bagel. 

***

Not wanting to look at those blank word documents or five colorful folders she clicked onto her newest obsession. She had stumbled onto the forum a while back when googling ‘short story submissions’ and was hooked ever since. Spending all her free time devouring the stories and feedback it was as though she discovered a fountain of water after crossing the Sahara desert. She simply couldn’t get enough, her thirst that great.

Surprised by the banner that greeted her, she sat back in her chair considering the temptation. A New Year’s Day writing contest with a two hour submission window starting … now.

She desperately wanted to submit a story and had, in fact, been obsessed with the idea for a while. The more she read and reread her choices, the more frozen with indecision she became. How she longed to share her tales and to receive feedback. Even negative feedback would be welcome, perhaps helping her fine-tune her craft or deciding to keep it as a hobby for her eyes only. Anything would be better than the deafening silence from her folders.

Looking at the list of New Year’s resolutions she had taped to the bulletin board she focused on the number one item on the list. “Try Something Completely New.” Being a creature of habit, this was extremely challenging, but she was desperate to put a big check mark next to it and advance to the second item on her list. 

Putting that image ahead of her own insecurity she opened a new blank word document and started typing, getting lost in the tale. 

***

Sitting at the table for the New Year’s Day dinner with her family was a refreshing break she needed after writing uninterrupted all afternoon. She smiled listening to the banter, the jokes, the lighthearted conversation. She saw the smiling faces, the children with their spouses as the family grew larger. She also saw the series of emails, first the warm welcome and then the confirmation of her submission. Finally, after hesitation and self-doubt she tackled the first task on her list; she actually tried something completely new. Should she share her excitement? 

Deciding to test the waters she announced, “I’ve been doing more writing lately. I think my stories have improved with practice.”

Her daughter answered, “Oooohhhh, that’s great.”  The words suggested enthusiasm, but the high pitch betrayed her, revealing her true feelings. She was just being polite. Based on the lack of any other responses at the table, she realized there was no interest there at all. 

She had promised herself not to do this again, it was beating a dead horse. She remembered the first few weeks after handing out those folders she had waited for a text, a call, a conversation about her work. She had been filled with anticipation and excitement at sharing a window into her world. Reading those stories five more times, once from each person’s perspective, she imagined their reaction. Then, as time went by, the excitement faded, and the nervous energy was slowly replaced by regret. She equated their silence to disliking her work and not wanting to hurt her feelings. She wished she could go back in time and keep her stories to herself. 

As summer transitioned into fall she continued to write but with less passion. Like the air in an old balloon her enthusiasm had been let out slowly, leaving her deflated. Once she stopped speaking of her stories they became null and void. She decided to take her folders back.

Upon visiting the five selected recipients during the holidays she had looked around for the folder. Each had received a color she thought they would like, trying to make the experience a personal one.  Thinking back to where she had handed them over she was surprised, but not surprised, to find them all unmoved from that original spot. Putting each one carefully into her tote bag she brought them home to hide in her desk drawer. When she had gathered all five she opened them one by one and found the pages crisp and clean in neat stacks. Not the coffee stained wrinkled stories with notes scribbled in the margins she had hoped for. Not even close.

***

After the last of the guests said their goodbyes and the leftovers were packed away she returned to her office. Clicking onto the forum she gasped when seeing her submission. Reading her story online was more intoxicating than the glasses of wine she had enjoyed during their New Year’s toast. Her work, her creation, was there for the whole world to see. Feeling panicked at the last minute, she had used a pen name, but she knew the story was hers. She eagerly read the stream of comments, some praising her work, some providing constructive criticism, all equally thrilling.

After reading submissions by the other authors, she sat back formulating her thoughts, then shared them. Enjoying the in-depth analysis of characters and plot points, the conversations flowed deep into the night. 

Although her first contest was still pending, she felt more like a winner than she had in quite a long time.

December 31, 2023 18:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

12:12 Jan 13, 2024

I know, right????? I remember that! I feel like this story was a gift for us, in the is community. I'm glad to see you have 45 submissions, and you kept going! so many of us I think have been able to find our voice through writing; many of us after putting it away for years, thinking we aren't good enough. I'm glad you are here!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
03:59 Jan 14, 2024

Thank you so much, Mary Lynne! Your encouragement means a lot to me! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeremy Stevens
21:41 Jan 10, 2024

Hannah: How frustrating it is when someone expresses an interest in my writing; I share, and I receive no feedback. I want to say, "Hey, what did you think?" but that small voice screams, "Grovel much?" I'd far appreciate honesty, "Thanks, but not for me." Anyhow, I related to your piece.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
23:58 Jan 10, 2024

Jeremy, I know, it's torture to wait for feedback and get silence. The casual questions "So, see any movies lately? Read any stories lately?" doesn't even do the trick. That dreaded silence as if it's just forgotten, unimportant. Thanks for reading and commenting!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
09:08 Jan 10, 2024

I think you know your audience for this story. Every writer here is resonating with the experience. That first lot of feedback, realising you’re part of something bigger than secret scribbles in notebooks allows. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
14:48 Jan 10, 2024

Yes, being part of a writer's community is priceless. Thanks for reading, Michelle :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ben Boyle
22:16 Jan 09, 2024

Ugh, that feeling of knowing the people who's opinion you care about and want to receive haven't even read what you've given them is so disheartening, and you captured it. My stomach turned at the thought.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
00:43 Jan 10, 2024

I know! We want to share what's important to us but not everyone realizes that our stories really matter to us. Thanks for reading and commenting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
14:36 Jan 09, 2024

Oh my ! You encapsulated what I felt when I first discovered Reedsy (only, I wouldn't even dare give away those folders, save for two or three people I know would give me encouragement and feedback). Beautifully written, Hannah !

Reply

Hannah Lynn
00:38 Jan 10, 2024

Thank you so much, Stella! It really is wonderful to be part of a community of writers. We're lucky to have found each other. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Herman
20:08 Jan 06, 2024

I really liked this because I saw myself in the main character.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
00:56 Jan 10, 2024

Thanks, Zack! I'm glad you liked it and could relate to the main character!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
16:35 Jan 06, 2024

Hi Hannah, I enjoyed reading your story. I can identify with the anticipation and waiting to see how carefully chosen people would respond to the colourful folders which were part of the MC’s soul. I have some of these colourful folders myself! Getting online comments, constructive criticism and appreciation feels like winning.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
18:42 Jan 06, 2024

Hi Helen! Thanks for the feedback :) Our stories feel like children who we nurture and send out into the world hoping they do well. I'm glad the story felt relatable!

Reply

Helen A Smith
18:49 Jan 06, 2024

It really did.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.