The Evolution of Destiny

Written in response to: Write a story where fortune doesn’t favor the brave.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Creative Nonfiction Speculative


    “Noel Coward? His name was Noel Howard. He was someone that worked on the movie, Lawrence of Arabia. Where did you get the idea his name was Noel Coward?

    You have never read the story of Noel Coward, the anti-war feminist who led the resistance of the Colon area of France during WWII?”

    “Can’t say that I have.”

*

    I am always surprised by the lack of history people have been exposed to. The majority of history is exploited for purposes of exciting those that consume its contradictions. It becomes a means of enhancing a philosophy and image of a person or country when portraying the evidence necessary to prove an assumption. Children through history are exposed to brand name characters who further a belief that legitimizes a popular historical mood that is or has become part of a countries personality. History it is stated, is a way of acknowledging the mistakes of the past in order to keep from repeating them. The concept routinely fails because those who become an identifiable part of history believe they are not capable of making mistakes, losing.

    Here in America we have heroes; Abraham Lincoln, the Roosevelts, Kennedy’s, Davy Crockett, Martin Luther King, people who have left an impact that moved the country in a particular direction. Every country has its heroes, the villains that stand out in the history books do so because of what they have contributed to the detriment of the image of a country or world.

    People like Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, all recognizable historical figures, labeled dictators because they succumbed to an inner voice that told them they, and only they, could save their country, the world, and become the most powerful individual on earth. It is not a new delusion. It has been revised over time, but the results are the same, suffering and death, the God complex.

    It is a basic tenant of human beings to resist domination. We for the most part live by the premise that all people are created equal, and are free to determine their own destiny. There will always be those who will deny liberty and destiny to others, believing they are incapable of sustaining their own destiny. 

     The differing philosophies and values result in wars dedicated to domination or extinction, whichever is less of a threat to delusion or superiority. What has become more evident over time, when evaluating the history and success of domination, is that it eventually fails. It is in that interim however that chaos reigns and suffering is magnified.

    Throughout history vast numbers of people have been subjected to political subservience. Few leaders have refused to listen to the voice in their head that claims they alone have the one true solution to everyone’s problems. The largess of evolutionary entitlement is displayed by those who believe they are the one who has the ear of God, and therefore should not be challenged. We have periodically been exposed to the arrogance of a single individual, who was allowed by social apathy to attain the supreme power of a God.

     The irony of dominance and superiority, is that the populace who instills power by refusing to become involved in their own destinies, are the ones that reap the destruction of their societies.

    There is a communal response to domination that is made up of individual demands to be free of its reach. Not becoming aware, leaves the opportunity to rule in the hands of a few. That is where the danger lay.

    We tend to forget about the dominant societies of the world and what has become of them. The Aztecs, Romans, Nazis, and endless others, all powers that have disappeared like smoke.

    “Where have all the flowers gone?”

    Benevolence is rewarded, but regretfully, posthumously. We have a difficult time recognizing and emulating humanitarian efforts as they are carried out without the use of power and suppression. Our attention is drawn to the discomfort of bombs, while the prayers of those affected by dictatorships go unheard.

    Singular efforts to dominate thought and action begin locally, and spread to national and eventually global arenas, where the ultimate goal is power. There is only so much pleasure and comfort money can buy; power becomes the ultimate high. Those who peruse this route and those that enable them directly by action, or indirectly by inaction, find themselves historically isolated in a realm occupied only by others like themselves and the malevolent entity, the devil.

    Presently the example of individual power is evident. Those who follow the path of dominance choose not to remember the fate of all the others that had followed that path. They have forgotten the untold numbers who came before them, who disappeared from a present, only to become a reviled page of their own history. Remember Rasputin, remember the Romanovs, remember the collapse of colonial systems throughout history, gone to forgotten graves everyone; their paths paved over by those seeking the power and dominance that eluded their predecessors. 

   “When will they ever learn?” the lyric that should remind us daily, as we allow the fervor of power to fester on our doorsteps and throughout the world without objection. Personal power, disguised as societal representation, is the repeated drum beat. Generations have allowed that drum beat to amass the populace necessary to unleash its dominance, in the name of a God endowed superiority.

    Those that have fallen under the spell of superiority should be reminded that if their philosophies are adopted, they will be governed by their own rules. When they fail to be of use, they will become subjects of their own beliefs. The snake can have only one head, and its nature directs it to attack any and all distractions, including its own tail. 

    When we are informed by presumption that there is only one path to Nirvana, and only one person capable to show us the way, for an undetermined fee of course, we should take notice and attempt to block out that voice in our head that preaches peace and prosperity, while carrying a road map to domination. 

    The Great Equalizer, death, visits us all. It can be argued it comes too late for some, but it does come, limiting the damage each of us is capable of. Injustice comes from the fact that a life cannot be replaced once it is lost. Justice cannot be satisfied by the demise of one person, or a cadre of followers. Injustice is only rectified by the individual realization that one person, in conjunction with billions of others of a similar philosophy, can put an end to the injustice by recognizing their role in allowing it to prevail, and preventing its continuance.            

March 01, 2022 16:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.