Don't forget to say hello!

Submitted into Contest #40 in response to: Write a story about two people who meet and become instant friends.... view prompt

0 comments

Kids

It was late, but that didn't matter. I had no one to answer to nowhere to go all was different since Covid-19 pandemic. I didn't have much of a social life except for work, anyways. I was getting used to linving a quiet life. I hd moved to Vancouver, BC ten years ago. To make a long story short I needed a new beginning, bet you never heard that before. The last social event I attended was my last shift worked at BC Place, for the Rugby Sevens as a server. The next day I received an evmail stating due to a Covid-19 virus. The Canadian Government was shutting down all non-essential services, in the City. It wasn't just Canada it was every country. A virus that was killing thousands of people a day, it was like a movie. I never thought I would experience anything like this. My eyes were glued to the news for the first two weeks. We were being instructed to stand two meters apart from anyone that did not live in your household, wearing a mask when out in public, how we were to wash our hands and for how long, in order to get germs off. All schools were shut down immediately, all major sporting events cancelled, such as NHL hockey, just before the Stanley Cup playoffs. For a true Canadian girl that grew up watching hockey, I never thought this would ever happen in my lifetime. This is when I knew it was real. It was like a movie, and I was watching all of them on Netflix, my new bestfriend.

So far I wasn't panicking, I like everyone else was following our Governments lead and staying calm. Having a lot of faith in knowing everything was going to go back to normal. Though it would take time to rebuild financially.


During this time, I went to bed later and woke up later. Trying to fill the space of regular Yoga classes, hikes and visits to the library. So like I said I watched a lot of movies on pandemics. I was amazed at how many movies on the end of the world due to a pandemic there were. It was like when I went on a cruise for the first time, and the only movie that played over and over was "Titanic"

I was a lone and din't wonder much aobut he inevitable. I realized that most of the people in the building I lived in were single, or they appeared to be. I rarely saw two people at once. Since this the lockdown, I didn't really see anyone at all, until this sunny morning.


It was Friday morning wheni had run in to a neighbour I had never seen before today


"Hello" I said


"Hello" she said


" I believe we are still allowed to say hello to people, no rules on friendliness during this pandemic?" I let out a little chuckle as I went to get my mail and she stood 2meters from me waiting for the elevator.

She smiled, and I noticed tears well up in her eyes. She quickly explained.

"I am sorry, you are the first person that has said hello to me, other than the grocery clerk in over a month" "My name is Ally, I only moved her three months ago and this happened" "I haven't seen you before, thank you for saying hello" she seemed happier after blurting all that out.

"Hey no worries, these are trying times for all of us. I haven't seen anyone around the building, since this virus broke out and it is understandable""But hey this virus can't stop us from being friendly, can it?" I laughed.

She was a little more reserved than myself, but I laughed after most of the things I said, so people didn't take me too serious.

She smiled, "Nice, I haven't met anyone like you before, that is really refreshing" " Maybe some people find it hard to say hello with these masks on" she said as she was pointing to her mask.

"Yes, I suppose I love your mask did you make it?" she nodded. "Are you a Whitecaps fan?" referring to my mask.

"Yes I am, plus it is for a good cause, saving the aquarium", our City Soccer team came up with an idea to save the Aquarium on the verge of being shut down for good due to Covid-19.

"So what have you been doing since the lockdown?" she asked as we both waited for the elevator now.

"Not a lot, I am usually out of the house by ten in the morning. Now I am trying to sleep until ten. Get a work out in. Writing a journal. Cooking a lot. Taking three walks a day, and most important, catching up on advice from Justin". Justin Trudaue is the Prime Minister of Canada, he is younger than myself, so I take to calling him by his first name. I would not do that to his face. He is a good leader, calm and seems to be doing a good job in keeping us Canadians calm. We love him, how can you not like a leader with the same name as Justin Timberlake, a man that wants to bring sexy back. I am an artist so combining Politics and Artists makes it all more interesting for me. As I started to drift off, singing JT in my head. "So what have you been doing?"

The elevator came and she let the door close again. "Are you in a rush?" she asked. I shook my head. She continued on, "I have been doing pretty much the same as you, staying healthy. "Trying not to panic" she said with a smile."Are you interested in walking together sometime?"

I nodded, "Yes that would be great,we can take walks six feet apart" "Maybe we can use walkie talkies, so we can hear eachother and refrain from speaking moistly on one another" she bent over at the waist and started to laugh uncontrollably. I couldn't help laughing at that as well. I knew she would know what I was referring to. Let me explain, our PM Justin used that phrase, "Speaking moistly on one another", trying to express why it was important for us to wearr a mask, and not spread germs on one another. Oh we love him and love that is "human" and not just a robotic politial leader. If you can't laugh at yourself, your a gonner, before any virus could take you away.


This is when I realized Ally was a nice person to talk to and there was no harm in making a friend in the building. Who knew, maybe once this was all over we could hang out.

"Do you have a cell on you? I will give you my number, text me anytime" "I didn't get your name" she said as we both stepped in to the elevator this time.

"It's Journey, she whispered "so beautiful" I started to explain, "Long story, I will fill you in on one of our walks"

"I will text you, possibly walk on my afternoon walk, or whatever suits you" I didn't want to be bossy.

"That would be great, we can figure it out as we go" she said. I was really impressed with Ally. I liked her quiet, but friendly demeanor. It was nice getting to know someone. It was going to be nice to make a friend, through this pandemic that seemed to be setting us people apart from one another. She took out her keys and we both stepped in to the elevator. She pushed the ninth floor, she waited for me to push my floor.

I raised my eyebrows, "Looks like we are going to the same place, I am in 910, you?"

She laughed, "I am in 909"

We shook our heads in disbelief. I guess we were going to be more than just isolation friends. I guess there is a plan for all of us. There is that old saying, "Everyone crosses eachother's path for a reason" As we stepped out of the elevator and headed to our doors. We fist pumped for six feet away and smiled at one another.

"I'm really glad you said hello" she said.

"Me too, see you later" I smiled again.

And with taht we went to our isolation cells :) I walked over to my laptop and started to write a new story.

Happy times!


The End
































May 07, 2020 04:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.