1 comment

Fiction

It's the thought that counts. I always say. You do something nice for people and they don't appreciate what you did for them. The last time I did something for my special someone he was ungrateful. I did away with him. I don't like to be around negative people.

I'm a happy person. I like to be around happy people. I smile all the time. I like to make people smile that's who I am. When people say negative things about me it makes me sad. Why would anyone want to be sad?

After I did away with that ungrateful man and all the negative people in my life, I am now devoting myself to doing acts of kindness to the many people who deserve it and to those who are negative about life. I will call my project For You. This is not just for one person but for the many that I want to put a smile on their face.

To begin my acts of kindness I go in search of people to help. So, I walk out into my neighborhood and see all the usual smiling faces. I love my neighbors they are good people never saying anything negative but always appreciative of the things I do for them. The same goes for the rest of my neighbors all around me. I wave to them and keep on walking.

I walk into town waving at all my friends. They look happy. Not much kindness to spread around here. My town is a happy town but I can do one thing to make this town even more happy. They will love it but they won't know it came from me. I will keep my name and actions a secret. For my town this is for you.

WillowBrook is a beautiful town filled with so many beautiful people but the one thing they don't have is enough books in the library. An idea has popped into my head. I saved up a good amount of money. I'm going to use my money to buy enough books for the kids and adults. I head back home and get to work.

Two days later I receive an email telling me the books have arrived at the WillowBrook library. I'm excited to see my town's reaction. I leave my home and head to the library. I wave to the usual people. There is a different feeling in WillowBrook. There hasn't been this kind of feeling in a long time. As I round the corner to the library, I see my town looking on in wonder. Mrs. Davie, the librarian is running back and forth, in and out of the library looking at all the books.

I look around at the smiling faces. Brianna, you did something amazing. I hear all around me the same question being asked. Who did this? No one had an answer. That's the way I like it. Now on to my next for you kindness act.

I've been thinking a lot about my next act of kindness and I've decided to go to the next town called HavensBrook. I pack a bag and go to the train station. I buy my ticket and walk to the waiting area. While I'm waiting I see many people waiting for the train, one catches my eye. She's a mother with two children. Both of them are screaming for ice cream. Their mother is not paying attention to them. So, I decide to buy them ice cream.

I walk to the ice cream vendor. I buy two vanilla ice cream cones. I ask the vendor if he can give the ice cream cones to the two little girls and I ask him not to give my name Brianna to the mother. He nods and I walk away.

I go back to my seat and watch the two little girls faces light up. This is what I love seeing. I see the mother looking around to see if she can find the person who bought the ice cream. I don't give her any room to find me. The time has come for me to board the train to HavensBrook. My second for you kindness act is done. I mouth thank you to the vendor. He simply nods.

I board the train and find a window seat. I sit down and think about my next act of kindness. While I'm thinking I see a gentleman sitting in the seat across from me. He's not looking to good. I ask him if he's okay. He tells me he's struggling to find a job. I look at him and tell him "I'm sorry." How can I help this man? An idea pops into my head. I take out a job application I printed at home. It's a job working at a bank.

I wait for the perfect opportunity to secretly put the job application in his coat pocket. An hour later the train stops at HavensBrook. I grab my bag, take out the job application and quietly slip it into his coat pocket. I step down onto the platform. I walk away before I leave the station I turn around and watch the man. He looks inside his coat pocket and finds the job application. He smiles. I walk out of the train station. My third for you kindness act is done.

HavensBrook is the total opposite of WillowBrook. WillowBrook is a happy town where as HavensBrook is filled with so many negative, unhappy people. I sensed it the moment I stepped onto the platform.

I don't know where to start. All these people looking at me is giving me goosebumps. There looks doesn't stop me from wanting to do good work. I walk around HavensBrook for a while until I spot a goodwill table. I look at the people and see they are struggling to get donations. Another great idea pops into my head.

I find a store at the end of the block. I walk in and start to pick out clothes in both men's and women's sizes. I also pick out shoes, socks, nightwear and a bunch of other items. I walk to the checkout counter and pay for the items. I ask the lady if she or one of her workers can hand the items to the two ladies at the goodwill table. She stares at me with a hard look on her face and in a menacing tone the lady asks me "Why?" I look at the lady and as nicely as possible I tell the lady "I'm doing a good thing for those who need it. You should try doing the same." The lady calls one of the workers. She hands the bag to the worker. I pay and quickly leave.

I walk to the end of the street happy I told the lady off. I turn around and watch the faces of the two ladies light up. I walk away. My fourth for you kindness act is done.

All throughout the day I go around HavensBrook trying to cheer people up. Some of it worked while other's didn't like what I was doing. I bought more food for the homeless shelters. The people were happy. I watched them from afar. Other's at the shelter weren't happy. I didn't understand why but I didn't care. For me it's the act of doing something nice for people. Their negativity can stay with them.

I return to WillowBrook happy and relieved I did many good things. Although some of the people I came into contact with weren't happy about the good things that were happening. To me the gift of kindness is not about being praised but about making those around you and those in far away places smile and making them feel good about themselves. I'm currently planning my next acts of kindness.

April 12, 2023 20:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Brad Heald
21:32 Apr 20, 2023

A clear and necessary message. Thank you. Brianna was kind and generous. Loved the book contribution.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.