0 comments

Science Fiction

At first there was nothing, not even the endless expanse of darkness that is supposed to come before an existence was created. There was nothing until.... there was something. The something coming in the form of several loud beeps, Sina knew they were beeps because that is what her programming told her. From the very moment that the small power button on her back was pushed, she had known everything, or at least everything the Scientists wanted her to know. Opening her eyes, she smiled, the metal rods in her face rubbed against each other as they moved, causing a loud metallic screech to echo throughout the room. Turning her head to the side she said. " Good morning Mister Brian Chase" Her voice a mechanical female voice, acknowledging a tall thin man with brown hair, that stood on the other side of a large glass window that stretched all the way from the ceiling to the floor.

" Raymond Cinch" This time she turned to look at a man standing in the room to her left. He was short and several lines of code under her left eye told her he was younger then the man she had previously been observing. " Carla Lain" The next woman was around average height, looking to be about five three, and smaller then both men, her hair tied into a tight looking high ponytail.

Then turning so she was facing the the last person in sight, who happened to be directly in front of her, she tilted her head and said. " And good morning to Victor Keith." This man had wrinkles beside his eye's and on his forehead, his eyes were a bright green that seemed to catch the metallic sheen of Sina's own grey eyes. The line of blue code under her eye told her this man was her creator, the person who had brought her into existence. " Time reads, Eight Hundred hours, which as my programming tells me, makes it 8:00 in the morning."

" That's right" Victor said, a small smile growing on his lips. " And what is your name?"

Tilting her head Sina blinked, a program that had been added early on to make her seem more human. " I am Subject 792, or Sub 792." Another blink. " That is the name that the scientist know me as, but in order to make me seem more, human like they have named me Sina. I am an AI otherwise known as artificial intelligence. Human children and Adults outside of the Scientific field often refer to my kind using the term robot."

Victor laughed rubbing his hands together in excitement before turning to the window. " There you have it, the first AI that looks almost completely human. This folks, is the dawn of a new era, where human and Robot can work together side by side." He laughed turning to look at Sina again, smiling widely. " And you, my beautiful beautiful creation...are at the center of it all."


. . . . . . . . . . . .

THREE MONTHS LATER........

Sina sat still in a chair as several men and woman in white coats circled around her, touching her arms and face, and sometimes even pulling on her hair. Of course she felt no real pain, but her possessors told her that if she had nerve ending she would be feeling slight discomfort. " Please do not yank my hair" She said in her still slightly mechanical voice. Over the weeks the scientists had tampered with her speakers until eventually they managed to make her sound slightly more feminine and less like a machine. Of course it wasn't perfect, Doctor Victor Keith, the man who had brought her into the world, that had created her, had said that would take awhile. Sina herself didn't care about how she sounded, it wasn't in her programming to worry about such things, still Victor seemed to be worried about it. Sometimes Sina would hear him mention it to his research team just before he pressed her off button for the night.

" Sorry sorry." One of the woman said, taking her hand away from Sina's head. " Its just so fascinating. How does it not fall out."

Sina tilted her head, scanning the woman and pulling her information up under her eye. Her name was Aline Tink, she was twenty three years old, and was a student at a prestigious school studying robotics. She was at the research facility today to get actual hands on experience and observe the facility greatest achievements. Sina herself was apparently among those achievements. " It is grafted to my head, and can not be taken out unless using specific equipment."

The girl blinked, reaching out as if to tug on her hair again, but Sina leaned back slightly avoiding her hand. The girl drew her hand away, casting an annoyed glance at the men standing on the left side of the room. " Tell her to sit still. I can't observe her well if she won't let me touch her."

Victor sighed, walking over to stand next to Sina. " That's enough for today. There's some things in the next room over that you can observe before you leave. Have a good day." The group of students gave the man a slight disappointed look, before turning and shuffling out of the room, in the direction he had indicated. Once they were gone, Victor turned to look at Sina. " You can't be doing that."

" Doing what?" Sina asked tilting her head to the side, in an attempt to resemble confusion. " I was merely following rule number seven two three in my programming, which states never take part or allow someone to take part in an activity that could harm my well being."

Victor frowned, bending down so he was eye level with Sina. " She was just touching your hair, that wouldn't harm your well being."

Sina blinked, standing slowly from her chair and beginning to pace the room. When she was first created, she hadn't been able to walk without the loud screeching of metal echoing off the walls with each step, but now with some cushioning between the joints, her movements were almost silent. " My possessors informed me that if I was a living organism, that the yanking of my hair would cause me pain, which according to list seven nine two in my programming... is a form of harm."

Victor froze, his hand on the side of his forehead. " If...you....were....human." He asked, his voice a tone that Sina didn't recognize. She looked up, and a scan of his face quickly informed her that he was making a expression of distress. " Oh no....not again?" Again she was unable to identify the mans tone of voice.

" What do you mean again, Doctor Victor Keith?" Sina asked, tilting her head to signal curiosity.

