1 comment

Friendship Creative Nonfiction Kids

I smiled uncomfortably at the woman, my palms were sweaty, and I was starting to wish that I had never seen that stupid coupon to begin with. She checked the clock for the millionth time and gave me a nervous smile. I fumbled through my purse, Where was it? I wondered if I could just leave right now, but the situation was awkward enough.

Swish-Click. Another person came rushing inside the already crowded place. The barista peered over my shoulder, glancing nervously at the irritated line behind me,

“Uh why don’t you go think about what you want and come back when you’re ready to order?” She said tentatively.

I nodded, trying my best to hide the sense of relief for a reason to get away from the counter. I made my way to the back of the coffee shop and sank into a green chair in the corner, hidden away from sight. My ears were feeling absurdly hot. The smell of freshly brewed coffee lingered beneath my nose, and I couldn’t help but feel a little calmed down. Stumbling on the ad for the new autumn drinks was purely accidental, then finding this coffee shop hidden away from the rest of the world was again purely and completely accidental. Swish-click. The sound of more and more people coming in and out. It seemed like everyone, but me had heard of this place. But then again it was probably because I didn’t drink coffee-- well anymore. I couldn’t remember why I had given up drinking coffee, there was never really a reason. Swish-click. A gust of wind blew inside the heavily heated shop, sending a shiver down my spine. A man dressed in a spiffy black suit came inside, he was carrying a black briefcase, ordered, picked up his coffee and was gone in a moment. A group of giggling teenagers were standing together in a tightly-knit circle, whispering, then looking around the shop then whispering again. I felt concealed and hidden in my own tiny little corner, watching these people felt like spying. My nerves were starting to relax. A cozy aura hung over the little coffee shop brightening my mood, I had completely forgotten about the coupon, and my very awkward conversation at the counter. At a table sat a woman with her son. The son waved his hands as he talked animatedly while the woman clicked her tongue in disagreement. Swish-click, another man walks inside wearing a black hoodie looking awfully sketchy. I crane my neck to get a closer look, but instead a brown apron blocks my view. The barista was standing in front of me holding a large cup of coffee, steam rising from the top of the cup. I raised my eyebrows, a little disappointed that she had shown up before I could get a good look at him. She sets down the coffee in front of me.

“I didn’t order,” I say, feeling second-hand embarrassment for the barista’s little mistake.

“Someone ordered your coffee…. And paid too,”

What would’ve seemed highly suspicious to me earlier seemed awfully funny right now, “Oh?”

The barista picked at some dried whipped cream on her apron refusing to meet my eyes, “It's one of the new fall drinks, you'll like it. Enjoy,” She picks up a dirty plate from the table, which I had not noticed earlier, and carries it away. I picked up the coffee, turned it this away and that away, then peered inside the brown coffee with swirls of white cream. The aroma drifting up smelled heavenly, and before I knew it I was picking up the cup, praying it wasn’t poisoned. I take one sip and my tongue bursts with flavors, rich and nutty,I feel a wave of warmth crash over me. It was like a long-delayed hug. What was this? What on Earth could possibly taste so wonderful? I took another sip trying to determine what flavors were there. Again my tongue is overwhelmed by the wonderfulness of the calming drink. Swish-click, a thin woman comes inside with three toddlers, diverting my attention from the coffee. One was in her arms, another pulling her skirts, and yet another tugging her hand. She makes her way to the counter dragging the children along with her. She ordered one of the new fall drinks and dragged her kids into a booth. The little girl who was pulling her skirts was begging her mother for a coffee, her mom was shaking her head angrily. The baby in her arms burst into tears. Everyone in the coffee shop looked up from their computers, newspapers, books, and phones, and shot a nasty look at the woman. She smiled back at them apologetically, blushing madly. The little girl who had been begging for a coffee was now staring at me, her bright blue eyes piercing through me.I took another sip of coffee while trying to look extremely interested at the coffee beans pop art across me. The woman's coffee was called, she picked it up and left with her children. I felt an odd sense of sadness seeing them leave. I didn’t know why, I didn’t even know them. Swish-click. An old Grandma comes in, her gray hair tied back into a tight bun at the top of her head. She orders then hobbles over to my table and sits down. I smiled at her, feeling a sense of kindness radiating from her. She opens her enormous handbag and takes out a tiny white pouch. She motions for me to stretch out my hand, and I do so. Who would deny a Grandma?She empties the contents into my hand, small teardrop shaped seeds plummet into my extended hands. She closes my fingers over them and says in a slow but steady voice, “Grow something beautiful,” her thick accent makes me feel closer to her and I feel loved. I don’t know what to say, “Thank you,”

She nods, pulls out a skein of yarn and needles, and begins to knit, nibbling on her croissant from time to time. I stared at her for a couple of minutes, then turned away, her presence made me like I was adored and I felt a new found affection for her. Picking up my coffee cup I realized how weird that was, I felt so deeply connected to all these people in the coffee shop, as if I knew them personally, and appreciated them. Swish-click, the door opens and to my surprise the woman with her three children comes in again, her daughter dragging her to my table. She walks towards me and close up I can see the dark circles from sleepless nights and her limp loose ponytail. “My daughter wanted to ask you something,” She says as the little girl comes out from behind her mother. I wasn’t exactly a kid person but either way I bent down to her and said, “What would you like?”

She held up a napkin and pen, “Could sign this for me?” I jerked my head back, taken aback, why would she want my autograph? It was as if her mom had read my thoughts and was quick to explain, “She thinks you’re Red Riding Hood,” I stared quizzically at her, then looked down at my coat which was more of a cloak and a bright red. Ohhh. “Of Course I can sign,” I said, taking her napkin and pen. As they started to leave her mom turned around and mouthed, "thank you”. My heart was practically bursting with joy. The old lady who I had completely forgotten was there patted my hand, “Good girl,” I loved it, the old woman, the little girl, her hardworking mother, the nervous barista, all the people in this shop, and the coffee. I took a sip of the arousing coffee, which was somehow magical and had the power of uniting people who had barely even known each other.

October 15, 2020 20:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Laina Stanford
22:44 Oct 21, 2020

Loved it! Heart-warming and life-affirming. If you could break up some of the long paragraphs, it would flow better for me. At least every time there is a "Swish-click", there could be a new paragraph. Good submission. Best of luck in all your writing endeavors!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.