More Than Just Friends

Submitted into Contest #40 in response to: Write a story about two people who meet and become instant friends.... view prompt

0 comments

Kids

It was my freshman year of high school and it was difficult. I had some friends but none of them that were super close. I always knew that it was hard for me to make friends, so this year was going to be extra difficult since it was a new school and some of my friends had gone elsewhere and the ones I did have were going to make new ones. The year went by, it was over before I knew it and I started making friends or people that I could talk to and go to for help with school work. A week after school is out my dad lets me know that we are moving because of his job and that they needed him to relocate. I was devastated. I couldn’t believe it. I kept complaining and telling my dad that I didn’t want to go but he said we had to and that it was final. I was mad but I finally gave in and said it was ok because it was the best for our family and it was the best opportunity for my dad. The whole summer we spent packing and unpacking our belongings, moving furniture from one house to the other. It really only took about a full month but it felt like it took a couple of years. We spent about half of July getting our house set up and making it feel like home as much as possible. The second half of July I just spent in my room bored playing video games with a couple of friends from my old school. They always asked me how it was and if I liked the place. I always told them I don’t even know, I guess it is kind of cool. They would say that I was just lying and it was probably the best place ever. I told them yeah it might be but I don’t really care, it is not the same. I just want to go back home. As I spent the last couple of weeks during my summer vacation cooped up in my bedroom, school started creeping up on me very quickly. Before I knew it or even realized it was the last of a couple of days of the summer and I needed new clothes and school equipment quick and fast. I told my mom and she said that we would have to go to the mall for our school clothes. The next day we went to the mall and I got everything I needed. It took me and my sister about 2 hours but we were finally done with our school clothes shopping. All we needed left was our shoes. As we were walking out of the last store walking towards the shoe store, I caught a glimpse of a group of kids that looked to be my age. Apparently my mom caught me staring at the and inferred that I should introduce myself and talk to them so maybe I can have some new friends before school even started. I looked at them and told her I don’t want to mom, I’ll be fine and make some friends when the time comes. There was one person from that group that really did catch my eye, it was a beautiful brown curly haired brown eyed girl. She was one of the most beautiful girls I had seen even from my school last year but I didn’t want to go up to them because I was scared and shy. Also it seemed like she had a boyfriend because I think he caught me looking at her and quickly grabbed her closer to him and gave her a kiss. As the last couple of days of my summer flew by the first day of school was in sight. I always thought about what would have happened if I just went up to the and introduced myself but I just ended up letting it go because I knew I would have to make friends eventually. The day before my first day of school, I stayed up almost all night thinking about how it was going to be and what the school was like. When I woke up that morning for my first day of school I woke up with a shot of energy, like I was ready to take on anything. I ate breakfast and then got ready for school. When my mom was ready to take me I suddenly panicked and got scared. I was nervous and my anxiety spiked up like crazy. My mom noticed and asked if everything was ok. I tried my best to lie and tell her everything was fine but she knew immediately that I wasn’t. What can I say, momma knows best. She kept talking to me and trying to keep me calm that everything was going to be fine and I would have an amazing first day of school. Before I left I told her thank you and gave her a hug and a kiss goodbye. After that moment everything became instantly scary. I was lost and confused trying to find my classes around campus but I was too scared to ask anyone for help. At lunch I decided to sit alone because I didn't want to try and talk to anyone. After lunch going to my sixth period class a great came up to me from behind and asked if I was the new kid. I turned around to see that same beautiful brown curly haired brown eyed girl that I saw from the mall. I couldn’t believe it that she was talking to me. I finally managed to let out an answer and said yes. She said that it was nice to meet her and her name was Sara Cameron. I told her my name was Cody Smith. She then asked if I needed help finding my next class and I told her yeah, could you help me she. She said of course let me see your schedule. She glanced at it quickly and said oh that's cool. It looks like we have the same class. She then said come on follow me I'll walk you there and if we are lucky enough we can even get a seat together. As we entered the classroom we found two empty seats right by each other and sat down in them. She told me that this must be a sign and I think we should become friends. I told her thanks for everything but are you sure that would be a good idea. She looked at me confused and I told her my bad. It is just that I saw you at the mall about a week ago with some guy I’m assuming is your boyfriend. I just don’t want to cause trouble because most guys don’t exactly want their girlfriends to have any friends that are guys. She told me oh you mean John, well you don’t have to worry about him. We broke up a couple of days ago. I promise everything is fine. Ok then as long as we don’t start any trouble because I have a good feeling about us and our friendship. She told me what do you mean. I said I don’t exactly know but there is just something about you that is really cool and awesome. She responded and said oh so you think we can become best friends. And I said yeah we can definitely become best friends. As the class ended she helped me out to find my last class of the day and as we went to our next class she told me something I will never forget, to a friendship of a lifetime. I said I will see you around Sarah Cameron. She told me until tomorrow Cody Smith. That ended being the best first day of school ever and me and Sarah became such great friends having the best school year ever.


May 09, 2020 02:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.