1 comment

General

“Jessie, there is absolutely no way for us to get to your apartment,” Mia said. Pause. All I could hear was that Jessie was loud. “Tell Julian that we aren’t going to be able to pick him up.” Pause. “Thanks, Jess. Piper and I will get there as soon as we can.” Mia hung up the phone.

“What’d Jess say?” I asked softly, looking out the window at cars covered in a layer of snow. 

“The blizzards right on us. Because of all the snow and Ice, some car slid into another up there and traffics backed up for miles.” Mia matched my tone.

“So we’re just going to be sitting here?”

“Hopefully talking. I can turn on some music.” So she did. It was soft, calming, pretty music.

“What do you wanna talk about?” I asked. My eyes lingered on hers for a second too long, before starring out the window again.

“Um. I dunno. Jessie told me something interesting a few days ago. We could talk about that.” I looked at her, my face started turning pink. Damn Jess, the second I get to your apartment, you’re dead. “She said that you had liked someone, a lot, but just couldn’t say who. She said you wanted to see if I could figure it out. So my first question, girl or boy, Piper?” Mia’s hard green eyes looked down at me as she adjusted her silky brown hair.

“G-girl.” I stuttered, “The person I have feelings for is a she.” Mia kept her hand on the wheel but angled herself more towards me. 

“What’s her sexuality? Is she close to you.” Mia’s nose scrunched up, the way it always did when she was thinking.

“I’m pretty sure she’s gay, maybe bi and she’s kinda close to me, closer to one of my friends though.” My left hand started shaking, so I put it between my thighs.

“Is it me?” She asked. My heart jumped.

“Wha-what?” I stuttered.

“Is the friend that she’s close to me?”

“I mean on some levels, but no, she’s close to Jessie.”

“So it can’t be Jenna, Heidi, Alexis, Polly, or Cara. Is her name in this list? Jess, Julianna, Peyton, Luna, me, or Kelly?” My heart quickened.

“Yes.”

“Jessie, me, Peyton.” I nodded.  “Peyton, Luna, Kelly?” I shook my head. “Jess, Julianna, Luna?” I shook my head. “Me. You have feelings for me?” I nodded. My hands started shaking more than ever. “Wow.” Mia’s face turned red.

“Yeah. Well uhh, now that you know I’m sure that you don’t wanna talk to me cause it’s weird. It is weird right?” I said, quickly. Mia giggled.

“No, you know what’s weird? Any time you get nervous, your voice starts going a million miles a minute.” 

“So,” I said, looking out the front window. Slowly, we inched forward.

“So. Do you wanna know something that I’ve been dying to tell you?” Her smile sparkled.

“Sure.” I looked up at her.

“I have feelings for you too.”

“WOAH REALLY!?” I yelled, getting a little too excited.

“Wow, you’re happy.” She giggled again. “But yes, Piper, I really have feelings for you. I was going to tell you tonight, at Jess’s party, but seeing that you told me, why wait.” Mia glanced over at me, then back at the road. We moved forward again, slightly. 

“So you wanna go out some time?” I asked, watching her. Mia chuckled a little bit, then looked me up and down. “What?” I smiled.

“Now you’re going to act like a confident, strong, weirdo? Sure, Piper, let’s go out some time. My treat though. I don’t want you paying for our first date.” She flashed her sparkling smile, then starred at me a little bit. 

“Mia, we can move forward,” I said, giggling.

“Oops.” She laughed, moving forward, then turned a little red.

“How much longer are we going to be on the road?” I asked, my eyes flickering from the road to her. 

“Once we hit South Thomas Road, I’m going to turn left, then go down to Peter’s Avenue, and then there we are Jess’s apartment. Party time.” I laughed at the little dance she did. 

“Got it.” I smiled at her.

“Now I take a left.” She said. I watched the way her face moved as she drove, how when a song she liked came on, she would sway, side to side, how whenever she caught me looking at her, she would just shake her head and smile. 

We went down to Peter’s Ave and pulled into a parking spot in front of Jessie’s place. We hopped out of the car. 

“So,” I said, smiling when she stood next to me.

“So.” She smiled at me, then grabbed my hand.

“Guessing you’re the romantic type?” I said, softly, as we walked up the stairs and hit the button to get buzzed in.

“Just a little bit. I just like to keep my ladies happy. I also like it when I know that she goes home, she thinks about me.” Buzz. “I like when I’m the only thought bouncing around her head, that she misses me and wants to be with me.” We went into the elevator, and I looked at us in the shiny, silver, metal. Watching us made me so happy. “See it’s working already. I know that all is bouncing around in your pretty little head is me, and us.” 

“You’re right, sadly,” I mumbled. I looked up at her, her soft eyes looked down at me. The elevator beeped, and she pulled me off, towards Jessie’s apartment. We stood outside of her apartment.

“When you got in my car, I couldn’t stop starring at you. You look so damn beautiful.” I smiled, my back was against the wall, and she put one arm by the side of my head. “There it is again, that blush you get, that spreads over your entire face. I think you get that when you think about me. When you get all nervous and cute.” Then Mia looked at me. Her eyes flicked down to my lips, then back to my eyes, then down to my lips again. She bit her bottom lip, then put her other hand on my waist. Wow. Woah. Woah. Wow. Oh. My. God. She’s going to- Mia leaned in, her lips met mine, my eyes fluttered shut. My hands met her waist, then she deepened the kiss. We heard the door open, and out came Jessie.

“OH MY GOD! GUYS YOU FINALLY KISSED! WOAH!” She squealed and jumped up and down. We both laughed, then went inside. Party time.

January 07, 2020 20:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Cassidy Caldwell
21:39 Jan 13, 2020

So adorable. Loved reading this!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.