4 comments

Coming of Age Contemporary Fiction

Lara knocked on her daughter Rachel’s bedroom door.

“Dinner’s ready, hon.”

Not hearing a reply, she pushed the door open to see Rachel on her bed staring at the ceiling. Her auburn hair flowed across the bedspread as if posed for a Pre-Raphaelite painting. She cradled her teddy bear in one arm.

“You okay Rach?”

“Perfect…”

“Big day tomorrow… I made your favorite. Everyone’s waiting to celebrate your last dinner as a single girl.”

Rachel looked at her. “What have I got myself into, mom? You have an escape hatch?”

“Oh…” Lara sat on the bed and touched Rachel’s hand. “Pre-wedding jitters? Something more serious? Is Chad…?”

“No, Chad’s jiggy. He can’t wait. It’s… How’d you feel when you and dad made the plunge?”

“I was a little older than you. Twenty-one. Our future before us. You thinking nineteen’s too young? Or…?”

“No… It’s everything. Look…” She gestured to her room. “This has always been my safe space. My home. I like it…”

“Oh, honey…” They looked at each other silently, past and future entwined. “You’ll always have a room. Sharing space with the right person isn’t so tough. You won’t be a guest. You’re a big girl. Make it your own… Think magical.”

“I don’t want to be a big girl… yet.” Rachel smiled and hugged her teddy bear. “What’s for dinner?”

“Lasagna. Getting cold. Come on…”

Rachel’s father, Earl, sat at the dining room table with Rachel’s little brother and sister.

“Sit still, Kay. Orin, have another celery stick. Wait. You wolfed them all. Here. Eat a breadstick.”

Orin smeared a glob of butter onto it and took a large bite.

Kay offered him her napkin. “Yuck! You’re chin’s got butter all over it…”

Lara entered with a flourish to announce Rachel’s entrance.

“Ta da!”

Earl clapped joined by the children who then broke into song.

“So long, fare well, auf…”

Earl said, “Hey!” He drew a finger across his throat.

“Rachel, Princess! You’re beautiful! Come sit. We’re starving, dear…”

“Deer? Is that short for ‘…in the headlights’?”

Rachel took in the scene and felt not the guest of honor, but the main course.

“Sit!”

Startled, Rachel dropped into her chair. Activity erupted as food was served. Earl passed lasagna laden plates to the kids. Cutlery clattered against plates. Orin said something through a mouth full of food.

Kay looked about. “It’s not Sunday. Why are we here?”

Lara said, “Your sister’s getting married tomorrow. Remember? You’re the ring bearer. This will be Rachel’s last meal with us… for a while.”

She raised her wine glass and clinked it with Earl’s and Rachel’s.

Kay turned to Rachel. “Can I go with?”

“Not this time, kiddo. I’ll be gone a few days – like a vacation…”

Kay turned to Orin. “See? I told you.”

“…Then I’ll move out…” She glanced at her mother. “…to meet my future.”

Orin shot back, “See? I told you.”

Kay raised her hand. “Dibs on her room!”

Orin shouted, “No! I get it.”

Rachel looked at them. “Wow! Miss me much?”

Kay said, “I’ll miss you. Can I have your posters?”

“Uhm… Sure.”

“I want Teddy too…”

Rachel balked. “You’re kidding, right? I’m not dead. I’m getting married.”

Orin drew the line. “You can’t get her room and her stuff, Kay. Back off.”

“My wedding means giving up Teddy?” Everyone looked but no one answered. “Call it off, then.”

Earl sighed. “Kay, I could swear we gave you a teddy bear. Like half a dozen...”

“But not Teddy. He’s the best.”

Lara said, “Relax everyone. Teddy is Rachel’s. He’s not for dibs. And you each have rooms. If you put your phones down, you’d notice.”

Orin mumbled, “Rachel has a better view.”

Earl said, “Since when do you care about views, Sport?”

“Since I live in a closet.”

Earl scoffed. “Let’s arrange a spacious place in the basement.  You can curl up by the furnace.”

Orin stared at his plate. “No…”

Kay mumbled, “Teddy’s getting left behind…”

Earl clapped. Everyone startled at the abrupt sound.

“Great food, Lara. You out did yourself. Right, kids?”

Everyone murmured thanks.

“Thanks, love…” Lara turned to Rachel. “How do you feel? Everything set?”

