A DAY IN LIFE

Written in response to: End your story with someone saying: “What a day.”... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Drama

That Friday morning Inspector of police Luke was ready in uniform to be at his station at 9 AM. His wife who was in the kitchen to get Luke’s breakfast and lunch ready got a phone call. She rushed to Luke and said “My sister wants me to go over and help her. Her baby is it seems ill. I’m leaving immediately. I’m taking leave from my job for the day. You can make breakfast and eat lunch outside. Bye!”

Luke decided he would make his breakfast a little later and fell asleep on a chair watching TV. When he got up it was late and he knew he couldn’t make his breakfast. He thought he would have something to eat at a restaurant on the way. He mounted his bike and tried starting it as usual but this day it wouldn’t stir. He gave it first aid and it slowly started. It started moving but he had to skip breakfast. He entered the station promptly at 9 when the armed sentry stood to attention and gave him a salute. He found it was hot in his office and taking off his cap wiped the sweat from his forehead. A cop came and switching on the overhead fan brought Luke a glass of water to drink.

Luke told the cop “Ask Rani to come.”

 Rani entered and gave him a salute. She was tall but rotund and the uniform seemed ill fitting on her.

Luke said “I now .......” His phone rang and seeing it was his boss broke off with Rani and listened into the phone. “Yes sir. Yes sir. Yes sir. It will be done.”

He put the phone down and said “Rani, the boss wants the report on the assault by opposition member TB to be withdrawn. Do it fast.”

The phone again sounded. He saw it was the big boss and after talking to him said “I’ll go there in minutes and do whatever is necessary.”

He got up and said “A house has been broken in. Rani I should be back in a couple of hours.”

He jumped into the jeep and quickly reached a big house which had notices announcing that it was under surveillance but still had been burgled. He saw the forensic team examining the premises. He gathered the evidence, collected fingerprints and went back to the station about lunch time. Back in his office, Luke called the fingerprint specialist and giving him whatever he had collected said “Study and compare the prints with those of known criminals. You’ve to do it urgently.”

He then called a helper and giving him money asked him to get something to eat. The phone now rang again. He saw it was a call from a neighbouring precinct. The police there complained: “There was the body of boy lying on the pavement in your area. Your cops pushed the body to the opposite pavement to avoid work. In other words they dumped the work on my precinct. That isn’t right.”

Luke said “I’m now very, very busy. I’ll investigate it tomorrow.”

This drew protests from the other end and Luke disconnected. He now again got a call. In an apartment in his precinct two streets ahead, a lady had committed suicide. He wondered to do. Food hadn’t yet arrived. Hunger gnawing at his stomach he took the jeep and went to investigate the suicide. The forensic team arrived and Luke joined them. He was told the old lady had lived alone, was quite rich but was estranged from her kin. Luke questioned all the kin and recorded their statements. The medical examiner came and gave the opinion that it was indeed a case of suicide. The dead woman’s brother said that her will was probably in the safe deposit locker of a bank. He knew the bank would now be closed. He decided he would go there the next day to see if there was many clue as to the reason for the lady’s suicide.

Luke went back to station and as he parked the jeep a man came and said “Our leader is waiting to speak to you” and whispered a name. He was indeed a Veep and Luke wondered why he had come to meet him.

The man said pointing “Saab, the Veep is in that van and wants you to join him there. I’m his driver.”

Luke wondered about what he should do. He said “I haven’t had lunch. It’s waiting for me. Can I come after lunch?”

The man spoke on the phone and said to Luke “My boss says you’ll have whatever you choose to eat if you come to the van.”

Luke went to the van and the Veep inside invited him in. The airconditioning within was soothing. The van started and parked near a restaurant where the driver got out. Food was then brought to the van.

Veep said “Mr.Luke I’ve ordered a complete meal. You can eat slowly.”

Luke being hungry wolfed down the food.

Veep said “Mr.Luke I’ve heard you’re a very conscientious officer and don’t take bribes. I know you’ve a brother who is seeking a job. It’s waiting for him. You know the ice cream parlour opposite the fair ground? It needs a manager. It would suit your brother.”

Some more food was now brought but Luke turned it down saying he was full.

Veep continued “That ice cream parlour which has a large patronage is owned by a friend of mine. He is offering your brother the job. In return you can do me a small favour. SKP was shot dead in your precinct and you’re involved in the case in court. Four people have been accused in the shooting. The identity of the fourth man is still unknown. The three accused say there is no fourth man. I would like it to stay that way. I’ve been informed that you suspect a certain fourth man. Don’t pursue the matter and look for a fourth man. That is what you can do for me.”

Luke didn’t know what to say. He had only suspected the involvement of a fourth man but it could not be established. He wondered if there was a recorder in the van and the talk was being recorded. He had had a good service record and wished it wouldn’t be spoilt.

Luke said “Give me four days, I’ll think it over.”

. “Mr.Luke ask your brother to report for duty at the parlour tomorrow. I’ll now drop you near your station.”

He called the driver and dropped Luke.

Luke discussed with his wife. Two days later he got a message from his brother saying he had got a good job with Amazon and was joining there.

When Veep contacted him Luke said “My brother has found a job. Thanks for your kind offer.”

“What about the fourth man?”

“I don’t think there was a fourth man.”

Veep whispered “I’m an honourable man. Remember always that I owe you one.”

Thinking about the events of that Friday, Luke said within himself what a day!

END



March 21, 2022 04:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.