Citrine Union

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story that takes place in the woods.... view prompt

2 comments

Mystery

It must be here somewhere...

Parting the clusters of wildflowers, her gaze darted into the spaces between them. Sea green eyes scanned the path for a glimmer of orange. Nothing... How can it just disappear? That bracelet is the only thing I have left of mom... I must find it.


23-year-old artist, Selene Wilde, strolled in the woods as she did every morning. A year ago it became part of her daily routine. Sturdy trees stood tall and firm like an army of emerald sentinels watching her as she traipsed along the path in their territory. Slim, reddish-brown barks soared to the heavens. The gaps between them revealed patches of the dawn sky.

The awakening sun highlighted a sea of emerald-gold patched with lime and olive shades laced with chocolate and sandy browns. The lush, dew-soaked forest floor gave off a clean, organic scent. The sun painted it a refreshing lime-yellow, invoking a deep desire to lay on it while losing oneself in the visible bits of soothing blue sky.

She admired the small clusters of tiny, starry-shaped white flowers twinkling among the deep emerald foliage. Luxurious carpets of bluebells stretched across the forest floor creating a magical atmosphere. Heart-shaped leaves supported lavender and white violets. Large clusters of sunny merrybells with elegant grass-green leaves revealed shades of fresh lime where sunlight chose to grace them.

Chest rising and falling deeply, her lungs filled with the pure forest perfume of pinewood, damp earth, sweet floral notes, fresh grass and abundant foliage. Savoring the moment, she closed her eyes as her tongue felt like sweet nectar rolled around it and moved down her throat. Gentle birdsong broke the silence, heralding in the new day. The pitch and tone of the superstar birds flitting among or resting on the trees were the first to bring the abundant forest to life. Not too far away, but out of sight, her ears caught the silver tinkling of a spring or lake as it flowed over rocks. The best and most inspiring artist is definitely nature. This place is a tonic for my soul. She thought as she relished the forest with all her senses.


A little later, humming the tune of her favorite song, she headed back home. I'm wide awake and ready for a day of painting. As she thought about her day ahead in a blissful mood, her fingers automatically reached for the bracelet. She always wore it. The familiar roughness of the raw citrine crystals made the corners of her lips curve up fondly as visions of her mother filled her consciousness.


"This is for you, Selene." Mom held up the pretty piece of jewellery as she glowed with satisfaction at the success of her work. "Let me put it on for you." Selene looked up from the art project she was working on for school as mom stood slightly behind her and attached the bracelet to her right wrist. Her face lit up as she lifted her hand to admire it closely.

"It's beautiful, mom. Thank you!"

"It will boost your creativity, sweety. It's not just a normal piece of jewellery. Crystals have their own benefits." Mom's obsidian eyes lit up and her cheeks flushed when she talked about crystals. "Remember it."

Selene barely heard her as she admired mom's wonderful skill displayed on her wrist. She dipped her head slightly "I will always treasure it." She giggled at her mom's enthusiasm. "Hands down you're the crystals expert!" Both laughed and shared a moment as mom back hugged Selene.


The warmth of soft skin instead of crystals abruptly pulled her back to reality and the present moment. Looking at her wrist her eyes widened. For a moment her mind went blank. She tilted her head and her eyebrows knitted together as she exhaled forcefully. Oh no! My bracelet! Without a second thought she dashed back into the forest. I always wear it. Maybe it fell somewhere on the path. Parting the wildflowers and thickets of ferns to look between them, she scanned the path and dense forest floor too.

Not even a tiny gleam of orange.. Where could it be? Her heart sank as she swallowed a lump in her throat and brushed at her eyes when her vision became a little watery. I feel close to mom when I wear it. I must find it! But how? She looked helplessly all around her.The forest is huge. If I go deeper in, I might get lost. But the bracelet.... How could it disappear so quickly?

Her legs gave way. The soft forest floor beneath her formed a seat while the firm pine bark supported her back. Absent-mindedly pulling her cheeks, a childhood habit she carried into her adult years whenever she was frustrated or thinking deeply, she gulped the forest scents and weighed her options. I'm in a forest. What can I do? I've never seen anyone here before... She thought for a while. ...except the man I see everyday going out of the forest when I enter it! Maybe he takes morning walks here just like me. Could he have taken it? A gust of air escaped her lips as she crossed her arms. What do I do now?


As if he could read her mind, that same stranger appeared before her. Deeply lost in thought she slowly became aware of his presence along her peripheral view. Jerking her head upwards she rose swiftly and faced him. Her heart lurched and she thought it would pop right out of her chest in that moment. "Where did you come from?!"