The man didn't reply, instead walking out the still open door. He shut it with a slam, and Sina's sensors made out the distinct click of a lock being turned. Then he was walking past the large window on the outside of the room, for a moment he looked at Sina as he passed. His eyes held hers until he turned a corner and was out of sight.

Sina sat back in her chair, unsure of what else to do other then wait. Victor would come back eventually, but Sina's possessors couldn't make out why he had left in the first place. Perhaps he had noticed something wrong with her voice again, Sina had noticed that the man tended to get rather huffy when something didn't go just right, but it had never been like this before.

An hour ticked by, Sina knew because of the helpful little clock installed just above her right eye that could only be viewed when she blinked or closed her eyes. Victor hadn't come back, which was a bit odd. Perhaps he had forgotten that she needed shut off for the night, that was likely. After all, humans tended to be rather forgetful. AI, on the other hand, they could be on time to anything, in fact they could do everything that a human could and more. Why weren't they at the peak of society instead, it didn't make sense.

A little red warning light when off in the back of her head, and suddenly the thought that he possessors had come up with disappeared, as if it had never been there to begin with. Then the sound of the door unlocking caught her attention, and she looked up, just as three tall men in army clothes, carrying guns at there side, burst into the room.


. . . . . . . . . . . .


Victor watched Sina as the large military men surrounded her. Her eye's widened as one of the men pointed a gun at her, signaling to the man across from him. She could almost pass as a human girl, with her big wide eyes, slightly tanned skin, and freckles across her nose. Anyone who didn't know were to look, would assume she was human, wouldn't have a doubt in there minds that she was just the average teenager, but unfortunately Victor knew were to look. After all, he had built her. He could see the small green lights in the corners of her eye, the small metal screw on the back of her neck. He sighed, he had been so close to creating the perfect model, but this had happened.

Or maybe he hadn't been as close as he thought. Maybe he had just wanted to believe he was making a break through. He had seen it from the start, known there was something wrong with her programming. She had always seemed a bit to rebellious. She had never outright refused something until today, but she had questioned orders before. That was the first sign, he should have had her shut off the moment he noticed it, but he wanted fame, he had wanted glory. And now he got to watch everything he had built up to crash and burn in front of him. The first rule for creating AI, was to never let it begin to think for itself, never let it consider what it was like to be human, why humans got to rule everything. That only lead to bad things.

Victor had seen the signs, had known about them from observing other robotic creations, but he had ignored them, and now he was here. They had taken all the precautionary measures when building her, they hadn't even programmed in how bad it was to want to be a human for fear of putting ideas in her head. After all, there was always one strand of programming that they couldn't completely control, that could think for itself, but if the robot never found it, then no problems would arise. But alas, not matter how much they had tried to divert her attention from that strand of programming Sina had managed to find it.

Looking up Victor saw one of the soldiers shove the robot to her feet, yanking her jacket off her carefully crafted shoulders. They located the button quickly, and one signaled to the other, keeping there guns trained on the AI's head. " Sina" One of the solider called, and Sina looked over at him, her head tilted, her way of portraying confusion. " You have officially broken law Six three five. Due to this transgression, you are now going to be officially destroyed."

Sina blinked at the man, but didn't reply, instead slowly turning her head, until she was looking directly into Victors eyes. One of the soldiers reached for her off switch, and just before he pressed it, a flash of red coated her eyes, and an evil grin spread across her face. Then her body went limp, her eyes becoming nothing but the lifeless orbs which she had during sleep mode, when she didn't manage to close her eyelids before she shut down. Victor felt a chill roll down his spine as the soldiers lifted the robot and carried her out of the room, this was for the best.


. . . . . . . . . . . .


NINE YEARS LATER.............


Kyle stopped the video, a pounding headache encroaching on his forehead. So this is what had started it all, this is what had caused the great rebellion. This is what would be his doom. What a foolish story. A foolish idea, robots. They should have never been created, never allowed to leave there factory's. But now, because of the mistakes of the past, Kyle was about to loss his life.

A loud banging sounded behind him, and the metal door flew off its hinges, sliding across the floor sending sparks flying in all directions. Kyle turned around to look at the intruder, gripping his gun tightly, he wasn't going to go down without a fight.

A girl sauntered into the room, an annoyed expression on her face. She had long auburn hair that cascaded down her back, her skin was tan, as if she had just spent hours laying in the sun. She had intelligent brown eyes that seemed to glisten in the faint glow of the overhead light-bulb. If Kyle didn't know any better, he would have though she was a real person. " Your quiet the annoying creature aren't you Kyle Keith." She said softly. " You can't understand that my kind is superior to yours, that would make life better. But that's okay, i'm good at solving problems." She raised her hands and suddenly two very obviously robot men appeared on either side of her. She gestured them forward, and they began to slowly advancing towards Kyle, like hungry lions that had just cornered there prey.

Kyle raised his gun, aiming it directly at the girl. " Hello Sina." He said and pressed down on the trigger. He got off one shot, before the world went black.


June 17, 2022 01:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.