Lingering Spirit

Submitted into Contest #221 in response to: Write a story from a ghost’s point of view.... view prompt

4 comments

Fiction Suspense Urban Fantasy

I had never thought much about what would happen after I died. I suppose most people don't. The living have a tendency to be preoccupied with their own lives, their own problems, their own deaths. But as I watched the world I once knew slip away, I realized that I was trapped in a state of limbo, tethered to the realm of the living by some unresolved matter that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

My name was Noah, and I was a ghost. Or at least, I thought that's what I was. I had no memory of how I had died, no recollection of the events leading up to that moment when I had become this restless spirit, condemned to wander the earth with no clear purpose.

I drifted through the familiar streets of my hometown, which had changed so much since my death. Buildings had been torn down, new ones had sprung up, and the people who passed me by on the street paid me no mind. I was invisible to them, a silent observer of a world that had moved on without me.

One evening, as the sun set in a fiery blaze of red and orange, I found myself drawn to a small, dilapidated house on the outskirts of town. It was a place I had never visited in life, and yet, as I approached, I felt an inexplicable connection to it.

Inside, the house was shrouded in darkness, the air heavy with the scent of decay. I moved through the rooms, my ethereal form passing through walls and furniture as if they weren't there. In one of the rooms, I came across a photograph of a young woman, her smiling face framed by long, dark hair. It was a face I knew, though I couldn't remember how or why.

As I continued to explore, I stumbled upon a diary, its pages filled with the intimate thoughts and secrets of the woman in the photograph. Her name was Chloe, and she had lived in this house many years ago. The more I read, the more I began to piece together the fragments of my own shattered memory.

Chloe had been my sister. We had grown up in this very house, our childhood filled with laughter and love. But as the diary unfolded, it became clear that our idyllic world had been shattered by a tragedy. Chloe had been taken from us, her life cut short in a senseless accident.

The memories came flooding back, like a dam that had burst open. I remembered the day of the accident, the blaring sirens, the flashing lights, the shock and grief that had enveloped our family. I had lost not only my sister but also a part of myself. I had blamed myself for her death, though I couldn't remember why.

It was as if a heavy weight had been lifted from my spirit, and I felt an overwhelming need to make amends, to set things right. I had found my unfinished business, the reason I remained tethered to the world of the living.

Over the following weeks, I watched over the living members of my family, my parents who had grown old and frail, and my younger brother, Michael, who had been just a child when Chloe had died. I tried to communicate with them, to let them know that I was here, that I had not abandoned them. But no matter how hard I tried, they couldn't see or hear me. It was a tormenting existence, being so close yet so far from the ones I loved.

One night, as I stood in the shadows of my childhood home, I saw Michael in his room, tears streaming down his face as he looked at a photograph of Chloe. He whispered words of regret and longing, just as I had done countless times. It was then that I realized I had to find a way to reach him, to provide him with the closure and comfort he needed.

I began to experiment with my abilities, trying to manifest myself in a way that would be visible to the living. It was a slow and frustrating process, but with time and determination, I managed to create faint apparitions of myself. Michael began to notice these spectral images, fleeting glimpses of a figure in the corner of his eye, a whisper of a presence in the darkness.

As the days turned into months, Michael's fascination with the supernatural grew, and he began to conduct séances and experiments to communicate with the other side. I watched as he brought in mediums and conducted rituals, all in the hope of reaching out to Chloe's spirit. He didn't know that I was the one trying to reach him, that I was the one who had been watching over him all this time.

One evening, during a particularly intense séance, I managed to communicate with Michael in a way that couldn't be ignored. I appeared before him as a faint, ghostly figure, my outline shimmering in the dim candlelight. He gasped in surprise, his eyes widening in disbelief.

"Chloe?" he whispered, his voice trembling.

I nodded, my incorporeal form unable to produce sound.

Tears welled up in Michael's eyes as he reached out a trembling hand, trying to touch me. His hand passed through mine, but I could see the hope and wonder in his gaze. He had finally made contact with his sister.

Over time, I perfected my ability to manifest myself more clearly, and I was able to communicate with Michael in a limited way. We devised a simple system of communication, where I would knock on walls to answer yes or no questions. It was a crude method, but it allowed me to convey my thoughts and feelings to him.

Michael and I spent countless hours together, talking about our shared memories of Chloe, sharing stories and laughter. It was a bittersweet experience, being so close to the brother I had loved and yet unable to truly be with him.

As the days turned into weeks, Michael's obsession with the supernatural began to consume him. He stopped going to work, stopped seeing friends, and rarely left the house. He was determined to find a way to bring Chloe back to the living world, to reunite our family.

I watched with growing concern as he delved deeper into the world of the occult, conducting dangerous rituals and summoning entities from the other side. It was clear that he was willing to do anything to see his sister again, even if it meant risking his own life.

One fateful night, as a violent storm raged outside, Michael attempted a risky séance, invoking powerful forces he did not fully understand. I tried to warn him, to communicate the danger, but my spectral form was too weak to reach him. As he chanted incantations and lit candles, the room filled with an eerie energy, and a portal to the other side began to open.

I watched in horror as a malevolent spirit, drawn by the power of the ritual, emerged from the portal. It was a twisted, shadowy figure, its eyes filled with malice. It lashed out at Michael, who had become its unwitting conduit, and he screamed in pain and terror.

In that moment, I knew that I had to intervene, to protect my brother from the vengeful spirit that threatened to consume him. With all the strength I could muster, I pushed myself between Michael and the malevolent entity, a blinding burst of light emanating from my spectral form.

The entity recoiled in agony, its sinister presence fading as it was banished back to the other side. Michael, dazed and confused, collapsed to the floor, safe but shaken.

As the storm outside raged on, I watched over my brother, my heart heavy with the knowledge that I had saved him at the cost of my own existence. I felt myself fading, my connection to the living world slipping away. But I had no regrets. I had fulfilled my unfinished business, protecting the one I loved most.

As I finally passed into the realm of the afterlife, I felt a profound sense of peace. I had found closure and, in doing so, had also helped my brother find his own. It was a bittersweet ending to my ghostly existence, but it was an ending that felt right, a resolution to the unfinished business that had bound me to the world of the living.

And so, as the storm raged on outside, I let go of the world I had known and moved on to whatever lay beyond, content in the knowledge that I had found my purpose and, in the end, had found a way to protect and watch over my family, even in death.

October 22, 2023 01:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Hannah Lynn
02:35 Nov 02, 2023

I enjoyed your story. Definitely scary points to it! Sometimes we are better off letting things be but it’s hard when we want answers and miss those who have passed on.

Reply

Joseph Gozum
02:19 Nov 03, 2023

Thank you for reading my story, and I appreciate your comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A. M. Conger
22:14 Nov 01, 2023

Great use of punctuation. It made the reading smooth and enjoyable. Loved the tempo. Perfect.

Reply

Joseph Gozum
02:21 Nov 03, 2023

You have an editor's eye. Thank You for your comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.