Losing home but gaining friends

Submitted into Contest #98 in response to: Write a story involving a character who cannot return home.... view prompt

1 comment

Friendship Mystery Science Fiction

        Moving towards the bug scuttling past Bean-M0A watching movements of the insect’s legs closely, analysing what he has to follow to appear as the bug to the “humans” he’s hiding from on this planet. He attempts to use his dead illusion disc to appear like the bug and jumps as it sparks bright yellow fire, expelling the disc from his body to the floor with a ping dulled by the dust covering it. His eye move to the black and broken illusion disc, then to the bug that stares at him before scattering away to the dark corners of the room away from the light.

              The baseball sized, one eyed black robot sighs before plopping himself on the floor. Looking at the floor and watching the dust particles flow past him on the gusts of wind. His legs morph to small nubs that keep him steady as he rests and he powers down, too tired to tax his mechanical mind of what to do next on this planet. His eye lids close over his eye camera and he sleeps to recharge, exhausted from desperately trying to fit into this strange world and survive.

              The little sound of the empty room only broken by the sounds of the door being kicked in and shattering on the floor, shouting and laughing from a group rowdy teenagers filling the old house as they explore for anything of value they can steal and sell. The clatter alerting a very tired Bean-M0A to their presence in the house, slowly powering on his systems however much slower than usual as he’s only had half an hour to rest.

              The leader stomps over loudly and picks up the little robot up off the floor like he would a normal ball, the weak fight nothing more than a few gentle pokes of his palm. Waking up as everyone watches the robot in fascinated child-like wander, Bean-M0A starts to see his soundings once more, the faces of the fascinated “humans” staring at him with their colourful eyes. It takes a couple moments for this to register after he stretches like a cat and settles on the palms he is sitting in.

              He blinks a couple times and leaps up in fright at the large faces in front of him, his flexible ‘skin’ turning yellow as his sudden scare. Catching him in the air, the leader places Bean-M0A under a box he found on the floor and someone sits on it so he’s going nowhere. Terrified whining and scratching begins to come from the little robot in the darkness and what sounds like terrified crying from inside the box. They did want to talk in private but it quickly becomes too hard to listen to the sounds of a scared child.

              They quickly release the petrified robot and keep their distance on the other side of the room as his colour becomes black once more over several minutes, shaking and defenceless against the tall pale creatures in front of him who held him like a mere toy then trapped him in deep darkness. Shuffling into the corner to hide in the shadows and calm himself while he is still upset.

              He glances up at some ruffling in bags and an opened chocolate bar is slid across the floor to in front of him, everyone moving back as he moves forward into the light. He looks at the coco treat and pokes it a couple times, determining it is not alive he scans for the nutrition. Intrigued by the sugar content he gets a bite with the mouth he rarely forms, lighting up at the taste now in his system and eating through the whole delicious bar in a flash. Almost recharged without sleeping somehow after just eating.

              His change from dirty yellow to bright forest green reliving stress from the nervous group watching him, the leader approaching slowly as it not alarm the little robot more than he has been already. Bean-M0A scans everything from fingernail to blood cell and gingerly steps on the boy’s hands, curious as he sees the change in mood coinciding with his own.

              “Hey little guy, who are you?” The teenager stands up slowly as his tone is much quieter than before, what you’d expect for working with a child. As threatening to many at his appearance but he melts at their adorable little friend they have found, his friends are equally as uninviting by appearance but happy to see their adorable potential companion happy.

              Staring at the “humans” he calibrates his voice to be pleasant to them, the child like robotic voice making it harder to not love him. “Hello. I am Bean-M0A.” The group struggles to not break out in noises of happiness at how darn cute this little guy is, one of them touch the little leg that he extends forward to get what he thinks is called a “hand shake”. The person who shook his hand exploding in euphoric happiness eternally as she holds in her ecstatic giggles.

              Their leader composes himself somewhat best he can and speaks again once in the same quiet voice. “Where do you come from Bean-M0A?” Turning to face the person he’s touching Bean-M0A forms a propeller on his head and flies to the window. Scanning location of the planet and  pointing to the cloudless sunny sky above them. He becomes a light blue similar to that of the sky, the thought of flying through the air calming him.

              “I come from the galaxy outside this atmosphere.” His voice somewhat sad and he returns to the hands pervious holding him off the ground. His head returns to being round and the propellers retract into his body. He looks at feeling fingers tap his head, head pats right? Head pats seem nice…

              A quick and very easy conversation between everyone ending with the group claiming Bean-M0A as their new mascot and friend, all ready to be the best friends and family this robot has ever has the whole galaxy.

June 13, 2021 15:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Trishna Pandey
08:49 Jun 20, 2021

This is such a cute story. Seems a little incomplete though.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.