1 comment

Mystery

I watched as the ship was hit by another cannonball of glitter. 

“Not pink!” Felicity cried. “Pink is gross!”

“We can get them back.” I argued, a plan coming to mind. “With this.”

I held up the teddy bear of doom and Felicity gasped in horror. 

“Ellie, we couldn’t!” she insisted. “Mommy told us that getting even isn’t nice.”

“Yeah but mommy’s ship wasn’t covered in pink glitter. She doesn’t know what she’s talking about.” I argued.

Felicity smiled. “You’re right. Let’s get em. It’s only fair.”

The closet door burst open and we turned to see our Mom in the doorway. 

“What are you doing?” She asked.

“Me and Ellie were just about to attack our enemy’s ship with the teddy bear of doom.” Felicity explained.

Mom Laughed. “Well, you and Ellie need to come out for lunch. I made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.” She sang before she turned and started towards the kitchen.

Me and Felicity looked at each other before dropping everything we had. We ran out to the kitchen to see the sandwiches on our favorite ladybug plates. I jumped up on my chair and started eating while Felicity made her way into the kitchen for a cup of water.

We were both still too short to reach the cups on our own, so Mom leaned over Felicity and grabbed her a cup. Once Felicity had sat down at the table, mom’s phone started ringing.

“Hello?” She answered.

I looked over at Felicity, who had jelly everywhere. I laughed and she looked down at her hands, which were now sticky.

We heard mom saying something about dinner tonight and how she couldn't wait to meet someone and get to know them better.

“Okay, I can't wait. See you tonight.” Mom said hanging up the phone.

“Who was that?” I asked at the same time as Felicity.

“It was our new neighbor.” Mom replied. “She’s bringing her husband and her kids over tonight for dinner. I thought it would be a nice way to welcome them into the neighborhood and maybe you could be friends with her kids. I think their names are Allison and Jackson. I think Jackson's about nine and Allison is about your age, so maybe seven.” 

Felicity smiled and looked at me. I forced a smile, dreading the events of tonight. Nobody that had kids came over to our house often so we never got to know many kids outside of school, which is good for me but not so good for Felicity.

Felicity jumped off her chair and started running towards their room.

"Felicity!" Mom exclaimed chasing after her. "You need to clean up! Oh, I knew PB and J was a bad idea."

I laughed and finished my sandwich while Mom carried the messy Felicity into the bathroom. I walked into our bedroom and laid down on my bed, exhausted. It happened more and more these days, which meant the day it will happen is coming and it was here earlier than I thought. My eyes got heavier and I thought about Felicity as I drifted off to sleep.

*****

"Ellie? Are you awake?" Felicity questioned.

"I am now." I said, sitting up.

"Come on," Felicity grabbed my arm, dragging me towards the bathroom. "The new neighbors are almost here and Mom's going to braid my hair!"

Felicity brought me into the bathroom, where I sat on the counter watching Mom braid Felicity’s hair. I loved watching her hands magically move to make something so beautiful. Felicity also had really pretty brunette hair, which made the magic even better.

The doorbell rang right as Mom tied the hair tie into Felicity’s hair to hold the braid.

“That’s them.” Mom said before turning to the girls. “Remember, be on your best behavior.”

“Okay Mom.” The girls chimed in unison.

I watched as Mom disappeared around the corner to welcome our guests.

"Aren't you excited?" Felicity asked me.

I couldn't tell her anything, so like always, I smiled and nodded.

"Of course I am."

"Me too!" Felicity giggled as she ran away.

I took a deep breath and followed her.

In the doorway stood a blonde woman wearing heels and a sundress. She was standing next to a tall man with very curly hair who had a bowl a bowl of what looked like pasta salad in his hands. Their daughter hid behind them and the little boy eagerly introduced himself to Felicity.

"I'm Jackson." He said. "What's your name?"

"I'm Felicity." She responded.

I walked over to her and leaned over to her ear. "Tell him about the swings." I whispered.

Felicity's face lit up as my fingers and toes started to tingle. "Do you want to see my swing set?" She asked him.

Jackson looked over his shoulder at his sister. "Can my sister Allison come?"

Felicity looked over at Allison and said, "Of course."

I watched as Allison slowly looked up at her mom who nodded, telling her it was okay if she went.

I slowly followed the three as they ran outside. The tingling slowly made it's way towards my head, but I was set on making it to Felicity one last time.

I eventually made my way to a crawl, going out the back door and looking over the porch ledge to see Felicity, Allison, and Jackson on the swings. I watched as Felicity laughed, going up and down in the air. She loved the swings more than anything and the sight of her laughing made me satisfied. I had done my job.

I knew it was time but I tried to fight it off as long as I could. This was the hardest part about being an imaginary friend, having to leave when it's time. Felicity has been my favorite friend by far, but soon, she'll forget me and I'll have another child to look after.

I thought about our many adventures together. Her first day of school when she spilled her juice all over her new clothes. Jumping on the bed trying not to fall into the lava. My memories of her were just like my memories of Patrick, Lillian, or any other children I got the privilege to be friends with, but there was always something different about Felicity. I think it's because she reminds me of me, and I know she'll go farther in life than I ever had the chance to.

The tingling was now at my neck as I faded away.

"Goodbye, Felicity." I whispered. "Goodbye."

I let myself fully fade and got one last look at Felicity to remember forever.


May 22, 2020 00:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Tvisha Yerra
18:11 May 24, 2020

Aww! This story is so cute! Just saying, if you want more publicity, you might want to start commenting on other people's stories. Wish you luck on other stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.