Black and White

Submitted into Contest #86 in response to: Set your story at a park during a spring festival.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Drama American

Mister White took in a deep breath of cool spring air. The lights and sounds of the festival added to his brightening mood. Spring was finally here.


Mister Black huffed, “I hate when you do that” he said. His voice was more of a growl then anything resembling his innocent old man visage.

Mister White looked to him. Mister Blacks eyes were scanning the crowd. Mister White knew what he was doing. He was Looking for eyes that will connect with him. So, he can see into the future of one of them. See their fate. 


“What did I do” Mister White said. His tone fitting his innocent look. 

“That taking a deep breath and enjoy the weather shit. You know this is all a lie just like I do. Yet, you always bask in the lie like your one of them. Like you understand them. It turns my stomach.”


Mister Black smiled then. His yellow teeth showing the beast within. It was brewing behind his dull eyes. 

Mister White fellowed Mister Blacks gaze. In the distance was a small boy. His mother held his hand. She was speaking with another young woman. The boy was staring at the two little old men on the bench. 

The boy was staring at Mister Black directly into his eyes. If only that little boy knew what he was looking into. A window into terror. 


After a moment the little boy giggled and turned back to his mother. 

“Did you see it?” Mister Black said. His voice carried the hiss of a snake. “Did you look into his eyes?” Mister Black slowly turned to Mister White. 


Mister White did not shake or show fear. He simple said “no, I don’t do that. You know that.”


Mister Black let out a small growl, “You can tell me that all you went. But I know you have seen it. I seen you look at him. I know you seen his fate”. Mister Blacks tone was dry and emotionless. Like all of his kind. 


Mister White wasn’t going to tell him. Yes, he did look into the boy’s eyes. Also, the mother’s eyes. He seen their lives. From the beginning to the sad end. He seen it. But, like all of his kind. Mister White does not acknowledge It. Doesn’t find pleasure or pain in knowing where their lives are heading. His kind lives in the moment. Unlike Mister Black, who smiled widen as he spoke again. 


“Yes, you’ve seen it. The pain the boy feels in a few years. The end he has. You felt it to. I can see it in the wrinkles of your face.” Mister Black seemed to be getting some perverse pleasure from Mister Whites uneasiness.


However, Mister White is not surprised. Every year this happens. Same yearly festival, same park, same bench. Why?

Because after so much time of hatred to one another. They could only relate too each other now. Also, humanity is not their people. Their people are long gone. They are just two lone Sentinels, left over from a long-forgotten war.


“You always do the same play don’t you?” Mister White asked. His tone carried a venom to it. Before Mister Black could say anything, Mister White continues. “You pick a soul that is not to walk the earth long, then you try to force me to feel like they do not deserve the love that the creator gave them.” 

Mister Blacks face tensed. “They don’t deserve it. They kill and rape each other for resources that is given to them in abundance. Just because they are all ungrateful and greedy.” The beast behind his eyes screaming to be unleashed. However, his face was calm and still. To any casual passerby. All they will see is to gentle old men. Having a seemingly serious discussion. 


Mister White understood where his counterpart was coming from. There are many sinners on this world. Many who cause more pain than he has seen in his long life. Yet, Mister White could not take his rivals point of view. The creator left because of his kind. Because of their hate for his newest creation. They caused sadness to enveloped the creator’s big heart. Just because they felt left behind. His kind is no different then what he is hating the humans for. To Mister White. That speaks in volumes of Mister Blacks views on humanity. 


Looking back at the little boy and the mother. Both of which, where looking at the old men now? The little boy giggling and pointing at Mister White. Mister White seen the future for the boy. The pain in his chest. His painful last moments on earth. The mother’s eyes seemed to shine as her brow furrowed. Her future after her son dies is short, and sad. The boy and his mother started walking over to the two old men. Mister Black stood up.


“I’m leaving. You will see my point sooner or later. These sacks of meat don’t deserve mercy. They don’t deserve anything but the release that death can provide. They burn our world. Without knowing what once lived on this planet.”


Mister Black looked to the coming duo. He visibly struggled to withhold his disgust. 

“Till next time”. Mister Black said. He turned and walked into the festivals crowed. The beast within stirring. 


The mother and boy approached, “See mommy, he looked like Santa” the little boy said. Mister White then remembered his long beard and his bright red light jacket. Mister White smirked. The mothers face seemed to redden “I’m sorry sir, my little Eric here kept saying he was seeing Santa on vacation”. 


Mister White laughed then “Oh I see, well I guess I do look like him don’t I”. Mister White looked down to the boy. His eyes were bright and full of energy. The complete opposite of what they look like in five years on his death bed. “Well, aren’t you a smart young man”. The boy smiled widely. “He very much is” the mother said. She looked at her boy and Mister Whites heart ached. She loved her boy so much. 


Mister White nodded to the boy and Mother. “well, I must get going, Have a goodnight.” Mister White knew what he was about to do was against ancient law. But, after centuries of seeing tragedy after tragedy. Mister White decided. Someone needed to be saved. Even if it is just to small lives, in a massive sea. He took a deep breath of the cool spring air once more.


Walking by the Mother, Mister White leaned in and whispered a few words to Her. The old man did it so fast that the Mother barely reacted. But she heard his words loud and clear. 


The Mother watched the old man disappeared into the crowed. Her jaw in her hands. 


“Mommy you ok”? the boy asked. The mother looked down to her whole world and said “Yes, I’m fine sweetheart. Hey, you feeling ok”?


The boy seemed confused “Yeah, why”?


The Mother looked back into the crowed. The mysterious old man was already swallowed by the bustling foot traffic. “I think I am going to make a doctor appointment for you tomorrow.”

The boys let out a frustrated huff. “Why, I feel fine?” The Mother smirked. Eric always hated going to the doctor’s office. 


Looking down at her loving boy. The old mans words echoed in her mind. “Yeah, I just got a hunch” she said smiling at the future she had just created. 


The End



March 25, 2021 04:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.