Apple Picking

Submitted into Contest #63 in response to: Write about two characters going apple picking.... view prompt

2 comments

Romance

Apple Picking

Annie picked up the phone, “Hello! Annie here.”

“Hi there!” It was Ivan’s voice, which in spite of everything, sent a tingle down her spine.

“Would you like to go apple picking? It is good weather for a run along the coast and it should only take an hour to get there. We can stop half way somewhere, for a picnic tea. I have a hamper from Farthings which should fill a gap.”

He had chosen the one thing above all, that would entice her to accept the invitation.

“Alright ,” said Annie, “but expect to carry on with the argument from last night!”

Ivan gave a snort of laughter.

“OK, pick you up in 40.”

Annie had forty minutes to wash her breakfast dishes and get dressed. It would take a lot of self discipline to see Ivan and not carry on with their last argument.

They  had quarrelled so badly, that it had seemed to be the end of their relationship, which had blossomed recently.  But  he had chosen one of her favourite pastimes that only came round once a year, apple picking.

Ivan hooted and ran up the steps to meet her. Annie looked at him closely to see if she could see any signs of last night’s temper. No, nothing, he looked as good looking as ever, dark brown eyes twinkling at her, his pullover slung over the shoulder and neat jeans showing of his lean figure. He worked at keeping  fit, you had to give him that.

 She remembered the days with her parents when she was still a child, bobbing for apples. Apples are so buoyant, that they lend themselves to this childish game.

 She remembered the excitement, when she was older, of going around the apple orchards of  the  farms  that were open to the public. You could pick apples all day if you felt like it. And they did!

The farmers would first of all, give a talk in the apple sheds, on how to pick apples.

“You have to treat apples gently because they bruise easily. The proper technique for apple picking is to grab the apple firmly without squeezing it and using a twisting motion, pluck it from the tree so that the apple stem and apple are still intact.”

Then there was the fun of preparing storage space for apples picked, so that they could last for months, or a year and still be fresh. If you did not have a root cellar, you could keep them in newspaper in a box or basket.

Each apple would be wrapped individually in sheets of newspaper. This prevented contact between apples.

Bruised apples would be used for making apple cider and Annie’s mother would make a large quantity of this, leaving it to ferment for days, in the garden shed, with yeast and sugar.

Apples with fewer bruises would be made into apple sauce. Nothing was wasted.

The apple sauce and cider would keep for a year or more until the next apple picking season came.

Annie was ecstatic  to be going apple picking. She forgot temporarily, that they had had their first quarrel the previous day. The angry discussion had been about Ivan not letting her know when he would be a few hours late for a date.

“I mean, you were not only one hour late on Wednesday, for going out for dinner , you were three hours late! And there I was starving, without the faintest  prospect of getting  food that evening! You knew very well that I had not gone shopping that day. You also knew that we missed our lunch break because you had to finish some work in the office.  It is just not acceptable behaviour.”

“ I hope that we can come to some kind of solution during today. Let us see how to work something out!”

Ivan’s car spun down the road, it was a new Ford focus model of which he was very proud. As CEO of the company where they both worked, he had the choice of cars for his personal use. He particularly liked the Ford Focus Active due to it being equipped with the latest technology. He was into technology. Annie regarded his know ledge and work ethics with respect. It was his seemingly cavalier behaviour towards her, that she resented.

He pointed out in the distance, an offshore Wind Farm.

“They use iPhone technology to help Vestas in the manufacture of wind turbines. “

“What is Vestas?” asked Annie.

“They are the company that make wind turbines and also have developed one of the most accurate weather forecasting systems. They are a Danish company based in Aarhus Denmark.”

Just then Ivan pulled the car off the road into a parking lot next to the river  Rother.

“Come along let’s have tea ,” throwing a tartan rug on the grassy banks of the river, Ivan spread out the cakes and savouries from Farthings.

“ I don’t want to cast up our differences from yesterday but Ivan the problem is still unresolved.”

“It is all of your making Annie. Why can’t we just enjoy today? You know we ought not to be fraternising at all and that as CEO I have to be on call almost 24 hours a day. Whenever there is a crisis I am the first contact person. I then have to drop everything, including you. Let us enjoy today and see if we can reach a compromise.”

“But it happens so often that you forget to keep a date and then I wait for you, feeling totally despondent.”

It was perfect autumn weather and Annie was thinking how wonderful it was, to be on this apple picking excursion. She loved the autumnal breeze blowing off the sea, the scudding clouds, birds and the shrilling calls of the kingfishers. She was already imagining going inside the orchards with her basket and choosing the best looking apples. She would not be able to pick as many as she and her mother were used to do, because she did not have enough space or facilities for making cider. Nevertheless she would be able to store a lot of apples in her pantry in her apartment. She would be able to eat fresh, crisp apples all year round.

“Time to go! Nice we missed the crowds being early today at this picnic spot.”

They got in the car and Ivan drove further down the coast road, not stopping at the more obvious apple farms. They passed Orpington, Ashington, Chart Farm and  even Hartfords.  Hartfords had  the best Ambrosia apples.

 On they went.

Annie thought, Ivan must know of a really good farm to have passed all those! But then he was so intelligent that he must know of a good place. He always had an answer for everything.

“ Ivan I hope you know where you are going?”

“Of course I know! I know this area like the back of my hand! Born in these parts and the parents live down here. They have their own business. I will take you to meet them.”

The further they drove, the more doubtful Annie became. But then Ivan seemed to know where he was heading.

As they drew near to Romney Marsh, Ivan began to slow down. He turned into a parking area, stopped the car and helped Annie out.

Walking through the revolving door of a large office building, Ivan nodded at the staff sitting at the front desks.

“Are the parents in?” he asked. He guided Annie to an inner office where he introduced her to   “Claire Watters, my mother” and behind the main desk, “ Andrew Watters, my father.”

 Annie was impressed with the youthful looks of Ivan’s parents. No surprise from where Ivan got his looks!

“I hoped to show Annie some of your stuff.”

Claire Watters led them through to a display area where there were a lot of devices.

“Pick an apple Annie!” said Ivan smiling at her. Take one as a birthday gift from me. And take my advice and throw that monstrosity of an antiquated thing you call a cell phone away. If you take one of these apples, we can always stay in touch, even when I am late for a date!”

October 15, 2020 09:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

07:46 Oct 23, 2020

thank you for reading my story. I do only mention the one quarrel of the previouos day which Annie discusses .

Reply

Show 0 replies
13:16 Oct 22, 2020

Very good narration and description. I liked the plot twist that for him Apple was a phone, not the fruit lol. I do however feel about their fight, you mentioned it was big and their first, but in the story, you refer to other similar fights, just need to keep it consistent.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.