5 comments

Fiction Mystery Suspense

The sun pierces through the crack in my dark turquoise curtains and burn holes into my eyelids. I scrunch my eyes and turn to my side, away from the sun. The clock reads 6:35am. I roll out of bed and smack my head into the corner of my bedside table. “Fuck!” I sit up and hold my head in pain but still have go to the hospital. I cover my eyes, laying on the antique wooden floor as I let out an exasperated sigh. I crawl off the floor after my cat comes yelling at my face. “I get it! When are you not hungry?” The automatic food dispenser goes off and releases a cup of dry food. It’s 6:40 am. The dryer only has one last pair of leggings and a t-shirt, with a sweatshirt over it, I’ll be fine. The smell of coffee streams in as soon as I open the bedroom door. Following the smell, is the sound of the droplets falling into the mug. I collect the mug and dump it into a tumbler and place it on the counter, next to my keys. I pull my socks on as I brush my teeth, then comb through my hair with my fingers before putting it up in a bun. I climb into my car juggling a coffee, a bagel, my keys and badge. I check my watch 7:12am. I throw everything into the passenger seat and turn the car on. Only after the first stoplight do I realize some of my coffee is dripping onto the seat beside me. I reach to grab it and my bagel and I feel my car start to slowly move. I jump back up and slam on the break. Thankfully, I’ve learned by now and stop a few feet away from a car just in case. I take a sip of my creamy coffee and take a bite out of my plain bagel. I should pick up cream cheese when I get off, whenever that is. The light turns green and I enter the campus.

I walk into the locker room on the Ground floor and open my locker. I forgot to check out scrubs again. I look at the clock, 7:45am. I have a presentation in 15 minutes. I grab my white coat and run up to the second floor to check out a pair of small scrubs, men’s of course, they’re way more comfortable. I run down the hall looking for a place to change quickly and that’s when I see it. I lock myself in the lactation room, next to the breakroom and change into the wrinkly scrubs and throw my coat on. I put my badge-wait where’s my badge? I look at my watch, it’s 7:58am. Oh well, I’ll have one of my residents unlock the door for me. I make my way to the Lecture Hall, through the “hidden” units. Thankfully I ran into some residents that were running late to the lecture and casually walked with them keeping light conversation. The lecture amphitheater is as packed as always. I leave the residents I walked in with to stand in the back, as I make my way up to the podium. “Good morning, my name is Sarah Gibson. As you know, I’m here to talk about a rare genetic condition known as Fatal Familial Insomnia.” I plug my drive into the laptop connected to the projector behind me and click on the picture of the microscopic findings from the Autopsy of this decedent. “Here we have a decedent who passed away 2 months ago. Her Autopsy was performed here. My colleagues and I looked over the case and found something very interesting. As you see in the pocket to the top right of the specimen taken from-“I’m interrupted by someone slamming the door open. “Dr. Gibson? May we speak to you in private?”. The police. That can only mean one thing. “I’m in the middle of a lecture, can this wait?” I groan. “I’m afraid not Dr. Gibson, he grows closer the more time we waste.” Officer Liam stresses. “I’m afraid I will have to reschedule this lecture, I apologize for wasting your time today, but will hope you all attend the next lecture, as it is guaranteed to be spectacular.” I announce to the room of doctors as I collect my belongings and make my way to the back of the lecture hall to meet the officers. After ushering the 3 officers into my office on the 4th floor the first one, Liam speaks up “Unfortunately, it seems your father has escaped from prison again. Reports from locals point sightings of him getting closer and closer to the area, so we will have to keep you under protection. Please cancel and reschedule any lectures or surgeries you may have for the next week, until we apprehend him once again.” Words I’ve grown accustomed to by now. “Did you have to interrupt my lecture and tell all my colleagues my private life? Last time it was a surgery, another during my rotations and even during my lunch!” Lieutenant Kendra speaks up this time as Liam steps back. “I apologize Sarah, but you know he is a dangerous man with many connections on the outside. We’re still working to find all his contacts and apprehend them. But for now, we are worried about your safety, so you must come with us. Not only for your safety, but for the patients you treat as well.” Kendra always knew how to phrase things to convince me to follow them. “Let me go change out of my scrubs” I sigh. They follow me down to the locker room, at least they give me privacy to change back into my clothes. As I pop my head out of my sweatshirt, a familiar face comes around the corner with a scalpel in one hand and my badge in another. How many times is my father going to try to take my life?

February 08, 2024 17:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Claire Trbovic
18:00 Feb 10, 2024

Ah that ending was excellent, the whole piece flowed so well it made the spice at the end even punchier, lovely job

Reply

Show 0 replies
Karen McDermott
17:30 Feb 10, 2024

Wow, what a morning!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ty Warmbrodt
09:25 Feb 12, 2024

Superb pacing into a satisfying finish that I didn't see coming. Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
16:00 Feb 11, 2024

This was a great read, Marina. I love the flow of the story. Welcome to Reedsy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tom Skye
22:51 Feb 10, 2024

This was a a great read. Regular first world problems morphing smoothly into a life threatening situation. The ending was quite chilling. And somehow it was all written in a voice that never took itself too seriously. Really interesting piece. Loved it. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.