The man was dressed in old western style complete with the hat and neck scarf. Selene noticed that his eyes were the same colour as hers. Fully aware that she couldn't just accuse someone of stealing even though that was her first instinct when she saw him, she opened her mouth to ask politely if he saw her bracelet or heard anythIng related to it but she was interrupted before speaking. Not uttering a single word the man jerked his head towards the deeper parts of the forest. She blinked and tilted her head. He repeated the gesture. "You want me to go in there?" She pointed in the direction he indicated. He looked directly at her; piercing her with his gaze and glided in that direction.

Selene chewed her lower lip and stared after him. What's going on here? She peered into the gloom of the denser regions of the forest. I never dared to go deeper in before. Now he wants me to go in there? Who is he? Why didn't he speak? She trembled as if an icy breeze cloaked her and an icy fist enclosed her heart. Should I go? She placed one foot forward towards the suggested path then stopped in her tracks. But it's so dark in there. What will I find? I don't know if I can... What if I get lost? What if I can't find my way back home? She shuddered and felt so helpless and alone. I am terrified right now.


Fear of the unknown and phobia of the dark paralyzed her and made her think twice. If I go, I might find my bracelet but who knows what else I'll find there? What if that man is part of something dangerous? What if I get killed in there? Why does he want me to go deeper in than I've ever went before?

Selene stared into the darkness ahead of her. She wished it was all only a nightmare. But that was futile thinking and she knew it. The man appeared again and beckoned to her. He jerked his head more urgently this time, indicating for her to follow. When she hesitated, he jabbed his finger repeatedly in the air in front of the intended direction - clearly showing the way.

Why is he doing that? Her fear gradually turned to curiosity as the stranger insisted. Maybe he really knows where I can find it. Her desire to retrieve her precious lost item won over her fears. Back straight and taking a deep breath she strode into the darkness without turning her head once.


The gloom is not so gloomy after all. In this part of the forest the trees were more dense but tiny gaps let in slivers of light. Selene placed one foot in front of the other until she felt like she was going on forever. Where does this lead? And where is he? Her heart drummed so hard in her chest she wondered if the whole forest could hear it. Seriously, what am I doing here? When her legs felt like lead and it became an effort to step forward, he appeared in front of her again with his urgent plea. "Tell me what's so important about this? Are you taking me to my bracelet? Do you know where it is?"

His uncanny silence spooked her more. I can't believe that I listened to a complete stranger just to get the bracelet back. Her mouth formed a thin firm line as she moved forward with renewed purpose. For that it's worth it. After what seemed an eternity of walking, she saw a clearing ahead of her. As she approached it, her gaze found a cozy little cottage in the centre of the clearing. Though her legs were aching she quickened her steps as curiosity and wonder filled her. Who could be living here?

The cottage was built of pinewood and it's style was modern. She admired it's beauty. A gorgeous garden surrounded it filling the air with the aromatic fragrances of herbs and flowers. The strange man who had been her guide to that place appeared before her. A satisfied smile graced his features. He nodded once and before she could look up and say anything to him, he was gone. Who is he...? She pondered. Even while leading me here he moved as one with nature so that I couldn't see him most of the time. Still thinking about him, she knocked on the wooden entrance door

No answer. She wished only to get her bracelet back and resume her normal life and her work. Selene knocked again, this time abruptly and a little louder. Still no one came. She frowned. Why did he lead me here if no one's home? She huffed and turned to leave when she heard it.

A soft murmur seemed to be coming from the back of the house. Following the sound Selene found a figure in a beautiful, flowing lavender dress. With her mouth forming an "o" she watched the woman curiously.

"Oh..." she breathed.

Slim and tall, the woman moved around elegantly as she performed what looked like a nature ritual. She was surrounded by offerings of flowers and herbs with candles lit between them. So enchanting. Selene stared, mesmerized. She'd never seen rituals before and she assumed they were bad. The lady chanted and sang sweetly and gently. This continued for some time. Selene waited patiently, respecting her custom. She watched how she gave thanks to nature and reconnected with it. This is amazing and it feels good.


The woman was aware of her presence but she wouldn't disturb her ritual. Leaving the candles to burn, she stepped out of the circle. Looking at Selene she smiled warmly.

"Welcome Selene. I've been expecting you."

Selene blinked. Why do her words feel so ominous?

"Excuse me?" She asked. "Uh... thank you for welcoming me and sorry to disturb you, but I was wondering if... " Her words were cut off as the woman held out the citrine bracelet towards her.

