0 comments

Fiction Sad Teens & Young Adult

Kimmy, Jena, Liz, Robbie, and Jerry had been planning this day for weeks. They were all eager to explore the city and try out new restaurants together. As they gathered at their meeting spot, a cozy cafe in the heart of downtown, the excitement was palpable.

“Hey guys, are we all set for today?” Kimmy asked as she sipped on her latte.

“Yeah, I can’t wait to check out that new food truck park everyone’s been raving about,” Liz chimed in.

“I heard they have the best tacos in town!” Robbie added enthusiastically.

Jena pulled out a map of the city.

“Alright, so first stop is the food truck park, then we can head over to the botanical gardens for a leisurely stroll.”

Jerry grinned. “And don’t forget about dessert! I found this amazing bakery that supposedly has the most decadent pastries.”

And so their adventure began. They made their way to the food truck park, sampling everything from gourmet burgers to exotic fusion dishes.

After their satisfying feast at the food truck park, they headed to the botanical gardens. The lush greenery and vibrant flowers provided a serene backdrop for their leisurely stroll. They meandered through winding paths, stopping to admire colorful blooms and rare plant species.

“This place is so beautiful,” Jena remarked as she snapped photos of a particularly striking orchid.

“I feel like I’m in a fairy tale,” Liz added dreamily.

As they left the botanical gardens, Jerry led them to the bakery he had discovered. The moment they stepped inside, they were greeted by a heavenly aroma of freshly baked goods. Display cases were filled with an array of pastries, cakes, and cookies that looked almost too pretty to eat.

“I’ll take one of everything!” Kimmy joked as she eyed a display of colorful macarons. As the group entered the vibrant arcade, the sound of games and laughter filled the air. Jena’s eyes lit up as she spotted the claw machine in the corner. “I’m going to win that fluffy unicorn!” she declared with determination.

Liz and Robbie headed straight for the racing games, each challenging the other to a friendly competition. “You’re going down this time,” Liz teased as she selected her car.

Meanwhile, Jerry found himself drawn to the basketball hoops, showcasing his impressive shooting skills to his friends. “Nothing but net!” he exclaimed after sinking a perfect shot.

Kimmy, on the other hand, couldn’t resist the dance machine in the center of the arcade. With a mischievous grin, she beckoned her friends to join her. Soon enough, they were all grooving to the beat, earning cheers and applause from onlookers.

As the group left the arcade, the sky was painted in hues of orange and pink as the sun began its descent. Jena suggested they head to her house for a quick break before continuing their adventure. The friends eagerly agreed, looking forward to some refreshing drinks and more time to catch up.

Upon arriving at Jena’s house, they settled in her cozy living room, each grabbing a can of soda from the fridge. Liz plopped down on the couch, letting out a contented sigh. “This is exactly what I needed after all that dancing,” she said with a smile.

Robbie chimed in, “I think we should make ‘impromptu dance parties’ a regular thing on our outings!”

Kimmy laughed, nodding enthusiastically. “Yes! We could be known as the grooviest squad in town.”

Jerry finally spoke up. “I love how we can just be ourselves around each other. No judgments, just good times.” Kimmy couldn’t help but feel a pang of sadness. She had recently found out that she would be moving away soon, and the thought of leaving her friends behind was unbearable.

She looked around the room, taking in the sight of her friends, each one unique, yet all connected by their bond.

Seeing her friend’s downcast expression, Jena asked, “Kimmy, is everything okay?”

Kimmy hesitated before answering. “I’ve been keeping something from you guys. I found out that I have to move away soon, and I don’t know how to tell you all.”

The room fell silent as the friends processed the news. Liz was the first to speak up. “Kimmy, we’re here for you. No matter where you go, we’ll always be your friends.”


The friends decided to take selfies, wanting to capture the moment and create a memory that they could look back on. They gathered around Jena’s phone, making silly faces and striking poses. After a few tries, they managed to take the perfect shot, with everyone smiling and looking happy.

As they looked at the photo, Robbie said, “We should make a scrapbook of all our adventures. This way, we’ll always have something to remind us of the good times we’ve had together.”

The idea was met with enthusiasm, and the friends spent the next hour going through old photos and reminiscing about their past adventures. They made a list of all the places they had visited and the food they had eaten, promising to add more memories to the scrapbook.


As the evening drew to a close, the friends realized that it was time to say goodbye. They gathered in a group hug, each one promising to stay in touch and visit each other as much as possible.

Kimmy fought back tears as she said her goodbyes. “Thank you all for being the best friends I could ever ask for. I’ll never forget the memories we’ve made together.”

As the friends parted ways, they knew that their bond would remain unbroken, no matter the distance. As Kimmy boarded her train, Jena couldn’t hold back her tears any longer. She watched her best friend disappear into the crowd, feeling a deep sense of loss already settling in her heart. Liz put a comforting hand on Jena’s shoulder, silently sharing in her grief.

Robbie and Jerry stood by, their expressions somber as they too felt the weight of Kimmy’s departure. The group had been inseparable for years, and the thought of not having Kimmy around was hard to bear.

Jena wiped away her tears and turned to the rest of the group. “I’m going to miss her so much,” she said softly.

Liz nodded in agreement. “Me too. But we’ll always have these memories to hold onto.”

Robbie chimed in, trying to lighten the mood. “Remember that time Kimmy accidentally ordered that spicy dish and we all ended up crying from the heat?”

Jerry chuckled at the memory. “Or when we got lost in that maze at the amusement park and had to find our way out before it closed?”

The friends shared a bittersweet laugh, reminiscing about all the adventures they had shared together.

Though Kimmy was now gone, her presence would always linger in their hearts.

As they walked back to their cars, the friends made a silent vow to keep their friendship alive despite the distance that now separated them.

They knew that no matter where life took them, they would always have each other.

And so, as they drove off into the night, a sense of hope filled their hearts - knowing that this was not goodbye forever, but simply farewell for now.

March 31, 2024 05:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.