0 comments

Fiction Friendship Creative Nonfiction

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

Just tell them already…

    It’s been one week since she knew she was leaving. She meant to tell them the day her and David made it official, but there was never a good time. Okay that was a lie, there were plenty of times, but she just couldn’t do it. These were the people she spent her best years with, they were the only family she had anymore. It was supposed to be easy. Saying goodbye. That turned out to be a big fat lie.

    Tonight was the night she was supposed to tell them. Tonight was the night they’d all have to say goodbye. The next morning it’ll be “see you never again Georgia”. The plan was to go to New York; the city was far, but who cares?

    “C’mon Sarah, it’s the end of the world and I want to see the Statue of Liberty!” is what David said when he first brought up the idea a month ago. Sarah had laughed saying “It’s not the end of the world silly.” That, too, was a big fat lie.

Jesus Sarah, just do it already…

    Sarah sighed and looked at her friends. It was Friday, so that meant movie night in the Lockweller’s old basement. Tracy was sat on the floor in between the legs of her brother Travis, who was on a cubed ottoman braiding her hair. It was nice to see them having moments like these; they’re usually too caught up trying to one-up the other over pretty much anything. Cam, her oldest and closest friend, and Brian sat on either side of her smushed on the couch. She was pretty sure it was ideally made for two people, but they made it work. Angie, the newest addition to the group, was a couple feet away lounging on the only recliner in the room. The original five of them used to fight over that chair, but once the five of them became six…well that changed. Angie was too much of a sweetheart to say no to, not that she even asked for the spot in the first place.

    With a sigh, Sarah put the popcorn bowl she was holding in her lap to the side and reached over Cam to grab the remote. Five loud groans flooded the room as she stood up and walked to the center of the room, in front of the TV.

    “I swear if you say you have to go to the bathroom again.” If looks could kill, Travis would’ve had her dead immediately.

    “No, I don’t have to go to the bathroom again, calm down.” She took a breath. “I have something to tell you guys.”

    “Oh my god, are you pregnant!?” squealed Tracy. Sarah rolled her eyes.

    “No.” She took another breath. “Me and David are leaving.” Now that got everyone’s attention. The room was full of questions, their words toppling over each other.

    “What do you mean you and David are leaving?”

    “Where are you going?”

    “Do you mean like leaving your house to move to another one or like leaving the town?”

    Standing was too much for her, so Sarah sat down and crisscrossed her legs. When the room fell silent again, she spoke, her head in her hands.

    “Me and David are leaving Georgia. We want to go see New York.” Everyone stayed quiet. “We know it’s a long travel, but we can’t just be sitting ducks anymore.”

    Cam was the first to speak, his words coming out slowly, as if he can’t decide what to say. “Sarah.” He looked up from his hands and into her eyes. “You do realize that if you leave, we will most likely never see each other again…right?”

    Sarah sighed. “Yes.”

    Cam looked almost disbelieved. “And you’re okay with that?”

    “Not really, but-”

    “Then don’t go.”

    They stared at each other for a moment, neither daring to say anything. Something unspoken passed between them. A truth that will never live to see the light of day.

    Tracy was the one to break the silence. “When do you leave?” Her voice came out in a broken whisper.

    “Tomorrow morning.”

    “WHAT!?” Cam jumped to his feet. “TOMORROW MORNING? WHY WOULD YOU ONLY TELL US THIS NOW?”

    “It’s not that easy” is all Sarah said, her head still in her hands; she couldn’t bear herself to look up at him.

   “Okay let’s all just take a deep breath.” That was Brian; he’d always been the most levelheaded of the group. "Sarah, why don't you tell us why you and David want to leave. Y’know, other than the New York reason.

    Sarah scanned the room before she spoke. “The world is ending, and I refuse to die in some makeshift hospital bed. I just need to get out…there are so many places I haven’t seen and never will if I don’t take the chance while I still have it. Please, you have to understand that.” She shut her eyes. With her voice barely audible, she says, “Come with me.” The question hung in the air, though it wasn’t really a question, more of a plea. She knew they couldn’t come with them. Cam had his aunt to look after, Tracy and Travis had their parents, Angie had her niece and nephew, and Brian had his grandparents and his mother.