"You've been looking for this." It wasn't a question. Selene saw the knowing look in her eyes.

"My bracelet! How did you know? Did you take it? She trembled, unsure whether from excitement or terror.


The woman laughed, a melodious tune almost like she's singing.

"Take it? No child. I didn't take it. But I do know it. This bracelet has led you to me, Selene, and we must speak."

Selene didn't understand. "Speak about what? How do you know my name? We've never met. I just want my bracelet and to go home. It's been a long day and it's already noon."

The graceful lady smiled as she spoke each word slowly- "Yes... I know you.. Selene." Her tone aroused the younger woman's curiosity but she hesitated. Sea green eyes met hazel eyes. One wary; one mildly amused. "You might want to know about your mother and what happened to her that day." She ambled into her house, her words an echo in Selene's mind.

What could this mysterious woman know about mom? Who is she? Suspicion and curiosity chased each other inside her head. Curiosity won and she went inside the cottage.


"Sit and be comfortable." The woman chimed as she poured tea into two cups and handed one of the them to Selene. "What I'm about to say might shock the life out of you."

Goosebumps formed on Selene's skin as her heart threatened to jump out of her chest. Butterflies in her stomach didn't make it easier either. She shifted her weight and position repeatedly.

Finally the lavender-clad woman spoke. Deliberately slow and clear, she made sure that Selene heard every word. Her gaze didn't leave the younger woman.

"I'm Rhéa, a white witch as you might have guessed from what you saw in my backyard a while ago and I'm your aunt."

"W-Witch...? M-My aunt....?" Selene managed.

Rhéa nodded- Yes. I know all this is confusing to you. But hear me out, okay? Your parents wanted you to have a happy and normal life. That's why they didn't tell you. They entrusted me to tell you in the right time. I didn't know how or where to meet you but unexpectedly today the stars and planets have favoured us and the bracelet came to me. It was lying on the ground on the forest path. An animal found it and brought it to me. I was surprised and mystified as to how it ended up here but then I realized that you must be near too. Originally I decided to go find you. Then I realized that you'd definitely come here searching for it. The man who led you to me is no stranger. He knows... knew... you but you don't know him. He's... the spirit of your father, Selene."


Shock hit her like falling rocks thrown by battle-ready giant trolls from fantasy novels: her "go-to" activity when she took a break from painting. "The spirit of my father...? He died when I was 2. What was he doing here? Did something happen in this forest to keep him here?"

Rhéa lifted her shoulders abruptly and let them relax again. "I don't know Selene. It could be anything - to guide you to me, to protect you, to watch over you. His death wasn't an accident. It was staged by your other aunt: the dark witch in our family... I'll tell you about that another time." She continued, pausing only to moisten her throat with a sip of her tea "You know that your mother died of a disease when you were 16. The disease weakened her. It was not natural. She was cursed by our other sister. Your mother suffered more than she showed in front of you. I don't know all the details yet but I will find out one day. All I know so far is that she was harmed out of jealousy. I think it might be more than that though."


Selene's eyes didn't leave the lady who called herself her aunt. She hung on every word though her brain screamed at her to walk out. Witches don't exist. This is stuff we read about in our favorite novels. Then the conflicting thoughts. But... if she's really my aunt, I won't be out here alone anymore.


Rhéa watched her niece and smiled. "I can only imagine how difficult your life must have become after the tragedy which took your mother away from you. There aren't any words I can offer to comfort you. Her death tore me apart too. You and I have that in common to begin with. You're half-witch, Selene. You have the abilities if you choose to use them. I will teach you all I know but only with your consent of course. I will not force it on you. I'll say only this: there are two types of witches, white and dark. White witches heal and help others. We flow with the world and are close to nature, keeping everything balanced. We don't try to change anyone or influence any situation. That disrupts the natural flow. Dark witches are just more self-serving. If they get offended they act on it by taking revenge, cursing and sometimes really harming others. But remember this: Power itself is not good or evil. It can't be classed or distinguished or labeled as such. It depends on the person or people who use it. We always have choices. Now feel for yourself if everything I said is true or not. Do you believe me? 


Selene listened intently as her eyes fell on the precious piece of jewellery her mom made with her own hands for her and she fingered it affectionately. By the time Rhéa finished speaking, she threw her arms around the older woman's neck as tears rolled down her cheeks. "Aunt! I believe you and mom and dad." 


April 18, 2020 03:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Kathleen Jones
18:15 Apr 18, 2020

This story sounds like a great beginning for a book!

Reply

Naomi Lee
08:38 Aug 03, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.