2 comments

Speculative

The tree whispers what are you doing here? The wind howls you don’t belong. Yet here I am, high in the canopy. Why, the bird asks, perching on a branch above me. Why would a ground-dweller place itself high in a tree where only winged creatures should be.

               I cling to the thin portion of the tree’s sturdy center as the questions run through my mind. My decision to climb now feels foolish as the winds long to send me back to the ground. But I know my reason, I have a purpose, and I bolster my courage to stand against nature’s threats to scare me away. Because there’s a wall that stands at least thirty feet high. It appeared overnight and I don’t know why. It runs the length of at least two football fields, fully enclosed on all sides. There are no doors, I have to know what’s inside.

               The cube isn’t the only mystery in my town. When I mention the wall, everyone frowns. They say the enclosure has always been. It’s like the trees or the river, it simply just is. They have no recollection of there ever being a time when the wall didn’t stand outside the county line.

               But I remember. I went to bed after watching the last light disappear. A late June sun dropping behind the Smokies, dazzling the sky with hues of orange, red then blue. My home boasts a bedroom mountain view, a feature I’ve never ignored. Then, I woke to find that view was no more. Morning light brought an unpleasant surprise, a white box stretching straight into the sky.

               I ran through the streets, crying out in alarm. Did anyone else notice the giant square that appeared? Its blinding white, screaming it shouldn’t be here. But the townspeople ignored me, or worse thought I was mad. Why do you question this thing we’ve always had? I don’t understand how they can’t remember before. Not only is its existence brand new, but since it appeared, my world has felt flat. It’s taken something from me, I’m sure of that. It must be discovered, the secret of this wall. It seems that it’s taken something from us all.

               So, I explored the alien all on my own. I approached, shaking from head to toe. First a finger, then a palm, my hand touched the beast. Smooth and cold, like glass; what I expected the least. I thought it’d be stone, perfectly cut with its sharp edges. But to feel like this; it couldn’t be natural. My brain screamed for answers.

               Now I grapple in a tree as it thunders get out of me! But I cannot be deterred, even if it means losing my life. I must show myself and my town what lies inside. If I can capture an image, they could wake up, and I won’t be alone in this pursuit anymore. This photo will bring understanding, it will bring truth. Whether the result of the pixels mean peace or war.

               As I near the top, the tree’s anger grows. Its frail branches cannot contain me, so it bobs and sways, as though shaking a bug from its clothes. I lie just a hair above the wall’s top edge, but the tree’s movements demand too much attention. I beg him to stop, just to give me a moment. All I need is a photo, then you can dispense of my unwelcome presence.

               I wrap myself tightly around the last bit of its core, and lift myself all the way to the top. The tree moans and cries I can’t take anymore. It bends me down far away from the wall. I hear snaps and cracks, then feel energy build. No, no, no, I cry out to the tree. If this power propels me, I won’t survive the fall. But nature takes its own stand. Besides, here I am, the tree’s foreign object. I’m no better than the wall, causing random chaos.

               Wind whips my face as I’m heaved into the sky. Breath leaves my lungs and my eyes close as I picture my demise. I fly over the wall; too afraid to even gain my answer. I once again question this insane thing I’ve done, berating myself for coming alone. But no one would join me and why the internal debate? There is no way I can change my fate.

Then a voice roars OPEN and my eyes follow the command. In an instant, I no longer care if I die, I’ve never seen anything so grand. Silence touches my ears yet my eyes hear the sounds. My vision sees colors mix with music; I am left dumfound. Then the embodiment of love wraps it arms around my form. The presence that holds me I can’t see, but I feel its warmth. It brings me safely to the earth and remains bound to every cell until instinctively knowing I can stand on the own. But the moment it separates, I feel utterly alone. Come back, I cry. Hold me forever. It whips around a single finger, then pulls like a tether.

I’m led into the sights of sound. My hand disappears into the visual tones of a flute playing C minor. My eyes can see the blue melody, and I’m swept into the sapphire song as memories of my first love wash over me. The fire of his first kiss is juxtaposed against the icy steps of goodbye he made long ago.

 I cross into red where drumsticks beat at my irises, and I’m suddenly filled with wrathful desires. Memories too evil to share enter my mind. The tether feels my rage and drags me outside.

Yellow displays a whole symphony of sounds. Piano and guitar chords grasp hands and prance all around. They move from the darkest shade to the lightest, yellow’s aura seems to reach the highest. They maneuver every major chord in confident stride, yet there was not a hint of pride. I leap into sunshine and memory lane drives through every family game night. Then it changes course, to the carefree teenage days spent with my best friend. Pizza, soda, a good movie or silly video game; strange to realize the simplicity of joy in the end.  

Other colors and songs remain but the presence halts my progress. I can almost see it now, the slightest shimmering glow. It moves toward me and I wait for the love it will bestow. It opens my chest, but I feel no fear or pain. I look down and see a hole, then I watch as some of its warmth inside me I gain. My chest heals with a glow, then tired my eyes grow. Everything I’ve seen, I do and don’t understand. Yet I could stay forever in this enchanted land. But my returned soul whispers you’ve seen enough and the cube fades away revealing the mountain bluff. 

April 04, 2024 18:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Kristi Gott
03:11 Apr 09, 2024

Very mythic and mysterious! It has a dreamlike quality. Beautifully written imagery. Like an abstract painting, I feel it invites me to start wondering and imagining. Very interesting.

Reply

12:49 Apr 09, 2024

Thank you so much for the generous comment! I did try to tackle a more abstract concept and so tried to create a different flow, sitting on the edge of poetry. I wasn't sure if it belonged in short story because of that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.