He Got My Floral Blanket

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story about a valuable object that goes missing.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

"Hey Sweetheart, what are you doing here all alone sitting on the sand? Why can't you have fun with your cousins on the ocean side? Are you feeling sad my dear?" she is on a great wonder why I am sitting over here, motionless except my eyes soaring distances seeing that thing between sea and sky, why there's a line over there at the end of the ocean to separates the Heaven and the Earth? "I'm okay Grandma," but my eyes say I'm not.

           She is in a peach color with white floral Gumamela duster that soothes her white and wrinkled skin, and her radiant smile she keeps me during that time. She sits beside me with my expressionless face still seeing the beach of sunset. I think it spends a few seconds before she asks me with my hesitation to answer. "Do you want to find the sound of peace and serenity alone so you were here, aren't you?" I would just like to occupy my time with this kind of feeling as this day passes by. And actually, I need someone to talk because if there is no one, I don't barely care where my mind goes on. And I am more than willing the blue sea would wave my life and disappear forever. But look, it will never happen because everything is calm and peaceful, except my mind. Why that calm ocean of Earth near to kiss the Heaven's full of clouds, but separates them by that line? Annoying. I didn't answer to my Grandma's question and still quietly wondering.

           "Dear, why don't you talk to me? I will listen on everything inside that head bothers you, just tell my hija. You can trust me...You know what will happen to those who were too young need early peace in their life?" Grandma said which sooner caught my attention and turns my neck to her direction. Of course I said no and she said, "Die Sooner." It seems she's serious and I cried like a child didn’t get her desire. "Oh no no no, stop crying, I'm just kidding." she wiped my tears and laughed the same way and sound how other Grandmothers laugh. Later on, she pinches me soft and a little, and tells about what I'm seeing at the other side of the sea or edge of the ocean – 'the line.'

           "Hija, the way you look at that direction, you remember me something, something very strange that only a few people can understand." Curiosity triggers me and I'm eager to hear what it is. That is the first time my Grandma tells things which did not tell by our reality. "Do you wanna hear?" Definitely I said "yes" with a smile drawn on my lip. "Before life, the Earth and Heaven were still too young at those old times then. They could reach each other by their arms. One day has come, Sun leaves by his daughter – Earth for the sake of her love for Heaven. Many days have been passed, no days that Earth does not think of her Father, Is her father okay? Or even how are the days of her father without her? Of course she knows He will miss her so much. Then, while they were alone far from her father, they took advantage to make intimate love, and that love brings Life in the carry of the Earth. And here we are, the sons and daughters of Mother Earth and Heavenly Father." She glanced at me with a smile while rubbing my hair and continue her storytelling. "Sooner, the Earth decided to go home with Heaven to see her Father. Subsequently, inside the house, the Father Sun saw them holding each other's hand reason why he gets angry because Heaven took her daughter without his grace and permission, but Earth defended her husband and tells she was the one who left and went to Heaven in the name of their Love. "I saw him at the front of our house that time waiting for you to leave the house. You can't just leave and go to his house." her father said. His daughter shocked because his father told the truth and proved her she lied. After all of that, Earth grabs the hand of her husband and tries to leave, right then her father said, "If you pass after that door of this house, this wouldn't be your home anymore, none both of you, except for my grandchildren. And because of your dishonesty, destiny will be the one which will punish either you, your husband or your sons and daughters" They stop a while to hear all her Father could say, yet they still leave. The Sun follows them by his eyes and slowly disappear a far from there."

           I interrupt my Grandma's story just to ask, "Is Mother Earth a prideful one?" But she said, "I don't know but only I know that the Father Sun, became alone and sad, reasons, why his light fades, causes the darkness to rise." I followed up one more question to seek for the answer on what was destiny punished them. She moves her head directly to the edge of the ocean and said, "Do you see that line between the Heaven's sky and Earth's ocean? That was their punishment, which they won't reach, touch and even kiss each other, except if they will come back to say sorry to her Father Sun." I added one last question to her, "What about the punish to their sons and daughters, us?" And she told me, "life and death." "Let's get up my dear, it's getting late. We might arrive in our province at midnight if we stay for a long time. The way back home is a very long ride" I couldn't help myself to stand because staying here is so good, but when she said she will sew me a floral blanket, I hurried myself to get up to stand. We came to the cottage where my family was packing up.

           That was the only memory I could remember the most together with my Grandma. But now, simply I can do is to stare at her while she was asleep lied on her bed without knowing she could awake and tell more strange stories that I can vividly imagine. Imagining countless things that I should talk to her at that time to the front of Sun dramatically sunset and gently cuts the line at the edge of the Earth's ocean and Heaven's sky. It was unhurried to back the line with the brightness during breaking dawn or darkness of old sunset which both envelopes the endless top of the world. If I could turn back the time, I will cherish every time with her looking at that line. The line at the edge of the ocean; except the line I looking now to the monitor of her heartbeat telling something. She's gone. Everyone knows, if the monitor drawn mountains, that means she's alive; but if it's drawn a line... I cried and I hope no voice to come out, but it did come out, and I can't help myself just cry and let the tears flow.


           Three nurses help themselves to relocate my Grandma's body, I followed them where to go. I have memorized each of the corridors. Not till someone of the nurse blocked my way because I'm not allowed there. I pause myself sitting on the sidewall doing nothing and no one waits for, until one text message I received from my mom that she will wait for me at that same hospital, in my aunt's room. My aunt gave birth to my new cousin. Then and there, I close my eyes and I remembered something that flashes in my mind, the voice of my Grandma, that utter like this one, "Just imagine hija, when the Heaven can reach, touch and kisses Earth, that light which cuts the line reminds us that Father Sun had forgiven them because of his love to his daughter. And that light was the way which brings us to life in the carry of Mother Earth, and the way we need to take upstairs to Heavenly Father when we died and gone in this world."


           I entered in my aunt's room, when someone so cute and innocent face of man captured my attention, yes a baby. We felt both sorrow when this day my grandma died and take steps upstairs to Heavenly Father, and also bliss because of a little man fell down in Mother Earth on the same day. "Hey dear, sorry for getting your blanket without permission for your baby boy cousin sleeping there, don’t worry I will return it soon " my Aunt said. I walked there to look for my cousin for a better view. I saw him with my floral blanket which my Grandma sewed and was missing from me. “Even it is not suited to your gender my cousin, it looks like yours” happily stare to him inside the crib. From there where I'm standing, a glimpse of a smile of happiness my lips conveyed while seeing that line over the window glass next to the crib. I can't believe to say this but, "Now I know, it's not just a line that separates Heaven and Earth. But else telling us how great Heavenly Father and Mother Earth's sin is, and how humble their great love which endures everything between them, and even matters life and death of their children."

April 13, 2020 18:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.