    The silence was almost deafening. They’ve had this conversation before, but it was more of a joke then.

    Angie, who hasn’t said a word on the matter yet, cleared her throat. All eyes were on her immediately and she shyly looked towards Sarah. “I understand why you’re leaving.” Her voice was small as she spoke. “I would leave too if I wasn’t need here. I’d like to see Mount Rushmore."

    Sarah smiled and stood up. With tears beginning to well in her eyes, she hugged Angie, who stood up and met her halfway. Eventually the others piled in, and Sarah didn’t say anything when she felt her shoulders become damp.

    After a while the group parted, and they finished their movie. Brian had chosen John Wick and they were about halfway through with the movie. Goodbyes were made after the credits rolled all the way through, and in the blink of an eye it was morning. Sarah and David left town after the morning rain sizzled out and began their journey on foot, going North. On their way out, many of the neighbors and other residents had given them looks and muttered loudly to their friends about how what they were doing was suicide.

    Sarah decided to take up journalling a week into their adventure, claiming the book could be used for science or historic purposes for the future. “What future?” they almost asked.

    The sun was setting when she began to write.

                   Dear whoever is reading this,

               I’m not sure how to start this so I’ll get right to the point. The

               world went to shit about half a year ago. One day acidic rain

               decided to fall instead of the regular kind. (You can tell the

               difference because the acidic kind has a green tint to it and

            it burns everything it touches) Anyways, within the first

couple days, millions upon millions upon MILLIONS of

people died. My parents were among the unlucky bunch.

Scientists have tried explaining it, but we all know they

haven’t got the slightest clue. They’ve tried coming up with

suits that we could wear so we could go outside while it was

raining, but so far no luck. Oceans and other bodies of water

have become too unsafe to use, even if you use a boat.

Buildings, roads, cars, etc. are also slowly being corroded by

the rain. Thank God it doesn’t rain daily. (Ha. Ha.) It’s quite

awful watching people be burned alive. I try to block out the

sound with my hands and shut my eyes when some

unfortunate soul gets trapped out there. One drop can so

much as burn right to your bone. Can you believe that!? I

don’t know what to think anymore honestly, regarding why

this is happening or rather how it’s even happening in the

first place. Maybe this is God telling us that he’s rebuilding

the planet from scratch. I left my hometown a week ago. I

miss my friends (Cam, Tracy, Travis, Angie, and Brian if

you’re reading this…know that I love you), but at least I have

my husband David with me. I guess he’s good enough

               company. (Ha. Ha. Just kidding.) We want to see the

               Statue of Liberty in New York. I can’t wait to see what she

               looks like up close! We just made it to South Carolina.

               Thankfully we’re in no rush, or else this would be a stressful

trip. We saw some people and had dinner with them

yesterday. They were so nice,, especially that woman, Suzie.

Well, I think that gets the job done for entry #1. (That

rhymed) I’m pretty tired, so I’m going to go to bed now.


Sarah


* * * * *


    The sky rumbled as the couple stared out at the Statue of Liberty. Or rather, a corroded version of it. From the city they could see how the rain had left heavy streaks down along the statue. David found it kind of ironic how there was a thick streak that ran under her left eye because it looked like a tear. She was still beautiful though. Very beautiful.

    Sarah and David had looked to the sky in unison. Another rumble echoed from above and they looked back down to each other. A silent agreement was made as they took each other in a warm embrace. Their kiss was slow and meaningful, saying all of the things that need to be said.

    A small drop found its way to Sarah’s shoulder, and they parted. Despite the pain she smiled. She smiled as if she didn’t feel a think; she smiled as if everything was perfect in the world. Sarah shut her eyes and aimed her face towards the sky, still keeping that smile. In her mind she imagined David doing the same.

    It began to pour when they clasped their hands together.

September 03, 2022 01:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.