1 comment

Friendship Coming of Age Urban Fantasy

“Are you coming tonight?”

“Tonight?”

“To Zee’s?” Luna’s eyes flickered away from the fluorescent screen before her for half a second to take in the blank look on her friend’s face. “For Jana’s birthday? Hello?”

Xander hadn’t forgotten the party, of course. How could he? It had been at the forefront of his thoughts since the moment he woke up, taunting him each time he glimpsed the time. Part of him had hoped that the festivities might have slipped Luna’s mind, though, at least for long enough that she might not remind him of the event. Perhaps then he could have skipped it altogether. But between the constant stream of texts popping up on her new lens screens and the buzz in her implant with each new notification from Blazt, Luna never forgot a special occasion. Unlike Xander, she didn’t want to forget.

Luna rolled her eyes when the boy fell predictably quiet. “You’re not going to ditch again, are you?” Sighing, she removed the frames from her face, and the colorful lenses faded to black almost as quickly as Xander’s cheeks grew red. The flush was enough to confirm Luna’s hunch. “You’re turning into a real shut-in, you know that?”

A faint buzz sounded as the chip in Luna’s wrist lit, the light blue hue emphasizing the thin veins just beneath the surface of her pale skin. Luna tapped at the light, switching off it’s sickly glow, and turned back to Xander, crossing her arms impatiently. She wanted an explanation. And knowing Luna, she wouldn’t be willing to wait long.

Xander rubbed the back of his neck. He could try to be honest, he supposed, and tell her he just didn’t feel like hanging out tonight. His body was sore and his brain, tired. An evening socializing was the last thing he was interested in.

But then Luna’s wrist lit up again, reminding Xander that Luna would never accept such an explanation. She lived for the bright lights and deafening noises that were parties at Zee’s place, and found solace in the shoulder to shoulder crowds as an entire city block tried to crowd into a single bedroom flat. Which was all well and good for her - but she always insisted on roping him into the commotion, saying she’d feel bad if he were left out. How could he explain that he’d feel worse if he were included?

“Look, I wish I could be there tonight, but…”

“But?” Luna raised a brow.

“But… In this weather, I’ll never find a spot on the Air Rail.” As if on cue, a low rumble of thunder sounded in the distance, warning those on the streets to hurry home at once. “I mean, I’d be lucky to get to Zee’s place at all! You know how busy South Station gets on a Friday.”

It was a weak excuse, and both knew it. Luna shrugged. “Don’t take the Rail, then. It’s, what, a ten minute walk?”

“The acid index is the highest it’s been all summer, though, and the rain will start any minute now. It’s not safe to walk around in these conditions.”

“So, wear your helmet,” Luna retorted, motioning to the clunky metal mask abandoned beside the front door. “What’s the issue?” Though not the most attractive accessory, Xander’s helmet was among the best on the market, built with a solid aluminum surface and soft leather interiors for total comfort in every condition. Nearly everyone had a helmet of some kind these days; it wasn’t as though anyone would look twice if Xander went out in his.

For a moment, Xander considered simply dropping the argument and leaving it at that. She was his friend, after all; so were Jana, and even Zee to an extent. And honestly, he and Luna did usually end up having a good time at whatever noughties bar she dragged him to (on the rare occasion she got him out the front door, of course) just like she promised they would. It was the morning after that was the real issue, when he’d be left feeling so drained that he could barely cope for the rest of the weekend. He’d curse himself for giving into Luna’s pleas now - he always did.

Xander couldn’t do that to himself today. After a long week of work, his back was aching, his eyes were blurring, his bones were creaking - there was no way he was going to spend his night off listening to some mind numbing bass reverberating off Zee’s paper-thin dry-wall as he drowned his sorrows in cheap corner store beer. So, Xander kept pushing. Hopefully, Luna wouldn’t resent him for it.

“It’s such a pain to lug that thing around, Luna. I don’t want to carry it around all evening. And I’m not leaving it unattended around Zee.”

Luna looked the boy before her up and down, her expression caught somewhere between bemusement and frustration. He could tell that her mind was whirring behind her wide, ice-blue eyes, just as it always was, but for several long moments she said nothing at all. What was going through her head now?

Once again, her implant buzzed, and instantly Luna snapped back from her distant thoughts. “Fine then, ditch,” she murmured, absently tapping at the chip with her free hand. She didn’t say it, but it was obvious that she was hurt by his decision.

A heavy weight settled in the pit of Xander’s stomach. “Hey, it’s just a party-”

“When’s the last time you came out with us, Xander? 2027? 2028?”

His mouth went dry. “I- Well, er… I mean, that wasn’t that long ago.”

“It’s long enough!” Luna snapped, jabbing her finger into his chest. “Look, if you don’t like us anymore, could you let me know? Because I am so tired of getting my hopes up for nothing!”

“Getting your hopes up? For me?”

“Yes, for you! Who else? For Zee? Hardly!” Grunting, Luna stomped out of the room, only just remembering to snatch her jacket from a coat hook near the door on the way out. Just before slamming the door behind her, she poked her head through the frame to shout, “Get a clue, dude!”

And though the thump of his door being slammed shut should have been a noise of anger, Xander couldn’t help but smile as echo pounded in his mind. Maybe, just maybe, he would give the next party a try.

July 28, 2021 12:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Danny G
22:07 Aug 04, 2021

I liked this story, the near-distant future sounds interesting and would like to know more (the tech, the acid rain, etc) if it was ever expanded on. I did notice one thing in this sentence: Luna looked the boy before her up and down Is it missing an "at" after Luna looked? Good story and well done :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.