1 comment

Mystery

The bell rang and we all ran out. Sid and Ray had bought their pet to school without telling their parents! He was in Ray’s bag all day. Just as I was entering our hideout, Sid stopped me at the door. Behind him Ray and Tim burst into laughter. ‘What’s wrong man? Why won’t you let me in?’ I asked. Was something on my face? Food stuck in my teeth?

Suddenly goosebumps broke across my skin, as I felt a rather large and hairy leg on my forehead. ‘SPIDER! Get it of me!’ I screamt but no sound came out. My heart jumped and my vision blurred. Ray, Sid and Tim burst into peals of laughter at my plight. Tears rolled down my cheeks as a crowd gathered around to watch the spectacle that was me. ‘Come on Tony, it’s just a prank’ I heard before I passed out.


One week later

“Tony…” Dad called out as I was playing outside. “Time for dinner.” I picked up my football as I said goodbye to my friends and ran back home. I frowned as I stepped in and removed my muddy shoes. ‘Why had Dad called me today?’ He was seldom home these days, spending hours and hours holed up in his laboratory. Could it be because his ‘big invention’ was done?

Dad had been talking about this invention for a long time, saying things like ‘Be ready for the paparazzi, son, they are right around the corner’ Blah, Blah, Blah

But Dad’s craze for potions had taken a new turn when the state declared that 5 scientists could win a grand prize of a million quid, for their exemplary and innovative potions this year.

After dinner Dad sat back in his chair and looked at me through his tired eyes “Son, why don’t you come and see my lab? I reckon you would love it. All those potions would give anyone a thrill, especially the one where you could change into an animal and back within 5 minutes but of course it isn’t fully done yet. You see, the potion just needs…”

Changing into an animal? Interesting…Dad’s voice faded into the background as I thought of the perfect payback plan. I feigned boredom and let out a yawn, “Sorry Dad, I’m really tired. Do you mind if I go to bed?” I was going to get that potion tonight and give Ray, Tim and Sid a good scare tomorrow!

“Sure son,” Dad looked resigned but was quick to retreat to his lab.

I stayed up in my room, waiting. As soon as I heard Dad’s bedroom door lock into place, I grabbed a bag and black hoodie and opened my door with a creak. I felt a shiver run down my spine as I crept down the stairs one at a time. I almost tripped on my shoes as I headed for the main door. My heart pounded loudly in my ears as I maneuvered the front door open.

Dad’s lab was actually just a tiny outhouse at the back of our vast property. As I advanced towards the lab, I lifted the rug in front of the lab, and sure enough, there was the key. Looking around I reconsidered my situation. Should I even go in? If I get caught, then Dad would never trust me again. But I did want to scare Sid as much as he had scared me. Before I could chicken out, I opened the door and stepped in.

As I opened the door, the pungent odor of chemicals hit me. Fascinated by the sight of glass jars and scientific equipment, I took a few more steps inside. The large door slid shut behind me. I saw a green liquid on the mahogany table. What was that? My curiosity got the better of me and I moved to step closer but a note in Dad’s handwriting caught my eye.

CAUTION. BREWING POTION No-112098- Contains PARABEN.

One thing I learned growing up with a scientist dad was NEVER to mess with chemicals, especially paraben.

Countless potions blinked in the moonlight. A wide array of colors surrounded me. Each shelve was marked with little sticky notes - Hair growing potions, Anti- aging potions, Love potion and many more. At the end of the room, was the shelve I had been searching for, The New Inventions.

This shelve was much smaller than the others and held only a few vials of clear liquid.

The tall, brown stool creaked as I stood on my toes and stretched my arm above my head. Two identical vials stared back at me. Which one is the one I want? The potion towards the right had a hair floating in it, a bear’s hair probably. I nearly fell off the stool as I heard rustling inside the dark, dingy lab.

I grabbed the right vial. This must be it. It had to be it. Ha! This would give them a good scare.

As I pulled the vial towards me, I noticed a paper attached to it. Written in Dad’s handwriting the paper read- Consume 9 hours before desired effect.

Just in time! I shot back the liquid in the vial.

I creeped back into the house, tip-toed into my room and crawled into my bed.


The next morning, my alarm went off at 7. I reached out and shut it just as my Dad came in, “Tony, son, come on get up. Get ready for school.” As I shifted below my sheets to block the sunlight, the events of last night came back to me.

Why hadn’t I turned into animal yet? Hadn’t 9 hours passed already? I shot up in bed at this thought, not realizing Dad had entered my room, his back facing me as he picked up my clothes and threw them in the hamper. Dad turned around and stared at me. I saw his face transform from a look confusion to horror.

“Who a…are y…you?” Dad screamed. “Dad it’s me, Tony.” I squeaked out, had the potion worked after all? But what was wrong with my voice?  “But… but you’re a... a GIRL!!!


May 19, 2020 14:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Chhavi Sharma
14:41 May 25, 2020

Excellent write up!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.