4 comments

General

Shattered. Now that is one way of describing how I feel, as I stare intently at my reflection in front of me; into the mirror that is also shattered. Shattered is what my heart is right now, as I recall the past 12 hours. I feel so ugly, so incomplete, but that must be a very discourteous thing of me think. There are people in much worse conditions, which have more of a reason to consider themselves as less desirable than me. However, I cannot help but feel so troubled by my appearance. The whole left side of my face is burned, my left eye is completely swollen; therefore I am unable to open it. The burns are dark red and wrinkly. Still gazing upon my mirror at my imperfections, I gradually raise my hand and then once it makes contact with my face, it caresses the burn carefully. How many layers of skin does a third degree burn seep through? Like three, right? Now that is tough. I ought to be at the hospital now, getting this somewhat fixed, but I won’t. More like I can’t. I’ve taken an abundant amount of pills and drowned my face in water and ointments. If I step foot, anywhere near a hospital, then my damaged face, will be the least of my worries. I will be as good as dead and to be honest, I think I’d rather the imperfection then a sudden ending to my existence. 

“Caitlin, you here?” I rugged voice calls. 

Crap…now that would be Kano, my boyfriend. Of course he knows that I am here, how could I be so stupid? I quickly rush to grab my backpack from my closet, shoving all the clothes that I’d got burnt in, inside and a couple things that I may need. Kano continues to call my name downstairs and I hear his steps drawing closer to the steps. Panic overwhelms me and I hastily make my way towards the exit, the window. I open my window and swing my legs right through. My eyes drop down to the surface below and I feel the sweat drizzle from my forehead and splash onto the cement below. Some may say that it isn’t far of a drop, just one story, but I would have to disagree. If I were to land awkwardly then there is no going anywhere for me. I think about turning back and then I hear my door thrust open. I whip my head around and I spot Kano. He stands meters away and looks at me surprised.

“Shit,” I curse.  

“Ohmygod, Caitlin?” He says. It’s my blemish, I know that is what he’s looking at. Oh god, I didn’t want him to see me like this or at all for that matter. I can’t explain right now. So I push myself out the window before he could say anymore. I land on my feet and fall forward onto my hands. My long, dark hair tumbles in front of my face and I simply flip it back and out of the way before getting back onto my feet. I don’t turn around, I just run, right down the sidewalk. I pull my hoodie over my head, shielding myself away from the world. I have absolutely no idea where I could possibly go or who could help me. All I know is that I am on the run, and must keep running. If the cops catch me, then I am automatically sentenced to life in prison, and quite frankly, orange is not typically a good colour on me. My mom is dead, my dad is dead, my 12 year old sister is dead, so I am the only one left. The only one they are after. I am the girl with the black hair and purple coloured eyes, that was born amongst a family with black hair and blue eyes. That’s not allowed. If you’re different then the rest, you die. They call us the “unnatural” the 30 percent of the population that gets hunted down and killed. My family died trying to save me as the cops lit my father’s house on fire, trying to flush me out or kill me. 

“Find Kano.” Were my mother’s final words, but I can’t drag him into this or they will kill him too. Accomplices or basically accessories die, if surrender, there is a chance at life imprisonment instead of death. I check behind me periodically to see if I am being followed, to make sure I am not being watched and thankfully I’m not. However, a rather large fence is coming up. I’ve never hopped one so high before, but there is no other way of getting around this road then hopping it. So once at the fence I tie my uneven, dark hair back, adjust my backpack on my back and leap at the fence. Halfway up the fence and I hear sirens from a far. No, no, they’ve found me. I climb faster. I can hear the sirens getting closer and closer. My heart begins to pound against my chest and my palms begin to sweat rapidly, making it much harder for me to climb. The sirens sound like they are approaching the street that I am on. 

“Cait, come on!” Someone shouts. 

I swing my legs over the edge of the fence and look further down the street and spot Kano by his car, motioning for me to come. I look back and forth between the police cars—that are now meters away— and Kano who continues calling my name and motioning for me to hurry. 

I choose Kano. I leap from the fence and land badly on my ankle and fall forward. 

“Fuck,” I curse. I don’t let that stop me though, I limp run towards Kano, but then I hear a gun go off and a bullet strike me right in the shoulder, causing me to fall forward. It’s over. Not all stories have happy endings. I’m different, they fear me and for that, here they are, making there way to my fallen body to kill me. 


May 20, 2020 01:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Natalie Leinbach
02:12 May 28, 2020

Hi Sarah! This concept is crazy interesting and I think it would do well as a longer piece. If you revisit this idea to build a longer story, I think it could be really interesting. I want to let you know that I was distracted by many simple grammatical errors throughout your writing. To really suck your readers into a great concept like this, I would advise writing first and then the next day, reread it, and then read it aloud. This will help you with the flow of each sentence. It can be really helpful for catching things that you might gla...

Reply

Sarah Demary
21:46 May 28, 2020

Wow...thank you so much! This really helps and everything you said, I didn't even notice. That's so great!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A. Y. R
17:23 May 26, 2020

So gripping! So tense! And I love this dystopian world you've created! Would love to know more about it!

Reply

Sarah Demary
01:45 May 27, 2020

Aha, thx a bunch! After romance, they are my favourite to write, glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.