0 comments

Coming of Age

It was during early morning I went out for jogging I was young and while I was on the lane tracking. While I was running the wind blows and it was like tornado but I was looking how leaves and dust were combined in the sky I saw it spin. I couldn't take my eyes off the wind it was like wow amused holding my waist. That's where my love of being a painter begin soon as I begin chasing it the talent clashed with my school work.

I was supposed to be a child playing those funny and silly games but the passion and the desire took me other direction, I tried to stay focus on my school work but everywhere I go I see color's designing themselves together.

I take bus going to school and view trees spins sunshine bright Its behind our bus but it reflect amongst the trees and the blue sky make it more beautiful. On our way to school we passed by the lake I saw the water change colour black when mountain shade drops into the water, saw waves water were blue going up but clear when drew them using the bucket damn I was flattered by how lake water can seem to have color but only to find out water had no color at all (colorless).

We arrived at school I when the teacher was writing on the chalkboard I only see the colours combination during school out I had few bucks from my money box I went and fetch it so I can buy notepad and colouring pencils all the materials. I wanted to start showing my talent so I went to mom and I told her I was leaving school and she got mad at me told me I don't appreciate the opportunity God gave me, I asked her to take a look at my school grades and tell me honest truth she has confidence that I will make it or she just wish I make it in life?

She said while crying she knew that one day I would say it but she didn't expect I would say it sooner, she said she had failed as a mother cause she also didn't make it in her grades too. I said to her don't worry mum God will make a way we will one day be proud of not giving up in life but be happy for the change of path we both taken to be where we are.

She laughed and cry at same time says please make it happen being a mother to you that all I know I given up early am sorry.

I gave her a hug tight and went away to paint and the only thing that came to mind I can draw was my mother during the moment she was crying and when I was done looking at her patrait I shed a tear drop right on the paper and I left it so dry up a bit I didn't wanna tear up the page forcing to draw while it was wet. Dozed off while waiting for paper to dry up and my mum came and took pencil from me and pack all my stuff safe placed notepad safe she opened up blankets prepare for my sleep, she pick me and place me so I slept. I wake up in the morning I was like wow and I went to show her the work she just smiled and it was beautiful thing when she praised me, seeing her smile it was a relief. I asked her about the tear drop mark cause I could see it will ruin my drawing she called me over and she looked the picture and told me to think out of the box,be creative and we created a colour splash on the mark it really made the drawing perfect and more beautiful than we expected.

I kept on going trying to draw all beautiful things I can think of when I reflect on my memory lane.i did draw a lot of objects, anything creative and role models everything I does it show her and she add ideas when it's needed opinion. When I reached my 60's page with design mom decided that I mark maybe my art to show it so I did ask her to us her signature as a trademark. She didn't have money either but she sacrifice her budget to feed us and take me to the museum I experienced of this, I had to expose to the ancient writing the greatest art of Monalisa. It was an amazing journey to tour at the museum asking about what type of paper use for art and the greatest tools I was never exposed to with my love of art. The old man who was the artchitect of the museum saw the desire and support from the single mother 

He reached out to us and I realised theres brown, dusty blank papers laying down I asked for them he gave me, also gave me brushes rejected told me to go and become the new Leonardo or Picasso I appreciate as we left the museum I looked the Floor was painted sunrise it gave me a spark.

As the beginner mother didn't want me to spoil the papers give or waste she said I should Draw with pencil and after trace the brush I drawn mountain with facial sun (my mother's face) and facial moon (face of myself) the creativity of faces it's what makes it beautiful.

I painted and traced even my old once on the given paper it was amazing a 2weeks later we went to our local shopping complex we went from store to store asking for empty boxes that where supposed to be recycled. We collected few and mom decided to use her money from savings account she bought plastic covers and sellotape we went home put painted pages on the box size to either A4,A3 & A2 it was fun enjoying the company. Next when we done covering up the designs, mum she went to prepare food for lunch while we saying she ask me what am I willing to do with those designs I responded tomorrow morning I will stand on the robot by the complex and selll them she asked how much you willing to sell each R50 - A4, R80-A3 & R120-A2 so I finish eating and I put plates on the Zink and went and watch TV cartoons Tom n Jerry were my favourite. She asked me why am I not painting today I responded I need to rest so I can be able to wake up tomorrow morning, she was like ohk (sighs) maybe you will also gather new ideas for next painting.

Comes time during night I went to sleep mum came to my room and pray with me so that tomorrow should be the best day of our life. I slept she left switch light off (dark and quiet) and when I runout of sleep it was 4 am just laying in bed waiting for the moment, time it came I waken up and when I open the door mum also opened hers too. I asked mum a question aren't you supposed to be sleeping she said I want to come with you do you allow me? Instead of saying yes I went over and hug her to show her request was sanctioned the feeling that she was going with me it felt amazing. I took bath and she already made me chariots I changed, went to eat she done an went to dressup to go with me we picked 40 of painting load in her car we went to out selling point. We arrived at the market I will stand on the robot start selling but no luck till midday nothing sold am thirsty and hungry as much as I am tired wanted to quit and go sit down, but when I see mum not giving up my conscious tells me keep pushing even thou people admire the painting but don't purchase anything (the beautiful thing about this is we didn't sell but never thought of giving up)

Our day is done for the day mum says we should go home I agreed and we packed, went home on the way she asked me what did I learn I told her alot she will see when we got home when we arrived at home I told her not to remove them paint so tomorrow we don't struggle with loading. I went inside try to work on new ideas I went did my magic when mom comes she didn't believe what she just saw (seeing painting of us selling at robot) colour complement each other I went to my room I lay down that how I tossed up. She will cook and eat while I was asleep till she done came to fetch me to go eat, we will eat and after I bathed and went straight to bed I had a dream launching my own gallery the Expo event was beautiful it was that kept everyone who attended take picture shared on their social media platform.

The next morning I was waken by an alarm it was hard to wake up but I remember that I left school to chase my lifetime career dream. I waken up and bathed and mum bathed as well, she prepared a sandwich for both so we left to go to work like everyone else. We arrived at the robot our spot as since yesterday and displayed my gallery, customers who wanted to know asked questions and were answered and as day goes by during lunch time I decided to stay longer, yes my patients did reward me a White old lady about age 60-70yrs something driving a blue Sedan came asked me about the motivation behind the painting I explained she understands after she decided to buy 2 pictures that cost R120 each. It was to lift confident and invest in my craft, courage not to give up when I was still excited another customer came and bought the other picture of my mother and I sunrise his advice was he gave me his business card infuture I ever needed anything regarding promoting my work I should contact him. As he left and I went over to mom and she was happy she lifted me up she said we need also to try to sell online. We worked till late with no luck of no exchange of goods so we divided to pack and go, we get by garage and bought data for mom so when we got home we start creating profile for the business.

We got home and created profile after after few minutes we posted pictures people that knows us started liking and sharing our page to show support and before supper we already had few orders. In my mind I can see the money dance...

Thats how things changed our life changed because of the support we received from different ethnic and when we saw post scholarship I didn't waste time I applied I was under age but they seen my work and they decided to change the criteria just make me fit inn and upgrade my knowledge into professional.

Ib life you got to see yourself as something.

Even a blind man has a vision too!!

By Shiko Mathabatha

August 09, 2021 22:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.