“I guess. Kay’s got her dress. I’ve got mine. Flowers due at nine. Heather’s wrangling everything. Just need to show up.”

Lara and Earl exchanged glances.

He said, “Big day tomorrow, Rachel… You sound under whelmed…”

She shrugged.

“Listen, kid. Do you even know this guy?”

“Chad.”      

“For what? Two months?”

“Years.”

“He have a last name?”

“Chad Harris, Dad. You know him. He came to dinner. You met his parents. Took him fishing.” She looked confused.

“Look, baby, stand up for yourself. In the army we trained with live ammo.”

“We don’t fight, Dad. I don’t need ‘ammo.’”

“You sure?”

Rachel rolled her eyes.

Orin aimed a finger at Kay and yelled, “Pow!”

She hit his arm. “Stop that!”

Lara asked, “You have plans for later?”

“Tonight? Yeah. Meeting the girls. Talk about tomorrow.”

Earl leaned in. “Bar hopping?”

“No, wine at Heather’s… for a toast.”

“You’re not old enough to drink.”

She emptied her glass. “I’m old enough to get married…”

“Who’s driving?”

“I can drive, Dad.”

“Not after drinking. Want you in one piece at the altar.”

Lara added, “And forever…” She sighed. Orin and Kay had tuned out. “You don’t want a hangover on your big day.”

Earl continued. “Will guys be there?” Rachel hesitated. “Not recommended the night before your wedding.”

Rachel shrank from their third degree. She tapped a staccato rhythm on her plate with her fork.

Earl addressed Lara. “Remember our wedding eve?” She nodded, embarrassed. Earl turned to Rachel. “Some guys tried to kidnap your mother.”

Lara shook her head. “What a drama.”

Earl continued. “Anyway, you don’t want to lose your virginity the night before. Or raise suspicions...”

“Dad!” Rachel had had enough. Her siblings perked up.

Kay said, “Don’t get lost in Virginia. Get a map. It’s a big state. Going there on your honeymoon?”

Orin said, “Clean out the back seat of your car. You might find it there.” He cracked himself up.

No one else laughed.

Rachel stood. “Thanks, Mom. Great food. I need to go.”

Lara touched her arm. “What’s wrong?”

“Really? First, I feel pushed to get married. These little vultures don’t help. And now you’re discouraging me. I can’t win.”

Her parents stared in wonderment. Lara stood and embraced Rachel. “We only want what’s best for you, Sweetheart.”

“You can start by not jerking me every which way.”

“Of course. Don’t mean too. Let’s dial things down a bit.”

Earl nodded.

Rachel said, “Or I’ll skip the wedding and move out. Just Teddy and me.”

Kay said, “No!”

“Rach, please. Don’t make any rash decisions. We all have the jitters. This only happens once.”

Rachel mumbled, “Hopefully…”

Kay’s fork clanked onto her plate.

She said, “I need to get married. I want to be a big girl. What’s a girl gotta do to get a freakin’ teddy bear?”

Orin and Earl burst into laughter. Rachel rolled her eyes.

Orin said, “You’re what? Ten?”

“And a half!”

“Good luck!” The doorbell rang. “I’ll get it!” Orin ran to the front.

Lara said, “Who could that be?”

They heard the door slam. Orin entered carrying a plush teddy bear. Everyone exchanged glances.

“Special delivery! For Rachel…”

He offered it to his sister, who took it and, shaking her head, opened the card. She began to laugh.

“It’s from Chad.” She offered the bear to Kay. “It’s for you!”

“Really? Yay!” Kay took the toy and held it close as she spun around. She stopped and looked at Rachel. “Is your wedding still off? I’ll take him…”

Rachel laughed and looked at her family. “Just take the bear, okay?”

December 15, 2023 22:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

20:02 Dec 16, 2023

Hey John. Nice dialogue here , very natural and believable. I'm wondering how it all goes... Rachel doesn't seem completely sold. Will she actually turn up?? Lol. Cheers for sharing I enjoyed it.

Reply

John K Adams
23:45 Dec 16, 2023

Thanks, Derrick! Yes, the choice between a known dysfunctional family or the unknown can be tough. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
13:50 Dec 16, 2023

🧸 Teddy bear kisses take all the tears away.

Reply

John K Adams
15:01 Dec 16, 2023

You've got that right! Thanks, Mary.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.